A replay of 1992 maybe?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I have been reading all the information I can about this team as I do ever year, and I realize you can't really compare teams from year to year. However I see alot of the 92 team in this unit. On defense we could be even better as crazy as that sounds, we have better overall skill players on offense but becuase of the qb situation I think this defense flat carries us most weeks. What the 92 team had in a qb was a player that did not make mistakes and managed the game we just did not need a great qb to win that year. I think our qb this year whoever that is, can be the same type player as Barker was just manage the game do not make mistakes and let the defense work for you if they do that we will be just fine.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I have been reading all the information I can about this team as I do ever year, and I realize you can't really compare teams from year to year. However I see alot of the 92 team in this unit. On defense we could be even better as crazy as that sounds, we have better overall skill players on offense but becuase of the qb situation I think this defense flat carries us most weeks. What the 92 team had in a qb was a player that did not make mistakes and managed the game we just did not need a great qb to win that year. I think our qb this year whoever that is, can be the same type player as Barker was just manage the game do not make mistakes and let the defense work for you if they do that we will be just fine.
The 92 defense could flat our pass rush and had quality DB's at every position. Until I see our DB's and for that matter DL play I'd withhold comparing them with the 92 defense.

The 92 defense could flat our pass rush and had quality DB's at every position. Until I see our DB's and for that matter DL play I'd withhold comparing them with the 92 defense.
Agreed. We didn't know all that much about the 92 defense before the season though. Beating Colorado the year before set thing up, but Florida put it on us that same year and I had doubts, at age 12. lol But that group was dominant as Miami and Florida found out. Can this year's team do it? Well, I'm going to enjoy finding out.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I have seen both and while this 2014 squad has yet to play under the lights, I will go out on that limb and say they can play to that level and they have the upside to be even better. I made this comment a few days ago on another thread. Our pass rush will rival 92 and you will see a D that is dynamic at all levels.

Go ahead and save this post. It may take 6-8 games but by years end this will be Saban's most aggressive D at Bama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Greg McElroy didn't exactly get going until the LSU game in 2009, either.

Auburn fans are actually saying selective garbage like, "Saban has yet to win a national title at Alabama without McCarron on the roster - and McCarron is gone." This, of course, is absurd since McCarron had nothing at all to do with 2009.

Of course, I counter: "The last two times Alabama started a brand new QB under center, they won the national title."

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
As someone else mentioned, the db's for the 92 team were outstanding. But what I remember the most were the "bookends" Copeland and Curry. Heath Shuler (a very good qb for Tennessee) was on his back more than he got to pass that year we played them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The 1992 defense was one of the best ever, but on paper, this year's defense is more talented.

Whether or not that translates to the field is yet to be seen, but this could be an absolute sick D...

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
To me it is great to see the 92 team brought up in comparison because I believe it was one of Bama's greatest. As the season went on I enjoyed watching while the D was on the field more than the O. Copeland, Curry and Co. were unreal and I can only hope the 2014 D is in that league...If so, we will be fine no matter.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Barker threw 2 int's in the Championship game...if it wasn't for the defense, we mighta lost that one. Anybody remember that? And until I see the defense this year, it's gonna be hard for me to compare...That '92 defense was probably the best to ever take the field in all of College Football.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Barker threw 2 int's in the Championship game...if it wasn't for the defense, we mighta lost that one. Anybody remember that? And until I see the defense this year, it's gonna be hard for me to compare...That '92 defense was probably the best to ever take the field in all of College Football.
I agree, definitely one of the best.

That said Alabama's 2011 defense is, in my mind, probably the best I've ever seen...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

That said Alabama's 2011 defense is, in my mind, probably the best I've ever seen...
I was about to say the same thing. Statistically, 2011 was better, and it came in an era of more prolific offenses.

With that said, can you imagine a defense another 2011 defense with 1992's pass rushing abilities? WOW!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
From a depth standpoint, this year's defense may be better, but this year's starting defense cannot compare with the 1992 team or IMO, the 2011 defense. Also, I would venture to say that all the SEC teams we play this year are quite a bit better than those we faced in 1992.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
The 1992 defense was one of the best ever, but on paper, this year's defense is more talented.

Whether or not that translates to the field is yet to be seen, but this could be an absolute sick D...
I agree, on paper this defense could and probably should be one of, if not the best. I'm pulling for them to be the best ever including better than the 2011 defense.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I agree, 2011 was the BEST in my opinion with 1992 close but still 2nd. In 92 we showed that if a QB has little time it doesn't matter what his last name is he is going to put up terrible numbers if you have even decent DB's and of course we were loaded in the back end too. I think next years team could compete for that "best ever" title as Hump and Brown gets a season to learn and our D-Line improves even more. Add to that incoming freshmen for next year to help with depth and I think we will be flat out sick next year.

I'm not saying this years version wont be bad though, I think they'll be more than good but I don't think we're ready for "best ever" just yet.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Relative to their peers at the time, the 1961 D was our best, IMO, in the modern era with 2011 next and 1992 after that.

Last edited:

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
From a depth standpoint, this year's defense may be better, but this year's starting defense cannot compare with the 1992 team or IMO, the 2011 defense. Also, I would venture to say that all the SEC teams we play this year are quite a bit better than those we faced in 1992.
I agree. I hope it does compare to 1992 defense because they were the best we have ever had. I loved the 2011 defense, and they were close, but they also lost a game that year. It's a fun discussion to have. Most of all in 2014, I want us getting back to having that great defense. I hope so.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.