Current Head Coaches' Records Against Top-25 Teams While at Major-Conference Schools

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
Stoops' career percentage is slightly higher than CNS's.
Big 12 competition < SEC competition. But don't tell Stoops that. We don't want him getting wound up yet again.

The thing I find astonishing about the stats is that there's only ONE active coach with a tie on his resume. Is college football overtime really that old???

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Thanks for the informative post. Looking at coaches with 10 or more games at their current school percentage wise it is Saban 70%, Bob Stoops 68% and Miles 66%.

bamahippie

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2000
Cullman, AL
At their current schools, 3 guys have better winning percentages. Malzahn, Meyer and Shaw. But that was in 32 total games among the 3. Saban has coached 40 such games. I'd like to see their percentages at 40, and then we'll compare.

Same with overall. Saban has coached 85 total games vs. top 25 competition. Only Stoops is close to the amount of games (73), and has a better percentage. That stunned me. But as was just pointed out by DC Tide, it was vs. Big 12. The other coaches (Malzahn, Fisher, Meyer, Shaw, and Petersen) have coached in 89 COMBINED games vs. top-25s. Again, call me after they've done this in 80+ games each.

Big 12 competition < SEC competition. But don't tell Stoops that. We don't want him getting wound up yet again.

The thing I find astonishing about the stats is that there's only ONE active coach with a tie on his resume. Is college football overtime really that old???
Yep! At this point it is.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Look at Mark Richt.. right there in the cushy average middle. Georgia has a really great man for its head coach.
I have read a great deal of criticism of Richt on this board and chalked most of it up to SEC rivalry sentiment since I really don't follow all of the schools in the SEC the way that you guys do. But this stat is very telling. Richt beats the teams that he is supposed to beat, but really struggles against other solid teams.

Cudos to TideFans posters. You were right - I was wrong. Still learning.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Are these stats based on teams ranked at the time of the game is it based on teams that finished the season ranked. Both stats are telling, but the latter would be a better barometer IMO.

Either way, interesting chart.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are these stats based on teams ranked at the time of the game is it based on teams that finished the season ranked. Both stats are telling, but the latter would be a better barometer IMO.

The WSJ piece about the chart doesn't say but leaves the impression the team must be ranked at the time of the game. Link

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Miss St has dropped 15 straight...

wow, brady hoke 4-20 and spurrier under .500 with USCe
Lol at Miss States record under Mullen. 2-21?? And Ole Miss under Freeze at 2-7. That's why I don't take the Mississippi schools seriously. They slip up and beat a good team about once every 3 or 4 years. So they are combined 4-28 against top 25 teams with their current coaches. That's about all you need to know. I would be curious to know who those 4 wins were against also. I'm pretty sure one was LSU. Other three were probably against pretenders.

Last edited:

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I wondered the same thing when I first started looking. Maybe with a large enough sample size it doesn't make a big difference but I doubt it. The reason I doubt is because one team may have more games against teams that are ranked closer to 25 at the time of the rankings (and some drop out by end of season) while another may have played more teams ranked closer to #1. There is a big difference between teams that finish in the top 8 or so compared to teams that finish from 18-25 (probably explained some in the SEC vs Big 12 argument already noted).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Lol at Miss States record under Mullen. 2-21?? And Ole Miss under Freeze at 2-7. That's why I don't take the Mississippi schools seriously. They slip up and beat a good team about once every 3 or 4 years. So they are combined 4-28 against top 25 teams with their current coaches. That's about all you need to know. I would be curious to know who those 4 wins were against also. I'm pretty sure one was LSU. Other three were probably against pretenders.
In Mullen's first year, State went 1-4 against Top 25 teams. The one win came against #20 Ole Miss. State again went 1-4 in 2010; the lone win game against #22 Florida. He went 0-4 in 2011 and 2012 and 0-5 in 2013.

Hugh Freeze went 1-4 in his first year in Oxford. The win came against #25 Mississippi State (Mullen's win in 2009 was 41-27, and Freeze's win was 41-24. Both were home games, too. Anyone else find that crazy?). Freeze went 1-3 last season, and the one win game against LSU like you mentioned.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
In Mullen's first year, State went 1-4 against Top 25 teams. The one win came against #20 Ole Miss. State again went 1-4 in 2010; the lone win game against #22 Florida. He went 0-4 in 2011 and 2012 and 0-5 in 2013.

Hugh Freeze went 1-4 in his first year in Oxford. The win came against #25 Mississippi State (Mullen's win in 2009 was 41-27, and Freeze's win was 41-24. Both were home games, too. Anyone else find that crazy?). Freeze went 1-3 last season, and the one win game against LSU like you mentioned.
This is exactly why in the other thread I wasn't in the least bit interested in hearing about how tough the games against State and Ole Miss are going to be this year. So they have basically beat each other once, a #22 ranked Florida team, and the one win vs LSU last year. Other than the LSU win, those are fringe top 25 teams. I'm not worried about either one of those games this year. We have a two game season IMO, LSU and AU.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
At their current schools, 3 guys have better winning percentages. Malzahn, Meyer and Shaw. But that was in 32 total games among the 3. Saban has coached 40 such games. I'd like to see their percentages at 40, and then we'll compare.

Same with overall. Saban has coached 85 total games vs. top 25 competition. Only Stoops is close to the amount of games (73), and has a better percentage. That stunned me. But as was just pointed out by DC Tide, it was vs. Big 12. The other coaches (Malzahn, Fisher, Meyer, Shaw, and Petersen) have coached in 89 COMBINED games vs. top-25s. Again, call me after they've done this in 80+ games each.
The difference between Stoops and CNS is all of Stoops have been at Oklahoma. CNS took over programs that had to be rebuilt. I suspect if you take out the early Bama, LSU and MSU games CNS's record would be nothing short of astounding.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.