What Drives Alabama RB Derrick Henry? An 'I've Got to Stay Hungry' Attitude

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Story here

Bobby Ramsay watched from a short distance as the greatest player he'd ever coach couldn't keep his balance.

The Yulee (Fla.) High School coach knew he had a superstar-in-the-making when Derrick Henry joined his team as a 205-pound ninth grader, but there was work to do. Henry was already a physical specimen, but his ability to stop at an exact point and change direction while maintaining his speed was a mess.

He was 14 years old, after all.

Back, forth and plop Henry went during his first attempts at the shuttle run -- a conditioning drill that has a runner sprint 5 yards, stop, sprint 10 yards in the other direction, stop and finish with another 5-yard sprint in the opposite direction. By the end of the day, Henry's falls during the drill had created a 5-yard swath of matted grass.

"He couldn't touch the ground and change direction," Ramsay said. "Then you look two years later, he's good enough to compete with the best kids as a junior. When he's not good at something, he's going to attack it."

During the summer before his senior year, just a couple months before he committed to Alabama, Henry finished first overall in the SPARQ Combine test, which tallies a player's results in a number of agility and strength drills into one score. Henry's shuttle time of 4.12 seconds was eighth out of 95 participants.

He may just win the Heisman before it's all said and done. I hope he stays focused and humble. I actually have on my Derrick Henry jersey right now at work. Can't wait to see how he does after having a big game against Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
He may just win the Heisman before it's all said and done. I hope he stays focused and humble. I actually have on my Derrick Henry jersey right now at work. Can't wait to see how he does after having a big game against Oklahoma.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
#3, 21 or 27? ;)

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

Sent from my iPhone

I think his size and skill set will get him an extra amount of attention. Being the RB at Alabama is one thing, but to be 6'3" and 245 lbs and have his ability is what can sort of make him unique and generate national buzz.

I think his size and skill set will get him an extra amount of attention. Being the RB at Alabama is one thing, but to be 6'3" and 245 lbs and have his ability is what can sort of make him unique and generate national buzz.
If Yeldon gets it going, he's going to have to stay humble and ready. I hope Yeldon does break out though because that means the OL is doing it's job and it's better for Henry and Drake as well.

Sent from my iPhone

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
If Yeldon gets it going, he's going to have to stay humble and ready. I hope Yeldon does break out though because that means the OL is doing it's job and it's better for Henry and Drake as well.

Sent from my iPhone

I think Yeldon could put up some big numbers if he got the bulk of carries like TR in 2011. However, I'd love to see another pair of 1k yd rushers.

I think Yeldon could put up some big numbers if he got the bulk of carries like TR in 2011. However, I'd love to see another pair of 1k yd rushers.
Yeah, I don't think he will get those types of carries. Trent got them not only because he was the number 1 running back but Eddie was hurt a little bit too with that turf toe. If the OL is ready though, I think we will see big things from out backs and maybe see that 1000 yard combo from our backs and also maybe one approaching stardom in Drake.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.