somewhat crappy news

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Been where you are, more than once. It isn't fun.

Mrs. Cuda had a benign brain tumor, a few years back. Caused lots of problems, and was in a difficult place to get to. But, she made a complete recovery. Other than she stayed married to me. (It was her idea, in the first place. Go figure.)

I remember the day I got the "Uh, you have a tumor, and we are admitting you to the hospital NOW" speech. The funniest part (well, I only kinda sorta thought it was funny at the time........at lot funnier now) of the ordeal was sitting in the waiting room, wondering what the X-rays showed, as it was obvious something really serious was wrong.

The only other folks in the waiting room was an elderly couple, sitting off to my left. The nurse's station was to the right, and just a bit behind me. I heard someone pick up a film..........

"Who's is this?", the voice said.

No response...............I knew they were all pointing at me!

"Oh, boy...................doesn't sound good."

After some prolonged silence, he put the film down.............."I'll let you know when I am ready", he said in hushed tones.

"Oh, boy.........this is really not good."

It wasn't. But that was 29+ years ago. Despite no one expecting me to walk away from it................HA!

Hang in there, bub. We're all pulling for you. Don't lose your sense of humor.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Wishing you the best.

I will say that my co-worker sitting next to me right now just had what sounds very similar surgery last April.

And, my sister-in-law had similar in June!

Both are doing fine, now.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Just saw this, sorry to hear but hopefully things will turn out for the best. Certainly you are in my thoughts and prayers as well as Mrs. 92tide.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
A few more thoughts....................

Your situation, while scarey, is manageable. Your tumor is benign; mine was not. Yours is operable; mine is not. (Yes, that means it is still there. And messing with everyday life. Now y'all know why my mood seems to be constantly "sick".)

Despite any differences we may have, I know you have a sense of humor, and the ability to make it through. We both survived the death of a parent, at an early age. And made it through that. So, extrapolating, I know you will be fine.

I mentioned this to Mrs. Cuda, aka "The Queen of Google". She wanted to know all she could, about what they were fixin' to do to her. Yes, there are photos/videos of the procedure out there. As a fellow nerd, I doubt you can resist the temptation to take a look-see what they have in mind. It helped alleviate Mrs. Cuda's fears, and if for no other reason.........hey, you're part nerd.......I know you can't resist checking it out. So, check it out! I think you will feel better afterwards. If not.......well, call your kinfolk to come over here and kick my butt. I can take it!

Peace, man............

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Well, 92, if there's a spot inside your head to get a mass, back there in the back is about as good as it can get. Still, I know you're likely a bit freaked out by the whole process of someone opening your cranium (spaces that are closed are closed for a reason, you know?). Rest assured you're in good hands and I'm sure you'll have a positive outcome. Here's hoping for far fewer headaches in the weeks and months to come, no surgical complications, and a complete resection with no growing back. We'll be thinking of you.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I mentioned this to Mrs. Cuda, aka "The Queen of Google". She wanted to know all she could, about what they were fixin' to do to her. Yes, there are photos/videos of the procedure out there. As a fellow nerd, I doubt you can resist the temptation to take a look-see what they have in mind. It helped alleviate Mrs. Cuda's fears, and if for no other reason.........hey, you're part nerd.......I know you can't resist checking it out. So, check it out! I think you will feel better afterwards. If not.......well, call your kinfolk to come over here and kick my butt. I can take it!

Peace, man............
From my own experience, I'd echo this advice. But--IMPORTANT CAVEAT--only enough to get a broad feel for what they're about to do inside your head. (Somehow I'm flashing back on Pink Floyd lyrics at this point... ;) ) When my own medical "fun" started, my brother Googled himself into a frenzy, having "discovered" that my painful, inevitable death was imminent. And yet, here I am, 6 years later. Meanwhile, another friend discovered that mine would be no big deal at all (equally incorrect!).

So, despite the commercial, they can in fact put things on the internet that aren't true. :biggrin2: Seriously, nobody has had your precise tumor before. So take all the web stories--optimistic or pessimistic--with a grain of salt.

Get well soon! There'll be a dearth of high-quality mocking around here until you rejoin the fray. ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A few more thoughts....................

Your situation, while scarey, is manageable. Your tumor is benign; mine was not. Yours is operable; mine is not. (Yes, that means it is still there. And messing with everyday life. Now y'all know why my mood seems to be constantly "sick".)

Despite any differences we may have, I know you have a sense of humor, and the ability to make it through. We both survived the death of a parent, at an early age. And made it through that. So, extrapolating, I know you will be fine.

Peace, man............
thanks cuda, there is a good bit of info out there on the tumor i have (and all that i had found out was confirmed by the nuero yesterday) all pointing to good outcomes.

my nerdness comes out when talking to docs and based on their reactions, they somewhat enjoy it :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Well, 92, if there's a spot inside your head to get a mass, back there in the back is about as good as it can get. Still, I know you're likely a bit freaked out by the whole process of someone opening your cranium (spaces that are closed are closed for a reason, you know?). Rest assured you're in good hands and I'm sure you'll have a positive outcome. Here's hoping for far fewer headaches in the weeks and months to come, no surgical complications, and a complete resection with no growing back. We'll be thinking of you.
thanks sd, the doc yesterday said something to the effect of "if you are going to have a brain tumor this is the one you want in the location you want" :) its apparently right at the surface, so no deep digging. i will get a hole in my skull and my very own "steel plate(s)/screws" so at least i won't get anymore of those messages from outer space.

it is a little freaky, but once i found out it was benign, i calmed down a lot. i guess our experiences with our daughter's two open heart surgeries gives us some experience in facing something like this. i did get a little squirmy when the doctor started talking about sewing up the dura before they closed up my skull.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
i will get a hole in my skull and my very own "steel plate(s)/screws" so at least i won't get anymore of those messages from outer space.
Just imagine the fun you'll have in security checks on flights in the future. "Um, sir, can you explain the metal stuff sticking out of your head? We're gonna need a more detailed body cavity search." ;)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
thanks sd, the doc yesterday said something to the effect of "if you are going to have a brain tumor this is the one you want in the location you want" :) its apparently right at the surface, so no deep digging. i will get a hole in my skull and my very own "steel plate(s)/screws" so at least i won't get anymore of those messages from outer space.

it is a little freaky, but once i found out it was benign, i calmed down a lot. i guess our experiences with our daughter's two open heart surgeries gives us some experience in facing something like this. i did get a little squirmy when the doctor started talking about sewing up the dura before they closed up my skull.
Don't let them fool you, they are actually implanting an antenna.;)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.