Evolving the Option: The Pop Pass and the Future of Football

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Saw another thread (another board) about the notorious play against the barn.

I'm not sure about this, but is it a violation that all the "eligible" receivers downfield had already started blocking?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Saw another thread (another board) about the notorious play against the barn.

I'm not sure about this, but is it a violation that all the "eligible" receivers downfield had already started blocking?
I guess that (or a pick call) could have been called with the ball in the air, but you are not going to get those very often when it is out of the immediate area.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
That's what we ran. Called it tight end dump!

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
We called it "oops". On any draw play the QB could pull the ball back (or stop if he was the draw runner) and "pop" pass. The back and QB were supposed to yell OOPS so the linemen would not continue downfield. It was very funny and usually a touchdown when it worked.

Last edited:
We called it "oops". On any draw play he could pull the ball back and "pop" pass. The running back was supposed to yell OOPS so the linemen would not continue downfield. It was very funny and usually a touchdown when it worked.
Yep, I played tight end and scores off that play. It's usually me and a safety by ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
These plays are like most anything else - not new, really...

Who remembers Fran's little option-pass from Tyler Watts? Option wide, option wide, option wide - stop and pass.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
These plays are like most anything else - not new, really...

Who remembers Fran's little option-pass from Tyler Watts? Option wide, option wide, option wide - stop and pass.
Yeah, it's not really anything revolutionary in and of itself. The real groundbreaking thing about it is the use within the framework of HUNH offenses, and particularly as a part of "packaged" concepts.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, the pop pass was used last night in a NFL game.

Pete Carroll also credited Auburn with the play.

Pete Carroll did cop to hatching the play. “We’ll go anywhere to find a play,” the Seattle coach said afterward. “And that one—uh, Muschamp at Florida, no … Auburn. They ran it. Give Gus Malzahn credit. That’s a great play. I kept telling them [the offensive staff and players] this summer, ‘It’ll work, it’ll work.’ But it didn’t work all summer.”

The reasons Carroll and Bevell liked the play when they watched Auburn run it last year against Alabama is simple. The read-option assumes the running back or the quarterback will run the ball—the running back if the quarterback sees a hole when he puts the ball in the back’s gut, or the quarterback if he sees traffic and knows he (the quarterback) needs to tuck it down and run. But what if the quarterback, about to get pummeled, pulled it down and just flipped it to the nearest receiver?

“That was a great read by Russell,” said Lockette. “He sees the corner coming up, and so he knows I’m free. It all happens fast, so he’s got to read the play in a split-second.”
If NFL teams continue to use these plays, the offense will stay around longer than many expect.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
What protection does an NFL QB have out of the pocket these days? Can you hit him or you now allowed to touch him after he passes?

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
And guess who whiffed on what would have been a touchdown-saving tackle on the Seattle receiver? Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

I turned the game off at that point. Still suffering from Iron Bowl PTSD I guess.
Yeah, that was hard to watch but Ha Ha had a decent game overall. Had a sack and a fumble recovery and a handful of tackles.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Click

This is a long piece but worth the read. Provides a look at what Alabama is going to face in upcoming years as offenses continue to develop.
Even in the NFL. Seahawks did the same play. Wilson watched for the Packer's CB to take the bait, then lofted a pass over his head to Percy Harbin. But... if you're the CB and play disciplined football, this play won't work.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Even in the NFL. Seahawks did the same play. Wilson watched for the Packer's CB to take the bait, then lofted a pass over his head to Percy Harbin. But... if you're the CB and play disciplined football, this play won't work.
Say Sam Shields played "disciplined football" and played pass. What happens? Russell Wilson goes for 20 yards. The next time Seattle runs the play, what do you expect Shields to do? Play run or pass?

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Bingo. You nailed it. The refs, apparently, sometimes get caught up in the moment.
I dont think it necessarily is the refs getting caught up in the moment. I think what you are basically seeing with that play is that the read-option pass is essentially an illegal play within the current framework of the rule book. You cant sell the run option of the play without OL getting downfield. Essentially you now have entire offenses and programs being sustained off what is essentially an illegal play. I think behind the scenes I think refs are just looking the other way - not calling it. It is an indefensible play and that contradicts the basic tenets of football in that there ought to be a defensive mechanism to stop the play to protect the integrity of the game. Its a loophole that entire programs are driving through now. I think not calling this penalty has allowed creep over into multiple players in motion and not calling enough men on the LOS, etc. This offensive approach is degrading the integrity of officiating right before our very eyes.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Say Sam Shields played "disciplined football" and played pass. What happens? Russell Wilson goes for 20 yards. The next time Seattle runs the play, what do you expect Shields to do? Play run or pass?
Play pass like his assignment calls for. Clay Matthews had the QB on this play. Go back and look at it.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The Barners are all giddy that Seatle is running "one of their plays."

It'll be funny to see them squirm when/if the NFL starts courting Gus. He'll leave Auburn in a New York minute if he has a chance to "prove" his system in the pros.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I dont think it necessarily is the refs getting caught up in the moment. I think what you are basically seeing with that play is that the read-option pass is essentially an illegal play within the current framework of the rule book. You cant sell the run option of the play without OL getting downfield. Essentially you now have entire offenses and programs being sustained off what is essentially an illegal play. I think behind the scenes I think refs are just looking the other way - not calling it. It is an indefensible play and that contradicts the basic tenets of football in that there ought to be a defensive mechanism to stop the play to protect the integrity of the game. Its a loophole that entire programs are driving through now. I think not calling this penalty has allowed creep over into multiple players in motion and not calling enough men on the LOS, etc. This offensive approach is degrading the integrity of officiating right before our very eyes.
I found this article on the net from a few years ago. I think this explains perfectly what we are seeing exploited with offenses now and it not being called. Ironically, this article was from 2010 so its pretty apparent how much things have changed in a short timeframe. Also, as the article indicates it pretty apparent that this rule is in place for a reason as offensive coaches have tried to get this sort of advantage on the defense. Historically, it was obvious to protectors of the game that this sort of play was counterproductive to the game thus the origination of the rule.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
The play was defended the second time they run it. Collinsworth described how it was played properly by the DB and they showed a replay.
Just like every other play, sometimes they are defended, sometimes not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.