Question: O-line opinion from people that have seen them live

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It is definitely not out of the realm of possibility that our QB situation doesn't turn how we think it will (be it Blake or Coker) and the Oline doesn't much improve from last year. At that point we've got major problems.
I dunno - our OL last year wasn't what we've come to expect under CNS, but most teams in FBS would KILL to have an OL as effective as ours was last year.

I believe that if the OL is only as good as last years' we'll be a more complete team. The D should be quite a bit better and the experienced talent we have (barring injury) will be out of this world - even if we have a 'mediocre' QB.

Until I hear news indicating otherwise, I think we go undefeated. UF and AU are the only two teams I'm currently worried about. LSU has little experienced depth and is replacing a QB as well.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I dunno - our OL last year wasn't what we've come to expect under CNS, but most teams in FBS would KILL to have an OL as effective as ours was last year.

I believe that if the OL is only as good as last years' we'll be a more complete team. The D should be quite a bit better and the experienced talent we have 9barring injury) will be out of this world - even if we have a 'mediocre' QB.

Until I hear news indicating otherwise, I think we go undefeated. UF and AU are the only two teams I'm currently worried about. LSU has little experienced depth and is replacing a QB as well.
Yeah, I think most teams would have liked to have over 450 yds/game and 38 pts/game. It was destined to happen that the 2013 group would not look as good or perform as well as the 2012 OL with all the top 3 round NFL talent. I think the group this year will out perform last years group.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I dunno - our OL last year wasn't what we've come to expect under CNS, but most teams in FBS would KILL to have an OL as effective as ours was last year. ...
This ^, and I personally think we will improve as a unit.

However, I understand why there is so much nervousness. A new starting quarterback behind an unproven line with a true freshman left tackle (if that is really how it shakes out) is good reason to be somewhat pessimistic.

Andy

3rd Team
Jan 21, 2005
Why would we change our blocking technique or system that had been so successful under Pendry and then under Jeff Southland. I understand Cristobal teaches something different, but why change something that was one of our biggest strengths. Why not have Cristobal teach what we already had in place, or if that is not possible, hire someone who does teach the same way?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Yeah, I think most teams would have liked to have over 450 yds/game and 38 pts/game. It was destined to happen that the 2013 group would not look as good or perform as well as the 2012 OL with all the top 3 round NFL talent. I think the group this year will out perform last years group.
This - it's almost impossible to think we wouldn't have some drop off. We lost two lineman that were top 11 picks for crying out loud. The other guy we lost also just so happened to be one of the most decorated lineman in the history of college football, and likely would have been a higher pick if not for his injury. That type of talent isn't easy to replace, and even if you do have some guys with the same physical talent they are not going to have the same level of experience, at least not yet. Fluker and Chance were three year starters, and Jones was a 4 year starter.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I agree. 2012 = one of the most dominant lines in Tide history. 2013 = problems with half the line returning from 2012. The difference? A new coach and new scheme. The data points to an obvious conclusion as to the cause of the dropoff. I agree that this year will tell if last year was just a hiccup or there is a real problem. If there is a problem, I suspect that CNS will have a new OL coach early in 2015.
Lets not forget that a lot of the 2012 OL also played in 2010.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I really think many people are underestimating LSU. They are a mirror image of us as a program and are in the same rebuild/reload situation as us yet many say we will be 12-0 or 11-1 while LSU will be 9-3 or 8-4?? I honestly think the Bama/LSU decides the West unless AU has another year of miraculous luck. I'm not singling your thoughts out it's just many others have similar thoughts as you on the subject which is surprising to me with LSU's track record. They were a better team than Auburn last year but didn't have 10% of the luck.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I really think many people are underestimating LSU. They are a mirror image of us as a program and are in the same rebuild/reload situation as us yet many say we will be 12-0 or 11-1 while LSU will be 9-3 or 8-4?? I honestly think the Bama/LSU decides the West unless AU has another year of miraculous luck. I'm not singling your thoughts out it's just many others have similar thoughts as you on the subject which is surprising to me with LSU's track record. They were a better team than Auburn last year but didn't have 10% of the luck.
LSU lost more underclassmen to the NFL draft than any other team over the last two years (17!).

Just in the 2014 draft, LSU lost:
348 of 523 rush attepmts
296 of 326 pass attempts
170 of 205 receptions
32-36 KO returns
19-23 P returns

Are they talented? Absolutely.

Are they inexperienced and thin? Absolutely.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I'm a little worried about the chemistry (word gets overused, but it fits). Two guys have been out for days. The same 5 have apparently played together all that time. How hard or easy is it to slide those players into spots? I'm hearing that Cam's spot is solid. Taylor may be the one to move back for an upperclassman. (My info is from an inside observer, but just his opinion I'm repeating). I was one of those in the Chad Lindsey camp last year. But Kelly gets a lot of respect from the coaches and from other teams -- I think he is on a couple of post-season award watch lists, so I certainly defer to my betters.

I will add that I expect our TE play to be much better than last year. I don't forget that O-linemen were flagged two critical times in Lee County.

And whatever else, they are competing against top notch talent every single practice. We have to give the QB (whomever it is) time this year to mature, go through reads, make decisions, be confident he won't be hit at the moment of a hand off or pitch....

centerstar

2nd Team
Nov 4, 2011

I believe that if the OL is only as good as last years' we'll be a more complete team. The D should be quite a bit better and the experienced talent we have (barring injury) will be out of this world - even if we have a 'mediocre' QB.

I agree completely, but most teams don't have our standards. Most teams would be happy with the record we had last year too.

PDL

All-SEC
Oct 16, 2005
Birmingham, AL
I agree. 2012 = one of the most dominant lines in Tide history. 2013 = problems with half the line returning from 2012. The difference? A new coach and new scheme.The data points to an obvious conclusion as to the cause of the dropoff. I agree that this year will tell if last year was just a hiccup or there is a real problem. If there is a problem, I suspect that CNS will have a new OL coach early in 2015.
I see what you are saying but that's not the only difference. We lost 3 All Americans/NFL draft picks, 2 of them 1st rounders. A new coach and scheme may have something to do with it, but you don't lose talent like that and NOT have a dropoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Instead of beginning a new thread I'll post it here instead..Here's an article from AlabamaINTEL & former Alabama O-Lineman William "Redfish" Barger & his opinion about our O-Line situation..From the sound of it, it's a good thang Stoutland isn't here no longer, I didn't realize how bad of job Stoutland truly did..

Here's The Link..CLICK ME

“I thought we were not as physically strong last season as we had been in the recent past. I don’t know if “Yeah, Yeah” is slipping or if the opponents were juiced, but something wasn’t right. I hope this year is better.”
Above is from the INTEL poster PR
The OL did not mash people last year because most of the Joe Pendry evaluations are gone. For all the people that thought the sky was falling because Jeff Stoutland, now the OL coach with the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles, left you are now seeing why he will not be missed. Pendry left him with a fully stocked pond of OL talent and he was not able to come close to Joe in maintaining it. Every time you cussed Mario Cristobal last year you were cussing the wrong OL coach. He did not evaluate Caleb Gulledge, Issac Luatua, etc. It’s Jeff Stoutland’s fault that true freshman Cameron Robinson is having to play Left Tackle this year.
Next we take a look at Stoutland’s OL recruits. While he was the OL coach for 2011 class, he does not get credit for them (just 2012 and 2013) because Coach Joe Pendry evaluated them all and he took the job in Jan 2011. Less than 30 days till NSD.
****Stoutland was a good position coach/teacher but was not very good at evaluating HS OL
Caleb Gulledge (now at Jacksonville State)
Brandon Greene
Brandon Hill (transferred to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College)

*Caleb Gulledge and Brandon Hill are no longer with the program
*Brandon Hill
Grant Hill
*Leon Brown

*Brandon Hill had to be re-signed after failing to qualify
What does this say ? Stoutland’s only 2 recruiting classes only had “6″ OL in them. Out of those 6 and one player was signed 2x (Brandon Hill) so really the hard number is 5. Only 3 are still with the program for the 2014 season.
Now you know why Mario had to sign 6 OL in the 2014 class. Next time Bama fans want to cuss him remember…”You cant make chicken salad out of chicken poop.”

Alabama offensive line coach Mario Cristobal enters his 2nd season at UA

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I disagree about your assessment of LSU. IMO we are deeper and more talented/experienced at the skill position. We are also bringing back more experience on defense. And even though LSU and Bama have unproven QB situations, I think we have the edge there also. I don't think LSU will lose 4 games like some but I think this is the first time since CNS has been here that we should have the decided advantage across the board.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I see what you are saying but that's not the only difference. We lost 3 All Americans/NFL draft picks, 2 of them 1st rounders. A new coach and scheme may have something to do with it, but you don't lose talent like that and NOT have a dropoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. With all due respect to Steen and CyKo, but buy we lost the 3 best of the 5 we had in 2012 last year. Not saying they were bad, but Fluker and Warmack were day 1 NFL starters last year, and Jones may be the most decorated lineman in CFB History (along with having a level of class not of this world).

kat4bama

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2009
I just hope Arie improves this year. Maybe he will without his brother to lean on. sure hope so.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
LSU lost more underclassmen to the NFL draft than any other team over the last two years (17!).

Just in the 2014 draft, LSU lost:
348 of 523 rush attepmts
296 of 326 pass attempts
170 of 205 receptions
32-36 KO returns
19-23 P returns

Are they talented? Absolutely.

Are they inexperienced and thin? Absolutely.
One thing about the who's - inexperience will tell the tale. They have the best rb in the nation (according to scout services) and probably the best wr as well. Neither has any experience, but if they blow up and the light comes on quickly, the who's could be extremely dangerous on offense (with 'sufficient' qb play). I have no idea about their defense, but JC has been around a long time and has been a nemesis for Bama as well, so I wouldn't write them off either.
They may be 9-3 or 8-4....or they could have no losses, or maybe one by the time they play Bama. Game against the Badgers will tell a lot.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
One thing about the who's - inexperience will tell the tale. They have the best rb in the nation (according to scout services) and probably the best wr as well. Neither has any experience, but if they blow up and the light comes on quickly, the who's could be extremely dangerous on offense (with 'sufficient' qb play). I have no idea about their defense, but JC has been around a long time and has been a nemesis for Bama as well, so I wouldn't write them off either.
They may be 9-3 or 8-4....or they could have no losses, or maybe one by the time they play Bama. Game against the Badgers will tell a lot.
Again, I don't mean to suggest they'll be a bad team - they'll probably be the most talented team Bama plays (LSU or UF) - I was simply answering a previous poster who brought up how good LSU has been in the last few years as reasoning as why they would be good (as in challenging for the west) this year. I don't see them being good enough to win the west (or beat Bama, honestly) with all the losses they've endured, but they will be a good team.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
While Cristobal uses a different blocking scheme than Pendry and Stoutland, Kiffin's offense allows for both man and zone blocking. That should help if there are any issues with Cristobal's coaching last year. I'm not sure there was, though. He's been highly regarded for years, and a coach doesn't get a reputation for nothing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.