Tuesday, August 19 Practice Update

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Today CNS said (paraphrased) that one day one qb plays better and the next day the other one does. He also said he'd feel comfortable with either one.

Sounds like the race continues.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
CNS mentioned Coker, Sims, and Morris when discussing QBs. Weird no mention of Bateman. I figured Morris was towards the end of the QB line. http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/08/live_updates_from_alabama_coac.html
I figured Bateman as a dark-horse considering how he played A-Day but Morris is a big guy with a decent arm. Maybe Coker's not picking up on the offense fast enough.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think we play two QB's a good bit unless one of them just nails it. Despite the talk up on Sims I just can't see him as the #1 QB because while he may be a good mobile option he's not a true drop back passer and we'd have to re-tool our whole offensive philosophy from a pro-style to more of a read option type offense.

It would give defenses a lot to prepare for if we had two QB's with their own play sets.

Last edited:
Agreed. I think we play two QBs as well. Sims is looking more and more like the guy though.
I figured Bateman as a dark-horse considering how he played A-Day but Morris is a big guy with a decent arm. Maybe Coker's not picking up on the offense fast enough.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think we play two QB's a good bit unless one of them just nails it. Despite the talk up on Sims I just can't see him as the #1 QB because while he may be a good mobile option he's not a true drop back passer and we'd have to re-tool our whole offensive philosophy from a pro-style to more of a read option type offense.

It would give defenses a lot to prepare for if we had two QB's with their own play sets.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I think we play two QB's a good bit unless one of them just nails it. ...

Makes pretty good sense to me. One will stand out when the lights come on. I will be happy to watch CNS letting them settle it on the field.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Simmer down a bit. I think his comment regarding was more along the line of appreciating the improvement and nothing more. If you listened to the whole interview you would also have heard him comment that we had 2 QBs that he would feel comfortable playing - not 3. So by that statement Morris is not line to receive any playing time in the game unless something goes terribly wrong. I think coach is just trying to keep Morris motivated and likewise continuing to keep every player motivated because even those who wont contribute significantly on field will have a significant impact in the locker room and the overall team chemistry.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban is trying to keep this team hungry and competitive. QB is ultimately a position where you need one guy, but I think he's trying to instill competition across the whole team.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
OK, I'll bite....what does he mean by "he doesn't go rat trap"?

From the context, I'm thinking that's good. But I have no idea what he's talking about.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
rgw is one of my favorite members here and IMO he's right. CNS is creating a culture of competition with this team. Players have to stay hungry, and they will I think.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
OK, I'll bite....what does he mean by "he doesn't go rat trap"?

From the context, I'm thinking that's good. But I have no idea what he's talking about.
I took it to mean that Blake isn't scrambling around in a panic once the rush affects the pocket. He's learned to look downfield regardless and complete the pass.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I took it to mean that Blake isn't scrambling around in a panic once the rush affects the pocket. He's learned to look downfield regardless and complete the pass.
It can also mean simply that he used to put himself in bad positions during plays and he no longer does that.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I expect to see Bateman take over the starting role during the UF game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I find CNS's Alec Morris comments surprising. There was mention during one of the practice reports last week that he was with Cornwell throwing to the TEs while Bateman, Coker, and Sims were throwing to the WRs. The implication was the top 3 were throwing to the WRs while the bottom 2 were with the TEs.

Is CNS just meaning Alec has improved or is he meaning Alec has jumped to #3? After all, he can improve and still be behind Bateman.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Trying to decipher what press confrence comments mean will make your head explode.

I think until CNS comes out and says "Qb X" is the #1 qb that all the other comments are just fluff.

FWIW, I don't expect him to name a #1 until one pulls significantly ahead in the race. The frustrating thing about this is I doubt it will happen until we've at least played a couple of games.

My personal concern is that right now neither Sims or Coker is making a separation from the other with "above average" qb play and that we may end up having the starter be "the one who is better at being just average."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.