August 19, 2001: A Tribute To Bayoutider (The Day I Met Him)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
(Three years ago this month, bayoutider left us. I'm here at TideFans because of bayoutider, whose real name was Richard Heaton. Thirteen years ago today, I met him for the only time in my life. The topics of conversation, all of which he would endorse as true if he were he (and did multiple times on this board), are minimal yet correct).

On August 19, 2001, I attended the Istrouma Baptist Church in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, where I had been staying with my sister-in-law en route to my new medical school assignment at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas. I had a week to get everything right - find a place to live, in-process, make sure shots were up to date - so we opted to leave after church and arrive in San Antonio on this fine Sunday evening. I had already been talking to Bayou about coming through Lake Charles, and he told me - over and over - "call me when you get in town." So I did. It was at the dump Taco Bell on the west side of town. We used to use these thick books called phone books, and his name was in there. I dialed, and I figured if nothing else I'd leave a message. After the fourth ring, a male voice answered the phone. I think it was his son, but I asked if Rich was there. I told him that I was "Hollingsworth89" from ncaaboards, also "selmaborntidefan" on TideFans. His son sounded puzzled as he relayed the info. Rich took the phone and for the first time we spoke to each other. He had a rather loud voice at the time, but maybe that's because he'd been out doing yard work and you know how that ringing in your ears from the mower can be. He asked my location and I told him. "Gawd, son, you're in a dump. I'll be there in about ten minutes, just wait for me."

He pulled up and the moment he saw me he said, "You look EXACTLY like I figured." Rich had previously said that my posts came across as this sort of scholarly college football historian with fifteen books under the desk in a cluttered room, short, and probably didn't have much of a social life. I think he was surprised I was married much less had a 2-year old who had a cast on from a displaced patella. I told him he was right top to bottom. I remember he was wearing a red shirt (not crimson) with a black something on it. He was taller than I (not hard to do since I'm only 5'8") and wearing glasses. He also smelled like gasoline, poor fella, and was sweating on his arms. He was still talking loudly.

We talked about Coach Fran, as he was affectionately known then. I wasn't sold on him, Rich thought he was "the guy" for us, but we both agreed he couldn't be any worse than his predecessor (autistic eight-year olds couldn't be worse than Dubious was). Then the subject turned to the coach at LSU. Rich noted that LSU fans thought Saban was the savior who was going to lead them to the promised land. We both - I repeat, we BOTH - figured Saban was just the next imbecile in the long line of ineptitude stretching from Mike Archer through Curley Hallman and Gerry DiNardo. We predicted he'd be gone by the end of year four. And we were right - Saban WAS gone.....all the way to the national championship. We spent more time mocking Saban and LSU than really talking up Fran and the Tide, partly because the specter of probation was looming over the Capstone. Bayou did shake my hand and hugged my wife (she didn't even mind he was all sweaty, which tells me she was won over by him), and he told me that while he knew I was in medical school to try and update him at least once a semester. I did as much as possible (until the horrible end that took me two years to tell him about, by which time he'd moved on out of Lake Chuck).

HSAM (highly superior autobiographical memory) is not something I'd necessarily wish on my worst enemy. The intense pain of life never really goes away - even years later. (You remember the girl who rejected you in high school? I still feel it as intensely this evening as I did 27 years ago). But there IS a positive side to it, and that is that I'm right there again all these years later with a man I only met once but who brought so much joy and pride to my life as a Tide fan. Bayoutider took time out of his busy schedule to come spend just a few minutes with a fellow Tide fan, a complete stranger he'd never met. And while everyone who was here when he was has a favorite Bayoutider moment (you simply couldn't help but like the guy and his posts), mine will always be his words of encouragement even in some pretty trying times. Since it appears a divorce from my wife of 23 years is now imminent, I must admit it would sure be nice to hear what he had to say about that.

But then again, this isn't supposed to be about me, either.

Thanks Bayoutider for the many memories, the many posts, and the time you spent with me.

And I'll see you on the northbound express sometime in the next fifty years.

Roll Tide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wish I could have had the opportunity to meet him in person, but I am thankful that I "met" him on Tidefans. I still pause before hitting "post reply" on every post I make, trying to ensure I'm not about to make a fool of myself. His advice of "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" still rings in my mind.

He was definitely one of the all-time greats.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
He was also prone to a devious streak, the devil.

We created "Rudy" and Dr. Niles Johanssen, Professor at University of Copenhagen, and he went along with it but said keep it on the down low. He wasn't sure Earle would approve. :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
He was also prone to a devious streak, the devil.

We created "Rudy" and Dr. Niles Johanssen, Professor at University of Copenhagen, and he went along with it but said keep it on the down low. He wasn't sure Earle would approve. :)
He did tell me and I didn't have a problem with it, depending on how it was handled... :D

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Unfortunately I joined Tidefans too late to know the gentleman but I did notice he started the "Music" thread on The Strip - and as an avid music lover - that will be my personal takeaway.

That was a great post, Selma. Thanks for sharing.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Unfortunately I joined Tidefans too late to know the gentleman but I did notice he started the "Music" thread on The Strip - and as an avid music lover - that will be my personal takeaway.

That was a great post, Selma. Thanks for sharing.
You missed some fun. Rich was an irreverent Christian, kind of hard to pigeonhole (he once told me he trusted the Republicans with his gun and the Democrats with his job - and how he voted depended upon which was more important at the time). Idk if he was a union guy but he was pro-working class, and he was a military vet.

He contacted me one time on another board because I had said something that offended someone else. It was completely unintentional (I referred to the guy - a Razorbacks fan - as a "Hawgs nut," and he thought I was referencing, well, you know....I meant he was a nutty about Arkansas, but I promise you I didn't notice the double meaning at first). I apologized though denied I meant any harm by it and Rich was the conciliator. He also informed me about a few other posters so that I didn't make the wrong comment (one was a hot but recently divorced female who was very sensitive about personal stuff - even though she let Rich talk about her cycles; I'm telling you, that guy could get away with stuff the rest of us only dream about).

I got into a dustup about ten years ago with one of the mods (JessN, I think) and Rich intervened because he knew me from elsewhere and also knew I would respond positively to constructive criticism.

So yeah, Bayou was one of a kind.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Usually, we talked couple of times a week and we sent a lot of PMs in between. We each knew what the other was thinking 99% of the time. The last few conversations were very sad, when he was in the convalescent home and had become too weak even to use his laptop. It was COPD and he'd been very ill with it for quite a while, not that you could tell that from his posts and presence on the board. As I've said before, I felt like I'd lost my right arm, so far as running the board. He lived all over the globe, but he never lost that Gadsden accent... :)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think he would mind, so here's a PM I just found in the box from Bayou dated August 17, 2005. It was our first communication since Coach Fran had bolted in 2002:

Bill, a lot has happened since I last saw you in Lake Chuck. I retired and sold my business November 2000 before remarrying and moving to Chicago in 2002. My wife and I planned her retirement which happened in November of 2004. In May of 04 we started building a retirement home on the island of Martinique. Her family has had property there for over a century and she was given a plot since she loved it there so much. She was born in Paris France, her mother and grandparents are French but her father is an American and she has lived in America most of her life except for some European schooling. She has a law degree from the University of Chicago.

I am in Martinique right now and in fact we are waiting for a lull in the rain to move more furniture inside the house. We wanted to get moved in yesterday but it rained almost all day. It's the rainy season here. We are staying with the wife's relatives till we get moved in and settled.

The football season for me looks better than it has in several years. True we do not have much quality depth but the starters we have are good enough to stay on the field with almost anyone. So keeping my fingers crossed nobody gets hurt again. It's time for Bama to have some luck thrown its way.

Sorry to hear about your disability. I have been collecting SS disability for about 3 years now. COPD. I have a couple of friends who have sleep apnia. Are you working now? Any prospects?

Stay in touch, always good to hear from you and post often.
bayoutider1@tidefans.com

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.