Link: Saturday Down South's 10 Best SEC RB's of the BCS Era

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I don't know his stats, but I think Arian Foster should probably be on that list. I hated it when he was in the backfield for the Viles.

I sure hope Derrick Henry has a great season. Conversations about him remind me a little of Linnie Patrick.
I can see leaving him off. He's been better in the pros than he was in college. At ut, he only went over 900 yards once and had a poor senior year with 566 yards rushing. He was a good back, but I just don't see anybody on the list that I would bump to put him in there.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
As much as I love Bama and our RBs, saying we have 4 out of the 10 best RBs over the last 15 years in the SEC is shocking, especially since we were really only competitive in half of those seasons. I would have to go back and look through some team rosters to convince myself about that.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
After seeing the stats Shaun Alexander should be in the Top 2 and above all the other Bama Backs. I'd have Mark Ingram ahead of Trent Richardson too. Shaun and Mark have better stats and way more memorable MVP Moments in games where they saved our bacon.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
After seeing the stats Shaun Alexander should be in the Top 2 and above all the other Bama Backs. I'd have Mark Ingram ahead of Trent Richardson too. Shaun and Mark have better stats and way more memorable MVP Moments in games where they saved our bacon.
I agree about Shaun. For whatever reason, people seem to forget how good he really was.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
shaun is still the best in my opinion, and for all his productivity yeldon's lack of a power running component and his fumble-fingers keep him off that list for me.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Shaun should be número uno. I know this list doesn't take into account NFL careers, but look at what he did the NFL. In fact, most of these guys didn't have good NFL careers. Very surprising.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Shaun should be número uno. I know this list doesn't take into account NFL careers, but look at what he did the NFL. In fact, most of these guys didn't have good NFL careers. Very surprising.
A lot of those running backs physically dominated in college and were not successful in the pros because that is the only style of running they know (TR). Shaun on the other hand dominated college with his vision and feel for getting through the line of scrimmage, and that translates better to the NFL more so than being bigger and faster than everybody else.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
Surprised to see todd gurley or musa smith didnt make the list. Even though he was a troubled youth isaiah crowell was a great back. Robert edwards was a great back also even though his time in the b.c.s era was short. Eddie lacy shouldve definitely been included imo.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
A lot of those running backs physically dominated in college and were not successful in the pros because that is the only style of running they know (TR). Shaun on the other hand dominated college with his vision and feel for getting through the line of scrimmage, and that translates better to the NFL more so than being bigger and faster than everybody else.
Agreed. Shaun was the best I've ever seen at doing this. Shaun was not even in the same ballpark as guys like Ingram and Richardson in terms of physicality (apparently he avoided the weight room like the plague, from some accounts), but I've never seen an RB with a more natural ability to find the seam and wriggle through it.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Pretty much agree with the list, though I'd probably replace Yeldon with Lacy.

Having watched Lattimore, he definitely belongs on the list. He was a complete back. Despite only playing roughly 2.5 seasons he has the most receptions of anyone on the list. I agree with him being 8th (hard to argue with the guys ahead of him), but he does belong.

Despite how good Bama backs have been, hard to dispute McFadden at #1 either. Overall a good stab by the author.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
If Lacy's not on the list then the list isn't legit. That gentlemen, is strictly my opinion, but I'll stick with it.
sip
It's really a ranking of who had the best careers.

Amazing that we've got more RBs on that list than # RunningbackU. I'm sure they're organizing formal protests on ITAT as we speak.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
Randell Cobb? Should be on there. Dude ran, threw, received, returned, dude terrorized defense in college and now in the NFL with Green bay.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Shaun should have won the Heisman and IMO he is our best runner ever. He had the best vision of any back and just seemed to glide through defenses almost effortlessly. He was faster than most think because he seldom was caught from behind.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.