Any GE Microwave Techs Out There?

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
My touchpad on my microwave is giving a "keypad shorted" error. I looked on the net and it says I can pry off the panel and simply clean the connections. The problem is I cant pry off the keypad.
I looked at youtube videos and such and all of them say to take 3 screws out of the upper grill, remove that, then there is one screw holding the pad on. Well I dont have an upper grill. I have a new fangled stainless solid shelf that automatically leans out. Well I removed all the screws for that and it wont come out and neither will the faceplate so Im stuck.

Model is a GE profile Spacemaker jvm3670sk06

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My touchpad on my microwave is giving a "keypad shorted" error. I looked on the net and it says I can pry off the panel and simply clean the connections. The problem is I cant pry off the keypad.
I looked at youtube videos and such and all of them say to take 3 screws out of the upper grill, remove that, then there is one screw holding the pad on. Well I dont have an upper grill. I have a new fangled stainless solid shelf that automatically leans out. Well I removed all the screws for that and it wont come out and neither will the faceplate so Im stuck.

I have that same microwave, but unfortunately, I don't know how to help you with this one. Best of luck to you.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've worked on my own microwaves, Sharp and then the present Panasonic. Normally, removing the whole casing is necessary to access the keypad. I would take a look at "RepairClinic.com." They have a lot of information and they warrant their parts for a year, even installed electrical parts. It doesn't get much better than that for the DIYer...

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
I'll look into it. Evidently we have the worst 5yr warranty known to mankind- parts are free but we pay for labor, starting at $100 just for them to walk in the door.
The internets tells me I should be able to simply clean and reseat the cable connector to the touchpad. So if I can just find the last hidden screw I should be good to go.

RepairClinic.com actually is pretty good. The videos were good in a general sense on what to look for and how to repair. Im still looking for something that tells me specifically what I'm missing with my model. It looks like it may be possible I need to take it down completely.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll look into it. Evidently we have the worst 5yr warranty known to mankind- parts are free but we pay for labor, starting at $100 just for them to walk in the door.
The internets tells me I should be able to simply clean and reseat the cable connector to the touchpad. So if I can just find the last hidden screw I should be good to go.
You can get into sort of a Catch 22 on your warranty. Some mfrs won't warrant a part unless one of their approved servicemen says it's needed. Then, as you say, you pay for overpriced labor. Keep at it. Remember this thing was assembled by little old ladies in China. You can disassemble it...

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
They are always easier to assemble, than disassemble.

Even harder to re-assemble. I hate it when I have parts left over. (Yes, it even happens to us "experts".) (More than once.) (Just had it happen to a lousy electric staple gun, about a month ago.) (Those screws must not have been important: it works, and it got out of alignment with them in.)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
Imho, I don't think you should try to repair your microwave on your own. You should hire a qualified technician to look at it and tell you whether it is economically feasible to repair.
Yes, you will have to pay a technician for his service call fee. But as with many other professions, we technicians get paid not for what we do, but for what we know how to do.
Personally, I think if you try to fix it yourself, even with the help of internet books, you will waste both time and money, and then wind up buying a new one. Notice I didn't say have a technician come out after you've attempted to repair it. I say that because knowing that you've attempted to repair it yourself, and failed, most professional technicians will refuse to even look at it.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Imho, I don't think you should try to repair your microwave on your own. You should hire a qualified technician to look at it and tell you whether it is economically feasible to repair.
Yes, you will have to pay a technician for his service call fee. But as with many other professions, we technicians get paid not for what we do, but for what we know how to do.
Personally, I think if you try to fix it yourself, even with the help of internet books, you will waste both time and money, and then wind up buying a new one. Notice I didn't say have a technician come out after you've attempted to repair it. I say that because knowing that you've attempted to repair it yourself, and failed, most professional technicians will refuse to even look at it.
If the microwave costs $600, and it costs $200 in labor just to fix it one time after just one yr, then my overall opinion is that I need to buy a new one anyway. However if I can eek out another yr of use for free I might as well try. Especially when I can buy a different brand with better quality for $400. As such, short of electrocuting myself, I dont see any negative to trying it out myself.

Wiping a connection with rubbing alcohol (which countless people on the internet say cures the problem) isnt something I need a trained professional to do. However finding the last screw holding the thing together evidently is.

Actually the more I have yanked on this thing the more I think Earle is correct- I need to rip it off the wall.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They are always easier to assemble, than disassemble.

Even harder to re-assemble. I hate it when I have parts left over. (Yes, it even happens to us "experts".) (More than once.) (Just had it happen to a lousy electric staple gun, about a month ago.) (Those screws must not have been important: it works, and it got out of alignment with them in.)
Been there; done that... :D

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I disagree emphatically. That attitude now pervades our culture. It doesn't take a genius to diagnose and fix a microwave. The Sharp we had for years had a problem with the microswitches in the door. Each time, I had to replace the switch holder, because once the switch was implaced, it couldn't be removed. Finally, the magnetron gave out, at which point I gave up. I also discharge the magnetron before working on a microwave. The present Panasonic is an excellent machine in a lot of ways. It's a genuine inverter - not an on and off magnetron. However, all of these have the same problem - the microswitch holder was formed by bending back the inner thin sheet metal liner. First, we had to slam the door till that didn't work. After I got into it, I saw the problem and reinforced the switch holder with aluminum brackets which I formed for the purpose. No problems since. The only thing in the house which hasn't needed repair is a 1977 model Kenmore microwave. (And before you ask, I do have a microwave tester and I've tested its emission level.) I've also repaired dishwashers, washers, refrigerators, etc., and I sort of resent being told that I'm not smart enough to do it.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I disagree emphatically. That attitude now pervades our culture. It doesn't take a genius to diagnose and fix a microwave. The Sharp we had for years had a problem with the microswitches in the door. Each time, I had to replace the switch holder, because once the switch was implaced, it couldn't be removed. Finally, the magnetron gave out, at which point I gave up. I also discharge the magnetron before working on a microwave. The present Panasonic is an excellent machine in a lot of ways. It's a genuine inverter - not an on and off magnetron. However, all of these have the same problem - the microswitch holder was formed by bending back the inner thin sheet metal liner. First, we had to slam the door till that didn't work. After I got into it, I saw the problem and reinforced the switch holder with aluminum brackets which I formed for the purpose. No problems since. The only thing in the house which hasn't needed repair is a 1977 model Kenmore microwave. (And before you ask, I do have a microwave tester and I've tested its emission level.) I've also repaired dishwashers, washers, refrigerators, etc., and I sort of resent being told that I'm not smart enough to do it.
Earle, I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else on this board. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not trying to say that you, Gmart or anyone else isn't smart enough to diagnose and repair their own equipment. My opinion is based on my 40 years experience in diagnosing and repairing electronic equipment and my knowledge of what can and sometimes does with individuals trying to repair their own equipment. It's clear you have plenty of experience along those lines. You must agree though, that not everyone shares your knowledge or experience.
The point I was trying to make is simply that a qualified technician is usually so well versed in the repair of electronic appliances and other equipment can usually diagnose the problem in less than 15 minutes and can accurately tell exactly which parts are faulty and how much the entire repair job will cost to complete, including parts and labor.
However someone not versed in the basics of electronic repairs can easily cause more harm than good. Sometimes that harm can come in the way of (electronically) destroyed circuitry. Other times, it can come in the way of very serious personal harm or even death. Believe me. I've seen it happen.
In short it's up to each individual to decide for him/herself their qualifications or level of expertise in repairing their own equipment and the chances they are willing to take in exchange for saving a few dollars in getting their equipment correctly and safely repaired.

Last edited:

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

1 make a sign that says "It works"
2 attached sign to microwave
3 set microwave by the street
4 go buy a new one

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I sorta agree with you Reb. I can fix a bunch of stuff. But I know my limitations. If I attempt more than a very minor car repair, a tow truck will be needed. Some repair attempts can lead to death, fire or flood. If a person is not comfortable they should hire a pro. I've learned a lot watching over the shoulder of a professional.

Course, unlike Earle, I can't afford to hire much done! :smile:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Earle, I meant no disrespect to you or anyone else on this board. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I'm not trying to say that you, Gmart or anyone else isn't smart enough to diagnose and repair their own equipment. My opinion is based on my 40 years experience in diagnosing and repairing electronic equipment and my knowledge of what can and sometimes does with individuals trying to repair their own equipment. It's clear you have plenty of experience along those lines. You must agree though, that not everyone shares your knowledge or experience.
The point I was trying to make is simply that a qualified technician is usually so well versed in the repair of electronic appliances and other equipment can usually diagnose the problem in less than 15 minutes and can accurately tell exactly which parts are faulty and how much the entire repair job will cost to complete, including parts and labor.
However someone not versed in the basics of electronic repairs can easily cause more harm than good. Sometimes that harm can come in the way of (electronically) destroyed circuitry. Other times, it can come in the way of very serious personal harm or even death. Believe me. I've seen it happen.
In short it's up to each individual to decide for him/herself their qualifications or level of expertise in repairing their own equipment and the chances they are willing to take in exchange for saving a few dollars in getting their equipment correctly and safely repaired.
I do understand your position. I don't think anyone should undertake repair, particularly of a microwave until they've researched thoroughly. When I was reinforcing the switches for the Panasonic, I discharged the magnetron as a matter of precaution, even though I was working nowhere near it. The main control board on our GE profile fridge went out recently. I had been expecting it, since the symptom was widely discussed on the net. It starts with a low moaning sign from the freezer fan, and, eventually, the board goes out. We shifted to the backup fridge and the freezer and got the board overnighted to me from RepairClinic. Works perfectly now. No more moaning sound. Looks like GE did finally fix the problem...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.