Evolving the Option: The Pop Pass and the Future of Football

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Those of you worried about that one play and the Iron Bowl are missing the forest for that one tiny pine tree. Reading how offenses are inserting various wrinkles into that offense points to how the offenses are progressing.

Whether Hubbard missed an assignment or Cyrus didn't stay with Coates or HaHa shouldn't have come down or they had linemen down field doesn't matter to what other teams are starting to do.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Not worried about that one play even though the thread is ABOUT that one play. It sure as heck matters if Bama was reacting to only what *u could do legally, and what they did was illegal.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not worried about that one play even though the thread is ABOUT that one play. It sure as heck matters if Bama was reacting to only what *u could do legally, and what they did was illegal.
Actually, no, the thread is about the article, which covers a multiplied of plays. The barn play was simply the first part of the article as it's - by far - the most successful use of such a play all of last year.

I suspect RTR91 hoped we'd talk more about the pop play and what football is going to look like in coming years rather than re-addressing that single play. It's what I hoped after reading the article.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Actually, no, the thread is about the article, which covers a multiplied of plays. The barn play was simply the first part of the article as it's - by far - the most successful use of such a play all of last year.

I suspect RTR91 hoped we'd talk more about the pop play and what football is going to look like in coming years rather than re-addressing that single play. It's what I hoped after reading the article.
Pssh.. Don't you know the entire article is the three paragraphs quoted in the OP.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
Fat in the middle, fast on the edges. If you take away the inside run without committing more people and properly execute edge blitzes then you'll start hammering the QB. The QB in this type of offense is even more critical than in a pro style passing attack. Once the inside run isn't killing you and you've popped that QB a couple of times then that offense becomes one dimensional real quick. It takes different personnel to defend a run heavy offense vs a pass heavy offense. Every 15-20 years offenses flip back and forth to be opposite of popular defensive personnel and it's called innovation. It's taken offenses 30 years to put the wishbone in the shotgun and throw it from the edge sometimes. Call me a cynic if I'm not astounded. This, too, will be contained and, eventually, it will reappear with a new "innovation".

yellowstone

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 26, 2001
Stansbury Park, Utah
It looks to me like one of Auburn's OL was almost 5 yards down field when the ball is thrown. That may have been hard for an official to see in that situation. But in some of his other videos, linemen are farther down field. What is that Kansas State OL doing 10-15 yards down field. He just starting sprinting up field when the ball was snapped. Ole Miss had two down field on that video. The only on that looked legal was from the Oklahoma spring game.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I've seen some pretty detailed breakdowns of that play and I don't think a lineman was illegally down field. ...
I agree. I have heard this a lot, and watched it several times. IIRC You get 3 yards to work with and I don't think any of the ineligible ones moved that far. There were cases where I thought they did, but I didn't think so on this play.

I think a lot of people see the back come around the end and think he is ineligible, or don't think the linemen can move past the line of scrimmage at all.

Last edited:

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
Not a student of history, but CFB history has taught me this; one of the great defensive minds in the game will shut this play done cold, and then the NCAA will make a new rule that makes the play easier for the offense, and the beat goes on...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
It looks to me like one of Auburn's OL was almost 5 yards down field when the ball is thrown. That may have been hard for an official to see in that situation. But in some of his other videos, linemen are farther down field. What is that Kansas State OL doing 10-15 yards down field. He just starting sprinting up field when the ball was snapped. Ole Miss had two down field on that video. The only on that looked legal was from the Oklahoma spring game.
I think you are seeing Jay Propst Auburn's fullback.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'll be honest with you - if they get a decent defense down there, they're gonna be really tough to beat. As much as I like making fun of delusional fan bases, his offense is REALLY tough to stop.
yeah, but our d weaknesses (no vinnie, weak on the edges, no penetration) played right into it last year.

anyway, they didn't need decent d to whip our butts in 2010 or 2013 ;)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll be honest with you - if they get a decent defense down there, they're gonna be really tough to beat. As much as I like making fun of delusional fan bases, his offense is REALLY tough to stop.
I want to see how well he does this year before I go that far. Don't get me wrong... what he has done at Auburn is impressive but it was basically an otherworldly player in 2010, and then last year it was a practically new offense than his earlier time at Auburn.

He was less than impressive in 2011 at the barn, and didn't set the world on fire in his one year at Arkansas State. Now we've had an entire off season for defenses to really break down film of everything they did last year. I will bet Coach Saban could probably recite every single play they ran last year. I still expect them to be good, and I still expect them to put up good numbers. But I'm betting we see a good bit of drop off from a year ago. We'll see.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I want to see how well he does this year before I go that far. Don't get me wrong... what he has done at Auburn is impressive but it was basically an otherworldly player in 2010, and then last year it was a practically new offense than his earlier time at Auburn.

He was less than impressive in 2011 at the barn, and didn't set the world on fire in his one year at Arkansas State. Now we've had an entire off season for defenses to really break down film of everything they did last year. I will bet Coach Saban could probably recite every single play they ran last year. I still expect them to be good, and I still expect them to put up good numbers. But I'm betting we see a good bit of drop off from a year ago. We'll see.
Spot on. People seem to gloss over his work in 2011 and 2012 when they want to crown him as the new king of coaching.

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
Another thing that bugs me about all the praise he's getting... yes, they won the iron bowl, but Saban's defense held them in check a large portion of the game and IMO it was his worst defense since his first (perhaps his second also) year at Alabama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The Barn usually does something stupid a year or two after it looks like they might have a good thing going.

Let's see how they deal with a "normal" year of having some injuries (already happening) and maybe having to deal with some adversity of the ball bouncing the wrong way.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.