Freedom!!! (Scotland to vote on secession.)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think they stay with Britain, but it harms nothing to throw a scare into the English. Should be better treatment downstream...

Earle ("Boyd") Self

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Full of nationalism, blue clay and scotch, separation sounds great.

Viewed in cold facts, after the adrenaline has passed, they're just too intertwined economically to make separation a good alternative for the citizenry.

One of the major industries in Scotland is shipbuilding -- a large portion of which is for the Royal Navy. If Scotland is a separate country, that industry absolutely must move south. It's a matter of national security that you don't have your navy dependent on the good will of a bunch of foreigners.

That, and the major naval base (and the UK's answer to our Naval Academy in Annapolis), Scapa Flow, also moves south. You simply can't have a significant portion of your navy docked in, and the vast majority of your naval officers educated on, foreign soil.

Strutting around in kilts, blue clay and plaits, bellowing "Freeeeeeeedddddoooooommmmm!!!!" feels good in the moment. It doesn't pay the bills.

I think Scotland stays in the UK.

Last edited:

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Ironically, the reason the two are even joined in the first place is because the Scottish King moved south to become King of England, resulting in the Union of the two Crowns. Mel Wallace makes people think there was a hostile takeover that lasted unjustly to this day.

IMO, they should remain in Union. Separating just burns perfectly good bridges for no good reason. Heck, Scotland and England have been in Union since before America was a country.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Strutting around in kilts, blue clay and plaits, bellowing "Freeeeeeeedddddoooooommmmm!!!!" feels good in the moment. It doesn't pay the bills.

I think Scotland stays in the UK.
I think you're right.
For all the blue lightning bolts and such, the Scots voted their country into oblivion in 1707. For money.
At least the Irish were serious about independence. Inept for much of the time, but serious.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
MY middle name (mom's maiden name) is "Boyd," light-haired in Gaelic. I have a Boyd tie and a Boyd scarf, but no Boyd kilt yet...
I am Connor MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod. I was born in 1518 in the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. And I am immortal.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.