Question: O-line opinion from people that have seen them live

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
I do not think it is a coach problem.
Hope you're right. But everything points to the drop off after 2012, different blocking schemes and different OL coach. I trust Coach Saban will handle everything if we have the same issues this year that we had last year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Something to consider when pointing the "lackluster" performance of the 2013 OL (Can we really say it was bad? The 2012 OL was so great, most any OL would seem bad.) - Bama got a new OL and DB coach in 2013. Both coaches were handed an inexperienced group. One remains on staff. The other is coaching at Louisville.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
My biggest complaint of the offensive line last year was not being able to get the 3rd and short and 4 and short yards. Like others have mentioned that 2012 group was one of the best I have ever seen. I didn't think we would be that good again on the line but was disappointed in the toughness and effort on those short yardage situations. Those plays to me are more about effort and toughness than skill and technique. Now we could have also been less predictable in the plays that were called in those situations. That would have helped also.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I disagree about your assessment of LSU. IMO we are deeper and more talented/experienced at the skill position. We are also bringing back more experience on defense. And even though LSU and Bama have unproven QB situations, I think we have the edge there also. I don't think LSU will lose 4 games like some but I think this is the first time since CNS has been here that we should have the decided advantage across the board.
Again, I don't mean to suggest they'll be a bad team - they'll probably be the most talented team Bama plays (LSU or UF) - I was simply answering a previous poster who brought up how good LSU has been in the last few years as reasoning as why they would be good (as in challenging for the west) this year. I don't see them being good enough to win the west (or beat Bama, honestly) with all the losses they've endured, but they will be a good team.
IF Bama and CNS have it rolling and we go into Death Valley and beat CLM convincingly this year, the locals will start calling for his head. He's one bad season from his butt being on fire.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hope you're right. But everything points to the drop off after 2012, different blocking schemes and different OL coach.
I just can't wrap my head around this 'logic' - Bama lost two first round draft pics from the OL, along with a four year starter that won virtually every award a lineman can win, and people still think it's coaching?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
My biggest complaint of the offensive line last year was not being able to get the 3rd and short and 4 and short yards. Like others have mentioned that 2012 group was one of the best I have ever seen. I didn't think we would be that good again on the line but was disappointed in the toughness and effort on those short yardage situations. Those plays to me are more about effort and toughness than skill and technique. Now we could have also been less predictable in the plays that were called in those situations. That would have helped also.
They looked confused very often. How many times did we see a DL go unblocked and be in our running backs face about the time he got the handoff?

If you are confused, you'll be timid. If you are timid, even if you fulfill the correct blocking assignment, you'll probably get beat.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
They looked confused very often. How many times did we see a DL go unblocked and be in our running backs face about the time he got the handoff?

If you are confused, you'll be timid. If you are timid, even if you fulfill the correct blocking assignment, you'll probably get beat.
I do agree that at times they looked confused, but that could be an result of inexperience not coaching. Some guys have to be in the trenches for a year to put it all together. Great coaching doesn't always make for good players. It sometimes needs to be coaching, talent, and experience combined to produce good consistent play.

Changing the scheme may have contributed some as it was a transition for line that coupled with the loss of the veterans that led to a drop off in performance.

I will say to the point of not getting the 3rd and 4th down short yardage that I saw some stacked lines of scrimmage. Defenses knew what was coming. Heck everyone on the planet knew what was coming. They sometimes just had more coming than could be blocked or just so many that creases were hard to come by. More variety and willingness to spread them out and throw or spread them out and run it might have helped. Nussmeier didn't get creative very often, and I also kept asking myself why Fowler wasn't in the game to lead the way some from a FB position. That could have helped the line pick up a guy at the point of attack.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I do agree that at times they looked confused, but that could be an result of inexperience not coaching..
I agree and didn't mean to imply I thought is was just coaching. I was simply making a reference to how we didn't always blow off the LOS in short yardage situations.

You can't do anything well in sports if you are overthinking it while you are trying to do it.

Hopefully that was what was wrong with AK last year and he'll be more decisive and, as a result, dominant this year.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Agreed. With all due respect to Steen and CyKo, but buy we lost the 3 best of the 5 we had in 2012 last year. Not saying they were bad, but Fluker and Warmack were day 1 NFL starters last year, and Jones may be the most decorated lineman in CFB History (along with having a level of class not of this world).
made me smile :)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I like our chances this year and expect the o-line to be much improved. Let's not forget, not too long ago, we hoped we would win not thought we would win like now.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I agree and didn't mean to imply I thought is was just coaching. I was simply making a reference to how we didn't always blow off the LOS in short yardage situations.

You can't do anything well in sports if you are overthinking it while you are trying to do it.

Hopefully that was what was wrong with AK last year and he'll be more decisive and, as a result, dominant this year.
I agree that scheme change, chemistry, and inexperience may have made them all over think instead of naturally and instinctively react to the situation. I hope that it is a little like what we have seen with DB's at Bama. They tend to make big strides in performance in their second year of play. This would be true of Kelly, AK, and Sheppard.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
my major concern has been the off line before spring practice. it affects the whole offense, not just the run game. I don't blame coaching. it is just a drop off in recruiting the off line. we may have to count on two jr college transfers to bolster the line. one has been the norm for the left tackle position. I really like the freshmen this year, but only one will start. I think the new group will be physical next years team. maybe Jackson or brown can get it done, with cam.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.