Braxton Miller Reinjured Right Shoulder- Playing Status for the season in Jeopardy

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Fiu weighs in:
Miller wasn’t supposed to have big problems with his banged up shoulder after undergoing minor surgery this offseason, but now the Big Ten and national title picture have become far more interesting now that he's out for the year. Welcome to J.T. Barrett, yet another superstar Ohio State dual-threat quarterback recruit who suffered an injured knee, but has had a few years to get everything back to normal - now he's 100%, and he'll be thrust into the spotlight. The biggest key for Ohio State going forward? Welcome to the schedule. Who are the Buckeyes going to lose to before November 8th? Navy? Virginia Tech? Kent State? Cincinnati? Rutgers? Penn State? Illinois? You could play quarterback for OSU – and dot the I in the process – and the Buckeyes would be undefeated against that slate. However, going to Maryland on October 4th might be dangerous without the two-time Big Ten Player of the Year. But the key will be the showdown against Michigan State in East Lansing in early November, and Barrett will have eight games under his belt and the defense should be in full froth mode. And then there’s the brave new world of College Football Playoff and how the committee is going to think. If the team is getting better and better under Barrett, and Ohio State is, say, 9-1, maybe the committee thinks the team could go from good to four-worthy as the year goes on. In any event, Ohio State was probably an 11-1 team with Miller, and it’s probably an 11-1 team without him. It just won’t be as impressive.
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1433859.html

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
OSU plays only one team in the preseason top 25 and that team is Michigan St. on into the season. Meyer will have a few weeks to get some game experience from a couple of kids who have not played.

I do not want to see any kid hurt, no matter what team they play for. Miller is an outstanding athlete and had really improved his passing over the course of last season.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
What sucks about this is that Miller was a senior, probably won't get an opportunity in the NFL, and he is a fantastic collegiate player.

And yes, I still fully expect Ohio State to win 10 or 11 games and vie for the Big Ten championship. What else do you have in that league? I'll give you Michigan State and that's it. Ohio State is still living rent free in Michigan's collective heads. Nebraska has a basket case for a coach. And no one else has much of a pulse.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Hate to say it, but this sounds like Miller has some really serious structural issues with the shoulder. I'm not sure there is one of the typical "have surgery and a few months to recover and he'll be fine" type of situations.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
And at 11-1, the committee will put them in over a one loss SEC team, taking injuries into account...
Not so sure, don't they have a title game in the Big 10? If Michigan State beats them and don't lose then Ohio State wont even go to the Big 10 title game. Michigan State is in their division and I think they have to go MSU as well this year. I still believe OSU will run over most of the Big 10 but I don't see them going 11-1 without Kenny Guiton who saved them last year and the great RB they had.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
This injury should give Ohio State at least a 2 loss cushion when the committee selects who should be in the final 4. :wink:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Man, makes you realize that all of our spirited discussion about having two QB candidates is a GOOD problem to have...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Miller did not practice this spring and had been limited by athletic trainers and coaches in the number of throws he was making this fall.
Don't know about up north, but it is still summer in Texas. Now, if they were talking about the number of throws he was going to be allowed to make, in the fall, the verb is the wrong tense.

Hate to play grammar notzy, but it is ESPN. They should know better. (I probably should not complain too much, as Fox Sports has worse proof readers.)

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not so sure, don't they have a title game in the Big 10? If Michigan State beats them and don't lose then Ohio State wont even go to the Big 10 title game. Michigan State is in their division and I think they have to go MSU as well this year. I still believe OSU will run over most of the Big 10 but I don't see them going 11-1 without Kenny Guiton who saved them last year and the great RB they had.
I thought MSU beat tOSU in the B1G championship game last year. If so they are in different divisions.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Nope I believe it changed, I looked it up on their website today. I think after they added Maryland and Rutgers (or whoever it was) they reshuffled the divisions.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
5 pages discussing Ohio State, and not a single buckeye fan has pointed out they prefer to be called The Ohio State University.

I hate seeing any player get hurt. If Ohio State drops a few unexpected games, and isn't in the title playoff discussion...I could live with that. Maybe Urban would break down crying on tv again, that's always entertaining to watch.

And yes, I'm in agreement with others posting in this thread, we have one Ohio State fan that is a good sport and knows his football...
But what's that old saying...you put one good apple in a barrel of rotten apples, and what do you have? ;)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
As others have said, if the injury component is part of the selection process, this may help OSU.

In the grand scheme of life this may be a blessing for Braxton. He is due to graduate this winter and said he will come back to play next year. I have doubts about an NFL future for BM, but an advanced degree from OSU will open a lot of doors.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As others have said, if the injury component is part of the selection process, this may help OSU.
The injury component only comes into play if a key player (or players) were not available for a game that was lost but would be available for the playoff. That is not going to happen here. Miller will not be back in January if the reports that we are hearing are correct.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.