Tuesday, August 19 Practice Update

MS TN NC Tidefan

3rd Team
Jan 2, 2003
Huntersville, NC, USA
Do you think CNS might just get some enjoyment watching and knowing the press and fans go into panic mode trying to decipher everything he says and doesn't say? No mention of Morris performing well for weeks and he throws it out there. Little to no information on the QB battle knowing the college football world is waiting with baited breath for a sign.

I think he turns to leave the press conference and starts chuckling; knowing that what he just said or didn't say will keep everyone busy speculating for a while.

8 days until college football!! 10 for Bama!!

ROLL TIDE!!

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Where's the blue font?
I'm not being sarcastic. With all the pressure and hype, I think Coker will try to push too hard and have too many turnovers. I think Sims will not do well with his reads and checkdowns. Consequently, both will struggle. Bateman will come in and be a safe, game manager with very few turnovers and secure the starting job.

That's just my gut feeling. But what do I know?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Just when we were going to give you the benefit of doubt, and say it was because your phone wouldn't let you do blue font.........!

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
This QB competition is all about potential. Who will get us further in the season?? I think it will be Coker in the end after he gets settled.

Just think, he has already caught up to Blake who has been in the system for 5 years.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I always get a kick out of CNS referring to him as "Alex" Morris, while everyone else refers to him as "Alec" Morris.

And am never surprised that none of the gathered reporters ever dares "correct" him... :smile:

squeally dan

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2008
Heard from a guy that viewed practice and he claims our qb will be Sims. He said it isn't even close. This is shocking to me. I really thought Coker would be the man.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Do you think CNS might just get some enjoyment watching and knowing the press and fans go into panic mode trying to decipher everything he says and doesn't say? No mention of Morris performing well for weeks and he throws it out there. Little to no information on the QB battle knowing the college football world is waiting with baited breath for a sign.

I think he turns to leave the press conference and starts chuckling; knowing that what he just said or didn't say will keep everyone busy speculating for a while.

8 days until college football!! 10 for Bama!!

ROLL TIDE!!
I think you are right.

It's hard to imagine just what prompted the chuckle. When the Bama fans (many grown men, not just children), lined up and sprinted the football field at Bryant-Denny stadium, to be first in line for his signature, many rival fans thought that was funny. Maybe Saban also appreciated the humor in that.

I would guess, when Saban mentioned Morris after not mentioning him so many times before, he knew it would get some attention. Saban seems to enjoy coaching more than he has before, I'm glad to see him loosen up a tad and have a little fun.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Heard from a guy that viewed practice and he claims our qb will be Sims. He said it isn't even close. This is shocking to me. I really thought Coker would be the man.
I think Blake Sims has put in the extra work to earn the QB job. I remember the thread from earlier in the summer about him having a QB coach. Those little things pay off.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Maybe he's trying to muscle into the Les Miles "What the heck did he just say?" sweepstakes.
I have heard CNS explain the phrase "rat trap" before. For him, the analogy is that when you catch a rat in a (non-lethal) trap it panics, doesn't know what to do, starts running around, trying to claw its way out, etc. When he uses it with players or team units, it means that something adverse happens and instead of sticking with the game plan or their assignments, etc. they start acting like the rat in the trap, running around, panicking, not following the plan or scheme.

He said it a lot about the Texas A&M game a couple of years ago.

It is a little bit of an odd phrase, but he throws it in every now and then. I think it was actually a pretty critical comment with regard to Sims, because I think that has been a big knock on him. Partly that is attributable to the style athlete he is -- if a pass play breaks down and he can get outside the D, he can make a play on pure athleticism. Partly it may have just been a matter of maturity -- when you get a pass batted down, you just have to learn and move on -- not go rat trap and improvise on the next three pass plays.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Blake Sims has put in the extra work to earn the QB job. I remember the thread from earlier in the summer about him having a QB coach. Those little things pay off.
Yeah, because Jake Coker didn't do anything this spring and summer but sit on his butt cause CNS had promised him the job. :rolleye2:

But seriously, it seems that everyone is ready to annoint Blake Sims based on what? The fact that he's had up and down practices just like Coker?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Yeah, because Jake Coker didn't do anything this spring and summer but sit on his butt cause CNS had promised him the job. :rolleye2:

But seriously, it seems that everyone is ready to annoint Blake Sims based on what? The fact that he's had up and down practices just like Coker?
I don't doubt that at all, but some people don't seem to think it is possible for Sims to have earned this job.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I believe Blake will start the first game and most likely more but the QB competition will continue well into the season. Jake will have more time to learn and get acclimated to the system as time goes by and he very well may be the starter by mid-season if he picks it up. It will be interesting to see who is on the field most when we play FLA and their defense.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I always get a kick out of CNS referring to him as "Alex" Morris, while everyone else refers to him as "Alec" Morris.

And am never surprised that none of the gathered reporters ever dares "correct" him... :smile:
Not as funny as when he calls it the University of Auburn.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Has anyone in the Blake vs Coker food fight taken time to consider our new OC has added some new wrinkles, or put things in a different manner, that caused the light to go on for our returning QBs?

I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised with our offense this season. I honestly think we will utilize all the tools we have available, and hide any weaknesses, better than the previous season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.