West Virginia 3-3-5 Defense against Alabama

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
USC has used a 4-2-5 with much success that past few years, with it being particularly effective against spread-type offenses. I assume the logic is similar with the 3-3-5. What USC has found is that the D is not especially as good against a power running game. As others have suggested, probably a good D for WVU against Big 12 spread offenses, but I doubt it is ideal for stopping Bama.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Coach Kines is as "Old School" as it gets & I have a lot of respect for the man..What coditions he was forced to work under his last go around at Bama, his D's were pretty dadgum good, he was one of the very few bright spots at Bama during the Shula years..
Speaking of "inside trap" LOL, never gets old seeing Joe Kines, one of the only bright spots of the Shula debacle.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
USC has used a 4-2-5 with much success that past few years, with it being particularly effective against spread-type offenses. I assume the logic is similar with the 3-3-5. What USC has found is that the D is not especially as good against a power running game. As others have suggested, probably a good D for WVU against Big 12 spread offenses, but I doubt it is ideal for stopping Bama.
TCU has been running the 4-2-5 for years. Our nickel set is a 4-2-5 base.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
I've heard Coach Saban talking about their 3-3-5 defense and stated how it is unique to prepare against the defense. It is basically made up of 3 men on the line, 3 linebackers and 5 Defensive backs. What it does is create confusion for defense, because they have eto figure out who is blitizing, and what coverage they are in man or zone. This is a good method to use against Spread teams such as Florida, Texas A and M and etc. The thing about WV is that they can use 3-3-5 and can be convert to 4-3 or 3-4 formations with same players. I don't think we'll have problem against them... just expect them to attack the left side of the Offense ( CR and AK) and lot of corner blitzes. lt's going to be a challenge for us, but I think we'll see us being successful with lot of deep passes and our running games shouldn't suffer because of this. What says ya?
OK.........Yeldon, Henry and Drake will generate over 400 yards of rushing offense and you can add another 200 yards of passing offense to our total. A genuine butt whoopin' is on the horizon.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I agree with all of you. A 3-3-5 screams for us to run and if they shift we can dump a quick pass off. Should help in us not needing to throw many long passes.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Are you saying they have linebackers and safeties big enough to move up? Or just that they stick bodies there for that alignment?

HUGE difference in those two options, which is why I wonder. I'd be surprised if they aligned in a 3-3-5 and suddenly swapped to a 4-3 or 3-4 as it essentially means cheating the line with a smaller guy. Bama's done similar in the past but CNS recruits HUGE players, so bringing an OLB up to put his knuckle in the dirt isn't a big deal.

Just curious. I think it's all academic anyway, as assuming the Bama OL is moderately good I think they can run off tackle every play of the game and win by multiple TDs.
Ditto this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.