An excerpt from Lars Anderson's New Book 'The Storm and the Tide'

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

It was just after daybreak on April 28, the Day After. Nick Saban had spent the dark early hours in his home with his daughter and her sorority sisters, who were desperately trying to contact Ashley Harrison. At first light Saban drove to the football offices to meet with Thad Turnipseed, director of external affairs. Standing in his office at 7:00, he told Turnipseed, "We've got to do something. I'm going to change clothes and get a chain saw, and then we're going out there to do whatever we can."

The two men filled the back of Turnipseed's white pickup truck with 20 cases of Gatorade and bottled water that had been left over from the spring game. With Saban riding shotgun, Turnipseed first drove to the Ferguson Center, located in the center of campus and the hub of student activity. More than 300 students had gathered outside the brick building, scared, confused, wondering what to do. Upon seeing their anxious faces, Saban stepped out of the truck and climbed to the top of a small brick wall. The students fell silent, stunned by the sudden appearance of their famous--and beloved--coach.

"Your time will come," Saban began, "when you will be able to help and volunteer. We're going to need everybody's effort for a long time to get our city back on its feet. Life is all about challenges, and now we're facing a really big one. But working together, we will get through this. Remember, we have to do this together as one team."

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Thanks for clearing it up. i was so confused by the orginal post. It does make sense. If Dalton fails this year and jason don't play well, we could see AJ later in the season or next year. Remember he has up to be 6 weeks to be activated for this year, otherwise he's out for the year.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Thanks to Amazon and Kindle, I got this yesterday and am partway through. Lots of good background information on Coach Saban going back to his childhood, some I've heard before, some I haven't. His friends say the tornado profoundly affected him as a person, particularly as his son lived about a block from the most heavily damaged area (and was at home when it hit). Although the house was missed, he apparently couldn't help thinking how close he came to losing his son. I recommend this one highly.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I have read Carson's book. It is really powerful and inspirational. Together his book and Lars's book will probably tell you the complete account surrounding that awful day.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Finally read the excerpt in Sports Illustrated. It was great.

It centers on former DL Shannon Brown and the death of his daughter. Gut-wrenching stuff.

It was a little over a year ago that Ashley led me on a heartrending tour through the darkest corridors of her memory. Sitting in a hotel room in Montgomery, Ala., not far from her home in tiny Wetumpka, we talked for hours about her beautiful daughter and the tornado that took her life. She was so courageously honest and forthcoming -- as were all of the main characters in The Storm and the Tide -- that it was difficult to stay composed as I took notes.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/19/behind-scenes-storm-and-tide

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.