West Virginia 3-3-5 Defense against Alabama

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I understand. This goes back to what i was saying, if it can be somewhat convert to 3-4 with same personnel... is this something saban will try and use to little degrees this year? We do have lot of weapons on the field, Naw...... he won't do that.

I think a 3-3-5 might work well against an Auburn-like offense (OM as well), though I'm not one ready to call CNS's defense worthless against those offenses - I mean, Bama held the Barn to 28 points in regulation (essentially). That's a lot of points but these teams are built to score a LOT.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I understand. This goes back to what i was saying, if it can be somewhat convert to 3-4 with same personnel... is this something saban will try and use to little degrees this year? We do have lot of weapons on the field, Naw...... he won't do that.
Coach Saban has used multiple personnel groups before to give a variety of looks. We do play 335 a decent amount (we just don't normally run it stacked like WV does). But when you had someone like Mark Barron playing in the box, it was almost like a 3-4 since he was big and physical enough to be a LB.

In 2011 we used a 2-4-5 personnel group a lot in third down situations, but lined up in the 4-2-5. Hightower and Upshaw gave us that capability.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Coach Saban has used multiple personnel groups before to give a variety of looks. We do play 335 a decent amount (we just don't normally run it stacked like WV does). But when you had someone like Mark Barron playing in the box, it was almost like a 3-4 since he was big and physical enough to be a LB.

In 2011 we used a 2-4-5 personnel group a lot in third down situations, but lined up in the 4-2-5. Hightower and Upshaw gave us that capability.
Yes.. yes. That makes me wonder what kind of scheme will we run based on our personnel.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
I see what you're saying. That was what I was trying to convey... that there's many way to expliot 3-3-4 defense and this kind of defense isn't ideal against Alabama... but might work against Auburn?
We better be able to exploit that one, they is a man short!! ;) j/k

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
When we used the 3-3-5 under DC Kines, our worst matchups were power run teams. We'd hold up decently but the matchup was clearly not ideal for us.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Henry and Howard should have a field day, but the player that may create the most mismatch problems could be Drake especially how they are using him in practice here lately. I am looking for a big year from him, he could greatly improve his NFL stock if he does.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Other than a power running, can you exploit it with the pass?

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
With this, you completely run to set up the pass. We should be successful in off-tackle runs and a few screens. This will bring the DB's in closer ... when you catch em cheating on the run, then you can dump it all over the place. You simply take what they give you ;)

With this, you completely run to set up the pass. We should be successful in off-tackle runs and a few screens. This will bring the DB's in closer ... when you catch em cheating on the run, then you can dump it all over the place. You simply take what they give you ;)
I'm really hoping that's the case. Most run some quick hitters to get them off balance.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
And this game plan will be a great way to break in a new QB.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

We've run that 4-2-5 alignment a lot with 4 guys who are usually LBs - not just in 2012. Hubbard, Duvall and Dickson have been the LB's with their hands in the dirt in 2012 and 2013 with Williams getting a little time in that package last year. We ran it before 2011 also with Anders and Upshaw. It's really nice because with the players we've had we can use the same guys to run either the 3-3-5 or the 4-2-5 with the same grouping on the field.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I know it doesn't mean anything right now, but I tested the 3-3-5 defense on NCAA Football '14 with Alabama against West virginia... ( roster is updated to reflect the changes of now) I made sure all setting were accurate and fair game. Offense did indeed had field day against them because of defense. TE was constantly was open on almost all plays. I even went to spread formations several times and I was able to go on long drives mostly because I was in a hurry up mode and it forced them to get tired real fast and they made ton of mistakes and I wouldn't let them sub their players out. I noticed that I formation, Ace Formation, Pistol packages worked well against them, where as any plays that invovles WR to go to middle of the field, ball was either swapped away or intercepted. Now, whenever QB scrambled... it opened up the field for WRS... because one of the LBs had to come down and the Corner back was already blitizing That left a man open. So in the end, I would like to say that We definitely will see lot of TEs getting some look early in the game, and then as they adjust, expect our WRs to get open more. The rushing game will definitely help. Having Drake and TJ will help a lot early on and Henry will wear them down in second half.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
We've run that 4-2-5 alignment a lot with 4 guys who are usually LBs - not just in 2012. Hubbard, Duvall and Dickson have been the LB's with their hands in the dirt in 2012 and 2013 with Williams getting a little time in that package last year. We ran it before 2011 also with Anders and Upshaw. It's really nice because with the players we've had we can use the same guys to run either the 3-3-5 or the 4-2-5 with the same grouping on the field.

Yep, that's part of what makes coach's defenses so special. I was only using that 2011 formation as an example, since Upshaw and Hightower ran that to perfection.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Maybe they think that speed will overwhelm the OL.

Sent from my iPhone

This is one school of thought among those that advocate the 3-3-5. Missouri made a bizarre - and very fruitless - shift to it for a period of time against AU in the SECCG last season. I'm assuming the Mizzou DC thought his front six could overwhelm AU's offensive front with speed. Didn't work out that way.

The 3-3-5 is a great base formation for defending a pass-heavy spread, i.e. the Air Raid. It's a wise choice for a Big XII team light on defensive talent. Practically three-quarters of that conference runs some variation of the Air Raid.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
i saw that. I was wondering why they didn't make it hard on OL to figure it out who to block.
This is one school of thought among those that advocate the 3-3-5. Missouri made a bizarre - and very fruitless - shift to it for a period of time against AU in the SECCG last season. I'm assuming the Mizzou DC thought his front six could overwhelm AU's offensive front with speed. Didn't work out that way.

The 3-3-5 is a great base formation for defending a pass-heavy spread, i.e. the Air Raid. It's a wise choice for a Big XII team light on defensive talent. Practically three-quarters of that conference runs some variation of the Air Raid.

Thanks for the info. I was just making sure that what I was thinking was right.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.