AJ May Not Make the Bengals' Roster

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The Bengals were content with having just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster last season, and might do the same this season. Rookie AJ McCarron would be the odd man out. He didn't practice in training camp after being placed on the active non-football injury list, and it doesn't seem like he's going to practice anytime soon. Fellow backups Matt Scott and Tyler Wilson are not likely to make the 53-man roster.
NOTE: I should note he isn't suspected to make the 53 man roster. That doesn't mean he'll be cut. Jesse Williams wasn't on the Seahawk's 53 man roster last year due to his leg surgery; he was still on the team, though. I expect AJ to be in the same boat.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
OH well. I find that hard to believe coaches kept him out of trianing camp when AJ wanted to practice and then they release him? This doesn't make sense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I should note he isn't suspected to make the 53 man roster. That doesn't mean he'll be cut. Jesse Williams wasn't on the Seahawk's 53 man roster last year due to his leg surgery; he was still on the team, though. I expect AJ to be in the same boat.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't think NFL scouts were too happy with some things that AJ had to say in the weeks/months leading up to the draft. That certainly didn't help him.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
OH well. I find that hard to believe coaches kept him out of trianing camp when AJ wanted to practice and then they release him? This doesn't make sense.
It makes sense if once he got to the organization and started interacting with the team they felt he simply wasn't a good fit or his shoulder injury was more of a risk than thought. Granted all of this is purely speculation on my part but in the NFL (just as in life) situations can change in an instant. I've watched people be sought out, hired with a big salary to lead a company then two weeks later be let go. Life can be ungraciously harsh sometimes. Either way I think AJ will be fine. If Tyrod Taylor can hang around and earn a roster spot then AJ can too.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
There's a big difference in not making the active man roster and being cut from the team. Most likely, AJ will be put on the injured reserve or PUP list and will still be with the team but won't count against them on the roster and can still be activated if the need arises. It's more or less some roster finagling by the Bengals. I highly doubt they'll cut him outright where other teams can pick up his rights as placing him on IR costs them nothing.

Last edited:

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I thought there might be struggles or bench time, but I thought he was way better than being cut. I would really like him to get a chance in the pro's.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Please read these two posts. AJ isn't being cut. He just may not make the ACTIVE roster.

I should note he isn't suspected to make the 53 man roster. That doesn't mean he'll be cut. Jesse Williams wasn't on the Seahawk's 53 man roster last year due to his leg surgery; he was still on the team, though. I expect AJ to be in the same boat.
There's a big difference in not making the active man roster and being cut from the team. Most likely, AJ will be put on the injured reserve or PUP list and will still be with the team but won't count against them on the roster and can still be activated if the need arises. It's more or less some roster finagling by the Bengals. I highly doubt they'll cut him outright where other teams can pick up his rights as placing him on IR costs them nothing.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Please read these two posts. AJ isn't being cut. He just may not make the ACTIVE roster.
Ya, I didn't see your post clarifying. You should update your original post so others don't assume he's being sent packing like the first few posters did.

I understood what the situation was and was adding my two cents.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
How could Tyler Wilson not even make an NFL roster? He led Arkansas to a top-5 ranking in 2011 with a terrible defense and a terrible offensive line. I've never seen a QB make great throws right before being hit as often as he did. It seemed like every time he threw the ball he got knocked on his behind a second later.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I don't think NFL scouts were too happy with some things that AJ had to say in the weeks/months leading up to the draft. That certainly didn't help him.
I agree.

The whole off season for AJ was a mess. I still think it is one of the most ridiculous off seasons for a high profile college player I have seen. I will always be a fan of his, but I wish he would have made better decisions.

I hate that he got hurt so easily, but if the team releases him...it may be hard to get picked up somewhere else. Other teams have had backup QB's playing this preseason.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
The Bengals can put him on the PUP list, injured reserve or practice squad. I was not happy when he was drafted by Cincinnati knowing their history. It is going to be very difficult for AJ to make any team this season missing all perseason action.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.