Freshman Receivers coming along

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
Any thoughts or observations on our freshman receivers from folks that may have seen practice or scrimmages. Just wondering how Cameron Sims and Derek Kief are doing. Will they redshirt or will one or both of them get some playing time?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would doubt any of them would receive significant playing time barring a slew of injuries. I mean Chris Black hasn't even really seen the field in a couple years and he was a highly regarded incoming freshman.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The reason I ask is that it seems we always seem to bring a freshman into the rotation every year. Julio, Amari, etc..
We have more quality wide receiver depth now than we ever have. When Julio and Amari came here we really had no #1 receiver. We have several this year not including any of the freshman.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
Seems like next year we will see a big turnover in the wide receiver position. I assume that Cooper will be leaving and we will also lose Christian Jones and DeAndrew White. Foster, Black, Stewart, Sims, Kief and others will be back...Wow!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
As it happens, we are pretty deep at Receiver. Thank goodness.
I'd be pretty happy to redshirt them and have new contenders next year.

My prediction is we run the ball until they stack the line, then whichever QB is in the game tries to make a play.
We may have a few easy passes until they make changes... Then we hit em with something else.
Coach Kiffen has had RBs as receivers, FB as receivers, not to mention our honest to God receivers.
I like that.
We have the Running Backs to pound em up the middle, run over em, and blaze by em.
Every time I think one RB is it, another shows his stuff. Quite impressive. We just have to hold on to the ball.

We may have some talented Freshmen receivers, but they aren't likely to see much playing time this year.
Young talent is at a disadvantage trying to break a line up that includes our current receivers.
Can't quite justify taking a Cooper out of the game to give a true Freshman PT.

Last edited:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
We have more quality wide receiver depth now than we ever have. When Julio and Amari came here we really had no #1 receiver. We have several this year not including any of the freshman.
Plus those are a) just two examples in the past 7 years and b) they're 1st round NFL talent.

i doubt we see much of any of the freshmen.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
My guess is that 2-3 underclassmen will get some decent playing time, simply toget them ready for next year, given the players we'll be losing. Sims seems to be a likely candidate given his height (Kief is still a little light). Also, any player who looks to be a possession receiver like Norwood will get some PT.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I could see Robert Foster, Raheem Falkins, and possibly (big possibly) Cameron Sims. Other than that I don't expect any of the True Freshmen to play even though they are good. Like Crimson Force said this is the deepest we have probably EVER been at WR. Most years Foster would have played right away but redshirted. That is saying something. He could be the type that could be gone after his Junior year.

Bamalawdawg

3rd Team
Dec 28, 2011
And with all those recruiting stars and talent, Stewart, a converted QB projected by many as a DB is making more waves than even Foster.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I would doubt any of them would receive significant playing time barring a slew of injuries. I mean Chris Black hasn't even really seen the field in a couple years and he was a highly regarded incoming freshman.
Black was in line for playing time his true freshman year until he got hurt, causing him to miss the season. Rumors were he was ahead of Coop, but who knows if that's really the case or not...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Black was in line for playing time his true freshman year until he got hurt, causing him to miss the season. Rumors were he was ahead of Coop, but who knows if that's really the case or not...
Yea but he hasn't played at all since then and has been healthy. I'm just saying we are loaded at WR, especially our top 4 or 5. Jones and White are seniors and Amare is a 3 and done player.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think he'll be a major contributor. He was indeed a higher rated prospect than Amari coming out of high school but I think they were ranked like two and three, or three and four. It was close.
He only caught 8 passes last year but two were for TD's, and he ran the ball once on an end around for 31 yards and a TD. A TD every three touches shows his ability. He's as explosive as it gets.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
One more thing that we all need to remember:

You wanna play wideout for Saban, you better know how to block. The quickest way to get on the field is to do the little things and do them right.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.