Who are black leaders, IMO

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Someone asked me who would I consider a 'black leader.' I didn't know at the time, but after thinking about it I have come to the conclusion that a black leader is someone who does the right thing even when someone isn't looking. Also, I think it is someone who takes care of their family without someone asking them to and who doesn't look for a hand out. One thing I look for is someone who has an opinion and stands behind that opinion regardless of what someone says. Someone who stands for what's right, who is accountable, and especially someone who is logical. Those guys are few and far between to me. You can't call Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton any of that because they need certain things that are illogical to me. They don't have real jobs, they hurt other people just to gain what they want. That's just a little something from me. Roll Tide, y'all.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Someone asked me who would I consider a 'black leader.' I didn't know at the time, but after thinking about it I have come to the conclusion that a black leader is someone who does the right thing even when someone isn't looking. Also, I think it is someone who takes care of their family without someone asking them to and who doesn't look for a hand out. One thing I look for is someone who has an opinion and stands behind that opinion regardless of what someone says. Someone who stands for what's right, who is accountable, and especially someone who is logical. Those guys are few and far between to me. You can't call Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton any of that because they need certain things that are illogical to me. They don't have real jobs, they hurt other people just to gain what they want. That's just a little something from me. Roll Tide, y'all.
I don't think real "black leaders" are always headed for the nearest TV camera...

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Thank you for this discussion. A few I know about are Larry Elder, Walter Williams, Ben Carson, Mia Love, Kevin Jackson, and Alan Keyes. Thomas Sowell is an excellent suggestion.

Edit: Add Wayne Dupree and Lloyd Marcus

Last edited:
One thing I've found out about today's so called leaders is that they need all these "flaws" in America. If it weren't for these flaws, racist cops, white supremacy, MSNBC, etc. they would be out of a job. They don't want to held accountable so they cry wolf, when that's exactly what they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
One thing I've found out about today's so called leaders is that they need all these "flaws" in America. If it weren't for these flaws, racist cops, white supremacy, MSNBC, etc. they would be out of a job. They don't want to held accountable so they cry wolf, when that's exactly what they are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Poverty pimps exploit these situations to make themselves richer. They thrive on chaos.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
While the above traits are all admirable, they are still only traits of an individual. They speak nothing of being able to motivate others to follow in their footsteps.
Thomas Sowell has his head in the right place and is a fine individual. However he has shown neither the talent nor the propensity to lead the masses of the black community in the direction of personal responsibility and righteousness.
What the black community needs is someone who will first stand up to them and convince them that as a "community" they are headed in the wrong direction. Then that person must be able to reverse their motivations and head in the right direction.
Granted, there are several individuals withing the black community who lead fine, upstanding lives and do things as they should be done. However as of yet, I have not seen a single "leader" amongst them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Here's my unpopular take on why people like Bill Cosby and others named in this thread cannot spark change within the black community.

Many in the black community have a lot of angst towards anything that is perceived to be a part of the white culture. They don't want any part of it. So when you have people like Bill Cosby call out black people for the way they talk, dress and act. They automatically dismiss him because what he's asking them to do is considered "acting white" in their minds. Even though what he's asking them to do is basically talk, dress and act like main stream society. Not "like white people". It's not just white people doing what he's asking them to do. People from all races make an effort to dress, speak and act in a manner that is accepted in main stream society. Yet you see so many black people speaking, dressing and acting in a manner that simply is not and will not be accepted by the main stream. Whether it be in business or social arena. I've listened to him and other black people like him (Stephen A Smith comes to mind) continue to tell the black community that the thug, ghetto, rap culture and dialect simply is not and will not be accepted by main stream society. So if they want to be successful they better ditch it. Yet their words and advice fall on def ears. It seems many are hell bent on forcing main stream society to accept the above mentioned culture/lifestyle even if it means hurting their ability to succeed in society.

That is why Bill Cosby gets so much backlash when he says "Pull your pants up, speak proper English etc.". Many in the black community perceive what he's wanting them to do is dress and speak like white people and they don't like it.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Here's my unpopular take on why people like Bill Cosby and others named in this thread cannot spark change within the black community.

Many in the black community have a lot of angst towards anything that is perceived to be a part of the white culture. They don't want any part of it. So when you have people like Bill Cosby call out black people for the way they talk, dress and act. They automatically dismiss him because what he's asking them to do is considered "acting white" in their minds. Even though what he's asking them to do is basically talk, dress and act like main stream society. Not "like white people". It's not just white people doing what he's asking them to do. People from all races make an effort to dress, speak and act in a manner that is accepted in main stream society. Yet you see so many black people speaking, dressing and acting in a manner that simply is not and will not be accepted by the main stream. Whether it be in business or social arena. I've listened to him and other black people like him (Stephen A Smith comes to mind) continue to tell the black community that the thug, ghetto, rap culture and dialect simply is not and will not be accepted by main stream society. So if they want to be successful they better ditch it. Yet their words and advice fall on def ears. It seems many are hell bent on forcing main stream society to accept the above mentioned culture/lifestyle even if it means hurting their ability to succeed in society.

That is why Bill Cosby gets so much backlash when he says "Pull your pants up, speak proper English etc.". Many in the black community perceive that what he's wanting them to dress and speak like are white people and they don't like it.

If you want to walk around with your pants hanging down your arse, like prisoners do, then you're setting yourself up for that lifestyle/culture. I think I shocked a guy one day in Katy, he had his pants hanging down his butt in the grocery store and I told him "Pull up your pants, this is Katy not the 3rd Ward. No one here wants to see your underwear." He mumbled something and I said "What did you say?" and he turned and walked off, but he pulled up his pants. You can say it's up to the "black" leaders to say something, but it's also up to all of us.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Would to God we just had leaders. Why can't black people draw inspiration from a white man or woman? Why can't a young white person draw inspiration from a black man or woman? Greatness is greatness. Accountability and responsibility are what they are. These things look no different in a black person than they do in a white person.

I am inspired by people like Shaun Alexander, Andrew Zow, Julio Jones, just as much as I am inspired by people like Jay Barker and Greg McElroy (to use examples from the Alabama football world). When folks get to the point that they don't consider race when drawing inspiration from others, then we'll have moved closer to where we need to be as a society. When we get to the point that we don't have to use race or color as an adjective, then we'll have moved closer to where we need to be as a society. JMO.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Would to God we just had leaders. Why can't black people draw inspiration from a white man or woman? Why can't a young white person draw inspiration from a black man or woman? Greatness is greatness. Accountability and responsibility are what they are. These things look no different in a black person than they do in a white person.

I am inspired by people like Shaun Alexander, Andrew Zow, Julio Jones, just as much as I am inspired by people like Jay Barker and Greg McElroy (to use examples from the Alabama football world). When folks get to the point that they don't consider race when drawing inspiration from others, then we'll have moved closer to where we need to be as a society. When we get to the point that we don't have to use race or color as an adjective, then we'll have moved closer to where we need to be as a society. JMO.
It's how people are raised. If a child is raised to hate or despise a certain race then that's what they'll do as adults.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I know some of you will not want to hear this, but what they need is what we all need, a relationship with God. Not a certain preacher or religion but God Himself. I fail every day but I always confess it to Him and He forgives me and sends me out again...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.