Lone Star Tick Bite May Cause Beef Allergy

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

Quite possibly the scariest thing I've read in a while.

Lone star tick bites are likely the cause of thousands of cases of severe red meat allergies that are plaguing patients in Southeastern states including Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia and spreading up the Eastern Seaboard along with the deer population.

Vanderbilt's Asthma, Sinus and Allergy Program (A.S.A.P.) clinic is seeing one or more new cases each week of patients allergic to the alpha-gal sugar present in red meat, according to Robert Valet, M.D., assistant professor of Medicine.

"It is not completely understood exactly how the allergy starts," Valet said. "The thought is that the tick has the alpha-gal sugar in its gut and introduces it as part of the allergic bite and that causes the production of the allergy antibody that then cross-reacts to the meat," he said.
Valet said the allergy can cause hives and swelling, as well as broader symptoms of anaphylaxis including vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing, and a drop in blood pressure.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I thought this had already made the rounds here, but then I don't always remember where I read something. These little beasts are also the main vector for Lyme disease in the southeast...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pork. Just eat pork.
Sorry, but port has the sugar in it which sets off the allergic reaction. I hate ticks more than any other bug. (They're not a true "insect.") Our house is in three acres of woods and we literally have to watch each other's backs and scalps. Sometimes, I know when one has dropped on me, but occasionally, one will escape my attention and dig in...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Our house is in three acres of woods and we literally have to watch each other's backs and scalps. Sometimes, I know when one has dropped on me, but occasionally, one will escape my attention and dig in...
When I was a child, we would get sprayed down with Hot Shot's DDT solution before running off to play in the woods.

Worked o.k. on ticks, but we would still get one now and again. Nothing prevents chiggers, though. Nothing.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Deep Woods Off does.
Eau de Lousiane? It just may. DWO has the highest concentration of DEET you can get without buying Ben's 100 or some such. It makes me break out if I use it for several days, though. I've used countless dozens of cans while working in Fourchon, LA.

I'm not sure how much chemical difference exists between DDT and DEET, but I would suspect not much. Perhaps there's a chemist on board who could enlighten us.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Eau de Lousiane? It just may. DWO has the highest concentration of DEET you can get without buying Ben's 100 or some such. It makes me break out if I use it for several days, though. I've used countless dozens of cans while working in Fourchon, LA.
I only wear if I absolutely have to, as the entire time it's on my skin it feels as if I'm fairly sunburned - the skin just feels hot. My body chemistry obviously doesn't like it, but it's more tolerable than being eaten alive...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I only wear if I absolutely have to, as the entire time it's on my skin it feels as if I'm fairly sunburned - the skin just feels hot. My body chemistry obviously doesn't like it, but it's more tolerable than being eaten alive...
That's the reaction I was speaking of when I said it makes me break out. It's obviously not a good long-term solution, but the mosquitos in certain areas of South Lousy-anna are pretty bad.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I hate ticks.. just as I do their arachnid cousins, spiders. Frankly I hate most all bugs. I can't be outside after a certain time in the evening during the summer because I become the main target for the mosquito population in our area.

I know everything has its purpose, but I'm just not sure why God made ticks.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hate ticks.. just as I do their arachnid cousins, spiders. Frankly I hate most all bugs. I can't be outside after a certain time in the evening during the summer because I become the main target for the mosquito population in our area.

I know everything has its purpose, but I'm just not sure why God made ticks.
You must share a metabolism with my wife, who can't even go to the mailbox. OTOH, they don't bother me unless they just blunder into me. Talking about skeeters, not ticks...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006

I'm not sure how much chemical difference exists between DDT and DEET, but I would suspect not much. Perhaps there's a chemist on board who could enlighten us.
When I was in AIT school (where you go after basic in the army), I had one of those plastic hanging shoe holders for the inside of my locker to hold toiletries etc. I had a bottle of 100% deet that I would use, then some spilled on the plastic and dissolved it. After that, it was only used to remove permanent marker from dry erase boards.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
I'm the same way. I've tried the "gentler" stuff before and the mosquitoes around my house just laugh at me before digging in. Again, like you, I'll cope with the hot skin.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
That's the reaction I was speaking of when I said it makes me break out. It's obviously not a good long-term solution, but the mosquitos in certain areas of South Lousy-anna are pretty bad.
I have watched them rise at dusk and almost block out the sunset in Dulac....almost got eaten alive in a phone booth at the Baroid dock in The Fourchon in the middle of winter, upper 30s and north wind blowing 25-35. Those suckers don't play.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I have watched them rise at dusk and almost block out the sunset in Dulac....almost got eaten alive in a phone booth at the Baroid dock in The Fourchon in the middle of winter, upper 30s and north wind blowing 25-35. Those suckers don't play.
My company has bases at both locations.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
You must share a metabolism with my wife, who can't even go to the mailbox. OTOH, they don't bother me unless they just blunder into me. Talking about skeeters, not ticks...
They don't bother my wife much at all, so I have wondered if it were something like metabolism. But yes, I can't even walk to my mailbox, which is probably 40 feet from my front door, without being bitten 8-10 times. Forget any sort of early evening yard work.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.