What is Your Favorite Kind of Win?

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Honestly, my favorite games are the blowout wins. In particular the ones we keep them scoreless. It does add excitement of a "will they or won't they" score.

The close games like the '12 SECCG was exciting, but it made me so nervous throughout the whole game. I had to turn it off at the end and let my husband tell me what happened. Haha.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I'm with most of you. A dominating win over an opponent everyone thought was better or at least our equal gives me great satisfaction.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I will say that the close wins are the most exciting to go back and watch again. I have watched the LSU 2012 and the 2012 SECCG multiple times since they were played. I don't tend to watch the blowouts multiple times though.

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
My favorites are revenge games. Florida in 2009, the Barn in 2011, and LSU (v2) in 2011 are some of my absolute favorites. I love getting to see coach's masterful gameplans for those types of games, and the effort and intensity that our guys put into them.

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
take the title game vs ND and stamp that out 15 times this year and I'll be happy

Do not like what this does to the media and many fans alike. All the which NFL teams can we beat. It clutters up the process especially motivation of the team.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Chukker Veteran

There's nothing like a beat-down/blow-out over a bitter rival.
you don't really appreciate something that comes easy verses something you have to really stretch to get.

My favorite type win: We let a tough opponent hang around the first half, build up their hopes and expectations, then wipe the floor with them in the second half.

[/QUOTE]

Well said chukkerV

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Blowouts are the best. I hate the stress of a close game, especially in a rivalry.

But I do love the games like the 2009 SEC championship against Florida, or the 2001 Iron Bowl. They were close for a half, but Alabama clearly had things going in the right direction. Then, the second half begins and Alabama dominates for a beat down win.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
My favorite game was versus Cal in 1973 at Legion Field. They had Steve Bartkowski, Vince Ferragamo, and Chuck Muncie. We won 66-0. A lot of time for a H.S. Junior to flirt with coeds. :)

JF3

Scout Team
Jul 16, 2004
Phenix City, AL
I like a fourth quarter, make them quit, championship beat down. Something similiar to what we've done to Arkansas the last 2 years, but do it all in the fourth quarter. Domination and killer instinct on steroids.:):BigA:

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If the teams that I love are involved, I want the game to be a complete blowout, decided early and foot on the pedal all the way to the end. I want my defense to shut them out and my offense to score early and often. I can watch every snap of an Alabama or OSU blowout, enjoying the last snap as much as the first. If the game gets tight, I get stressed out. I remain positive even when my teams are down, but I find myself pacing and doing other things to ease my stress. Sure, the tight games result in a greater sense of euphoria if my teams win, but those highs come at a price.

If it is a game that does not involve my teams, I really don't care as long as the game remains close. I can enjoy offensive shootouts and defensive slug-fests equally as long as the plays are well executed, there aren't too many flags and the game remains competitive.
Do you have any family in Canada, B1G?

Cuz I suspect we might be related...

Hell, if we lived closer together, I'd prolly see you at the meetings after some o' those close games... :biggrin:

Last edited:

Maudiemae

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2003
West Palm Beach, Florida
It depends. Sometimes it's sweet to edge a really detestable rival out at the last (Cody/Viles...hahahahaha!). But I do enjoy the games where we thought we might have a tough contest---and then we wipe 'em all over the field.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Do not like what this does to the media and many fans alike. All the which NFL teams can we beat. It clutters up the process especially motivation of the team.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you don't really appreciate something that comes easy verses something you have to really stretch to get.

My favorite type win: We let a tough opponent hang around the first half, build up their hopes and expectations, then wipe the floor with them in the second half.
Well said chukkerV[/QUOTE]

Re your 1st point, Loyal, I have to agree. However, I feel that it falls to the players and coaching staff to ignore / look past / rise above all of that media noise...

I sure don't like complacency - whether it's being demonstrated by the players, or the fans. But, as you also suggest, my greater concern is the players...

As for your 2nd point, yeah, sure, as much as I like for us to be dominant, there is indeed something [tho not necessarily good for my stomach lining] to be said for the type of game you describe...

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
A little off-topic, but still...

When we are winning big, I find it easier to listen to the commentators on TV.

If we are in a tight game, I tend to gravitate to the homer announcer, Eli. I'll even put up with that aggravating time gap just to not have to listen to the announcer talking cheap shots at my team when they are in a bind.
[Along those lines, I used to really enjoy tuning in the Auburn network when we were beating them bigtime just to hear how upset the "Touchdown Auburn!" guy would get. After one game, Fyffe said "Oh no, here it comes..." I wondered for a second what he was talking about, but then the Million Dollar Band struck up "Rammer Jammer". :biggrin:]

Good grief, I goggled Fyffe to spell him name correctly, and saw that he died to 2003. It seems like just yesterday. My how time flies.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
A little off-topic, but still...

When we are winning big, I find it easier to listen to the commentators on TV.

If we are in a tight game, I tend to gravitate to the homer announcer, Eli. I'll even put up with that aggravating time gap just to not have to listen to the announcer talking cheap shots at my team when they are in a bind.
[Along those lines, I used to really enjoy tuning in the Auburn network when we were beating them bigtime just to hear how upset the "Touchdown Auburn!" guy would get. After one game, Fyffe said "Oh no, here it comes..." I wondered for a second what he was talking about, but then the Million Dollar Band struck up "Rammer Jammer". :biggrin:]

Good grief, I goggled Fyffe to spell him name correctly, and saw that he died to 2003. It seems like just yesterday. My how time flies.
I do the same. I have Eli on a backup plan for those tight games.

Bamagator

Scout Team
Jan 12, 2000
On the road, as an underdog, and we empty the stadium by about the middle of the third quarter.

Of course, the underdog part is hard to come by these days.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This kind of came up on another recent thread re the WVU game....The old saying a "win is a win" has a lot of merit, but what is your favorite kind of win against quality opponents? Is it a blowout, a breakout offensive or defensive performance, a track meet, or the another "The Kick" kind of finish like 1985? Without working my mind too much I will start with our BCSNCG win over LSU 21-0. I mean 21 is not a lot of points, but the game was over when we got our first 2-score lead. Also, I am a bit old school too and a defensive struggle game is my kind of football.
This is an easy question for me. I want a blowout from the get go so I can sit back, relax and watch the game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
My favorite game was versus Cal in 1973 at Legion Field. They had Steve Bartkowski, Vince Ferragamo, and Chuck Muncie. We won 66-0. A lot of time for a H.S. Junior to flirt with coeds. :)
Don't forget Wesley Walker.

"Wesley Darcel Walker (born May 26, 1955 in San Bernardino, California) is a former professional American football wide receiver for the New York Jets in 1977 - 1989.
Walker graduated from Carson High School in Carson, California where he set many receiving and return records, and was an All-American at the University of California."

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I agree blowouts are not what is necessarily good for the team. I don't enjoy the ones where we were obviously playing an opponent that had no business being on the same field. Again I like dominating wins over opponents that were at least supposedly evenly matched. That may not be good for the team either, but it is better for me :wink:

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I am kind of surprised at the majority liking blow outs the best. (Although my pick was a different kind of blowout). Games like Tennessee last year are relaxing and no stress at all. On the otherhand, the 2012 UGA SECG was a nerve racker. In all honesty, inspite of the STRESS the feeling after a game like UGA is better to me and a whole lot more exiting. JMHO but I wonder if the Aub game last year has "scared" us (me included) to the point of never wanting to be that stressed out again over a football game? At that time I was in that class...Never was I going to let football ruin my day/week/month/year again. But now as the 2014 season approaches, I'm right back where I was a year ago. Just dumb I guess.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.