West Virginia 3-3-5 Defense against Alabama

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I've heard Coach Saban talking about their 3-3-5 defense and stated how it is unique to prepare against the defense. It is basically made up of 3 men on the line, 3 linebackers and 5 Defensive backs. What it does is create confusion for defense, because they have eto figure out who is blitizing, and what coverage they are in man or zone. This is a good method to use against Spread teams such as Florida, Texas A and M and etc. The thing about WV is that they can use 3-3-5 and can be convert to 4-3 or 3-4 formations with same players. I don't think we'll have problem against them... just expect them to attack the left side of the Offense ( CR and AK) and lot of corner blitzes. lt's going to be a challenge for us, but I think we'll see us being successful with lot of deep passes and our running games shouldn't suffer because of this. What says ya?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I've heard Coach Saban talking about their 3-3-5 defense and stated how it is unique to prepare against the defense. It is basically made up of 3 men on the line, 3 linebackers and 5 Defensive backs. What it does is create confusion for defense, because they have eto figure out who is blitizing, and what coverage they are in man or zone. This is a good method to use against Spread teams such as Florida, Texas A and M and etc. The thing about WV is that they can use 3-3-5 and can be convert to 4-3 or 3-4 formations with same players. I don't think we'll have problem against them... just expect them to attack the left side of the Offense ( CR and AK) and lot of corner blitzes. lt's going to be a challenge for us, but I think we'll see us being successful with lot of deep passes and our running games shouldn't suffer because of this. What says ya?
it seems that a strong running game will be good against this type of d. id like to see dbs tackling yeldon, drake and henry for four quarters.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Joe Kines ran the 3-3-5.

We were good with it in 2005, because we had some really good players (Demeco, Roman Harper, Mark Anderson, etc.)

But it does leave you pretty light against a power run game.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'The thing about WV is that they can use 3-3-5 and can be convert to 4-3 or 3-4 formations with same players.
Are you saying they have linebackers and safeties big enough to move up? Or just that they stick bodies there for that alignment?

HUGE difference in those two options, which is why I wonder. I'd be surprised if they aligned in a 3-3-5 and suddenly swapped to a 4-3 or 3-4 as it essentially means cheating the line with a smaller guy. Bama's done similar in the past but CNS recruits HUGE players, so bringing an OLB up to put his knuckle in the dirt isn't a big deal.

Just curious. I think it's all academic anyway, as assuming the Bama OL is moderately good I think they can run off tackle every play of the game and win by multiple TDs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Are you saying they have linebackers and safeties big enough to move up? Or just that they stick bodies there for that alignment?

HUGE difference in those two options, which is why I wonder. I'd be surprised if they aligned in a 3-3-5 and suddenly swapped to a 4-3 or 3-4 as it essentially means cheating the line with a smaller guy. Bama's done similar in the past but CNS recruits HUGE players, so bringing an OLB up to put his knuckle in the dirt isn't a big deal.

Just curious. I think it's all academic anyway, as assuming the Bama OL is moderately good I think they can run off tackle every play of the game and win by multiple TDs.
Here's a breakdown of their spring depth chart. They aren't lacking size really in the front 6. Their secondary, OTOH, isn't that big.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Joe Kines ran the 3-3-5.

We were good with it in 2005, because we had some really good players (Demeco, Roman Harper, Mark Anderson, etc.)

But it does leave you pretty light against a power run game.
Gang tackling is a must with this type defense. Most teams that run it are very undersized somewhere on the field or in multiple areas on the field.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Here's a breakdown of their spring depth chart. They aren't lacking size really in the front 6. Their secondary, OTOH, isn't that big.
Exactly - but any shift from the 3-3-5 to a 4-3 or 3-4 requires someone (safety, i'd assume) to roll up in place of those big bodies.

From watching the 3-3-5 over the years, bend but don't break seems to be the best description - with fewer big bodies up front, yards tend tom come in gashes, but as the field gets smaller, the defense suddenly looks like it's everywhere. That said, a good power game should punch right through this defense.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Exactly - but any shift from the 3-3-5 to a 4-3 or 3-4 requires someone (safety, i'd assume) to roll up in place of those big bodies.

From watching the 3-3-5 over the years, bend but don't break seems to be the best description - with fewer big bodies up front, yards tend tom come in gashes, but as the field gets smaller, the defense suddenly looks like it's everywhere. That said, a good power game should punch right through this defense.
If they line up in a 4-3 front they will have a 230 pound LB at DE and a 210 pound safety at OLB.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I think we can exploit the lack of size with a power run game, and I don't expect many deep passes. I'm thinking that Kiffin will seek some mismatches...think Drake vs. a slower S or LB in the flat or across the middle.

The 335 does allow some pretty interesting blitz packages. WV will probably try to be pretty aggressive and rattle the QB(s) so I really expect easy throws that allow the playmakers opportunities to get loose.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Not against teams like Alabama, but can be done against Clemson, USC, etc...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I see what you're saying. That was what I was trying to convey... that there's many way to expliot 3-3-4 defense and this kind of defense isn't ideal against Alabama... but might work against Auburn?
I think a 3-3-5 might work well against an Auburn-like offense (OM as well), though I'm not one ready to call CNS's defense worthless against those offenses - I mean, Bama held the Barn to 28 points in regulation (essentially). That's a lot of points but these teams are built to score a LOT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.