Student sent to principal's office for saying "Bless you" after someone sneezed

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Re: Student sent to principal's office for saying "Bless you" after someone sneezed

Kendra Turner, 17, of Dyersburg, Tennessee claims the phrase was on a list of things students were not allowed to say in that class, including "my bad," ''hang out," ''dumb," ''stupid" and "stuff."
SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

That is some kind of messed up.

[Assistant Principal] Garner stated, "In this case, this was not a religious issue at all, but more of an issue the teacher felt was a distraction in her class."
Based on the rest of that list, I get that the teacher is trying to get students to express themselves better. But "bless you"? A distraction? Saying "bless you" isn't a distraction. A sneeze is a distraction. A teacher calling out a student for saying something as innocuous as "bless you" is a distraction.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Re: Student sent to principal's office for saying "Bless you" after someone sneezed

Stupid, stupid, stupid. These are people tasked with molding our young people. I would have to pull my child from the school for fear of that kind of stupidity eating its way into her brain.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Somebody's got their "Little Tin God" complex going on down in Dyersburg.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Based on the rest of that list, I get that the teacher is trying to get students to express themselves better. But "bless you"? A distraction? Saying "bless you" isn't a distraction. A sneeze is a distraction. A teacher calling out a student for saying something as innocuous as "bless you" is a distraction.
I can see students who are expected to remain quiet taking advantage of a sneeze to loudly bless someone, just to violate a rule. Assuming these noisy blessings go unchallenged, I can also see students seeing just how far they can push it before something is done about it. Something tells me there is more to this than a simple "bless you"

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL

I can see students who are expected to remain quiet taking advantage of a sneeze to loudly bless someone, just to violate a rule. Assuming these noisy blessings go unchallenged, I can also see students seeing just how far they can push it before something is done about it. Something tells me there is more to this than a simple "bless you"
We talked about that possibility at the office yesterday. I bet that there is more to this story.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

If the teacher says "bless you" does he/she get suspended? Inquiring minds want to know.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I once worked in an office where every time someone sneezed, there was a race to see who could say "Bless you" the quickest and loudest. One of several reasons I hated working there.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I read in another story recently where the teacher said "we aren't going to have Godly speaking" and that a student saying "God bless you" in school was against the law. The teacher had also allegedly demeaned students for their faith and the subject of this teacher's behavior had been discussed in a meeting some time previous to this event. If those accounts are remotely true and even if the student was intentionally disruptive then I support the act of civil disobedience. Id' be willing to bet that the students will learn more from that act than anything else taught in that classroom.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

What if you just dropped the f bomb on them every time they sneezed. Would that be acceptable? Aaaaaachoooooo. FU. I wonder how that would fly?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.