Evolving the Option: The Pop Pass and the Future of Football

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Say Sam Shields played "disciplined football" and played pass. What happens? Russell Wilson goes for 20 yards. The next time Seattle runs the play, what do you expect Shields to do? Play run or pass?
You have to spread the box out but the CB has to stay with his assignment until it's impossible for the QB to pass without penalty.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You have to spread the box out but the CB has to stay with his assignment until it's impossible for the QB to pass without penalty.
That is the ideal defense, but I know too many fans that would be yelling for the CB to come up in run support to stop that 10 yard gain.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I dont think it necessarily is the refs getting caught up in the moment. I think what you are basically seeing with that play is that the read-option pass is essentially an illegal play within the current framework of the rule book. You cant sell the run option of the play without OL getting downfield. Essentially you now have entire offenses and programs being sustained off what is essentially an illegal play. I think behind the scenes I think refs are just looking the other way - not calling it. It is an indefensible play and that contradicts the basic tenets of football in that there ought to be a defensive mechanism to stop the play to protect the integrity of the game. Its a loophole that entire programs are driving through now. I think not calling this penalty has allowed creep over into multiple players in motion and not calling enough men on the LOS, etc. This offensive approach is degrading the integrity of officiating right before our very eyes.
Exactly. Both plays (Iron Bowl, and last night's game) were illegal by the rules. OL were blocking downfield on a pass play. That is one of the reasons the CB bit on the run... and we have media and fans celebrating this tripe.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Say Sam Shields played "disciplined football" and played pass. What happens? Russell Wilson goes for 20 yards. The next time Seattle runs the play, what do you expect Shields to do? Play run or pass?
I believe they tried a similar play later in the game in the red zone on the opposite side. The DB stayed with his receiver and it resulted in an incompletion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I believe they tried a similar play later in the game in the red zone on the opposite side. The DB stayed with his receiver and it resulted in an incompletion.
As Carroll said, 'we ran that all summer and it never worked in practice'.

Disciplined defense wins that battle every time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The QB is essentially the unaccounted for man in the read option. A CB cannot account for the QB and cover his man. If the QB keeps the ball a LB or S has to make the play on the QB. This is what makes auburn's version of the read option more dangerous than Ole Miss's and TAMU,'s in addition to auburn having better personnel.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IMO, seeing linemen downfield and then running up to stop the run IS disciplined defense. This crap needs to stop.
NFL rule:
Item 1: Legally Downfield. An ineligible player is not illegally downfield if, after initiating contact with an opponent within one yard of the line of scrimmage during his initial charge:
(a) he moves more than one yard beyond the line while legally blocking or being blocked by an opponent

IOW, as long as the OL engages within 1 yard of the LOS, he can drive his man way back. I didn't see any Seattle OL running down the field without driving someone there.

LOS is the 33.5 yrd line:

Attachments

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
In the Seattle game the ball was snapped from just inside the 33.5 yard line and the lineman 'down field' was at the 30.5 yard line - unless I'm mistaken, the NFL allows linemen to go a maximum of three yards past the line of scrimmage on a pass play.
Fair enough. I didn't see the play because the NFL regular season is a joke, but that's a different discussion for a different day.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
The QB is essentially the unaccounted for man in the read option. A CB cannot account for the QB and cover his man. If the QB keeps the ball a LB or S has to make the play on the QB. This is what makes auburn's version of the read option more dangerous than Ole Miss's and TAMU,'s in addition to auburn having better personnel.
I don't remember seeing TAMU ever run the read option. If they did it was very rare.

Folks cant seem to get that TAMU is more of a Mike Leach at Texas Tech offense (Air Raid) than an Oregon or Auburn offense.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
I remember when Spurrier's three stacked wide receivers was "the future of college football" ...SOS DD
Defenses will adjust - Refs will start calling the rule on linemen downfield and the pendulum will shift

Defense wins championships.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
My main problem with the HUNH is it is specifically used as an exploitation of the rules.

It's bad form IMO. Would you throw a pitch before the hitter is ready? Would you yell in someone's backswing? The refs need to start doing their jobs correctly.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
problem is, with rule changes, what will be considered good D? 400 yds/gm? I hate this type of football, guess I am a dying breed. paving the way for flag/ less physical safer football . CFB will lose me as a fan soon, not that those in charge really care.
BTW, The KSU guard was at least 10 yds downfield, not to mention offensive PI blocking that far downfield. I am sure all that has been discussed to death in this thread, only read a couple of pages

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.