What is Your Favorite Kind of Win?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
This kind of came up on another recent thread re the WVU game....The old saying a "win is a win" has a lot of merit, but what is your favorite kind of win against quality opponents? Is it a blowout, a breakout offensive or defensive performance, a track meet, or the another "The Kick" kind of finish like 1985? Without working my mind too much I will start with our BCSNCG win over LSU 21-0. I mean 21 is not a lot of points, but the game was over when we got our first 2-score lead. Also, I am a bit old school too and a defensive struggle game is my kind of football.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
My favorite kind of win is where we go ahead, pound em, then play lots of younger guys to give them game experience.

I've always believed in physical football. Shove it down their throats till they quit, then our younger guys take over and try to dominate. Guess I kind of enjoy games like our thrashing of ND.
(Takes hours to wind down from games where we dominate in every phase of the game.)

I'm ready for some football...

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I like a physical beatdown that leaves no questions as to who the best team was. 2008 Clemson, 2008 UGA, 2009 SECCG, 2011 (BCSNCG) and 2013 LSU games, and 2012 ND type of games. A whipping like that eliminates all they bad call, "we coulda, shoulda, woulda" crap. I like there to be no doubt in anybody's mind who was the best team.

Short of that, I much prefer a defensive slugfest than a track meet.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
I like a physical beatdown that leaves no questions as to who the best team was. 2008 Clemson, 2008 UGA, 2009 SECCG, 2011 (BCSNCG) and 2013 LSU games, and 2012 ND type of games. A whipping like that eliminates all they bad call, "we coulda, shoulda, woulda" crap. I like there to be no doubt in anybody's mind who was the best team.

Short of that, I much prefer a defensive slugfest than a track meet.
It is dependent upon who is the opponent. If Auburn or Oklahoma, I would much prefer a complete destruction, say 45-50 to 0. If Tennessee, I am torn between a total destruction and that last second win which is guaranteed to mess with their minds for years to come. Ultimately, any way to win is good.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
When I think of wins I'd love to see repeated over and over, Arkansas of 2012 and 2013 come to mind.

I don't like the stress of close games, I want it over before the 1st quarter ends.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Some good memorable ones:

Blowouts and Semi-blowouts

1980 Sugar Bowl Bama vs Arkansas (CPB vs Granny)
1993 Sugar Bowl Bama vs Miami (One of the greatest defensive clinics you'll ever see against a great offensive team)
Both 1999 games Bama vs Florida (Rebirth In the Swamp and the SEC title game)
2005 Bama vs Florida (Can't remember if we named this one or not -- maybe, Beatdown in T-Town?!)
2007 Bama vs UT (The beginning of the streak)
2008 Bama vs Clemson (The punch in the mouth game, Bama's opening call to the rest of CFB)
2008 Bama vs UGA (UGA missed the call and wore black to their own funeral)
2009 Bama vs Florida (SEC CG - Tebow Cried ... )
2011 #14Bama vs #8Michigan St (Consolation One Bowl -- No match for good old Southern boys)
2011 Bama vs Arkansas (Arky had a very good team and we still destroyed them)
2011 Bama vs Florida (gave up the fastest TD I've seen but came back to destroy the Gators in the swamp)
2011 Bama vs Auburn (Iron Bowl Destruction Pt I)
2012 Bama vs LSU (Jan 9 2nd greatest defensive clinic I've ever seen anywhere)
2012 Bama vs Auburn (Iron Bowl Destruction Pt II)
2013 Bama vs ND (Good old fashion revenge)
2013 Bama vs LSU (Good old fashion 2nd half beatdown - Mettenberger gets sacked 4 times to end the game)

the closer ones I love:

1979 Sugar Bowl Bama vs Penn St (Great game against a great and classy team)
1985 Opener Bama vs UGA (UGA blocked a punt for a TD to take the lead with 50 seconds left one the clock. Mike Shula led us right back down the field FTW)
1986 Bama vs ND (The greatest sack you may have ever witnessed -- though not quite that close in score)
2007 Bama vs Arkansas (the comeback, the catch, etc.)
2009 Bama vs LSU (the interception that wasn't)
2009 Bama vs UT (Rocky Block)
2009 Bama vs Auburn (the comeback)
2010 Bama vs Texas (closer than the score indicated) NC
2010 Bama vs Arkansas (we almost lost this one -- imagine that)
2012 Bama vs LSU (Rally in Death Valley)
2012 Bama vs UGA (SEC Title)
2013 Bama vs Texas A&M (49-42 we won a softball game basically)

Probably missing something but those are the wins I like ;)

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When I think of wins I'd love to see repeated over and over, Arkansas of 2012 and 2013 come to mind.

I don't like the stress of close games, I want it over before the 1st quarter ends.
I agree. The game is a lot more fun if it's well in hand. The BCSCG against ND was my kind of game.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Over by halftime will do. Whereby, when the reporter asks the opposing HC what can he do, the coach says that perhaps Bama won't come back out for the second half.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If the teams that I love are involved, I want the game to be a complete blowout, decided early and foot on the pedal all the way to the end. I want my defense to shut them out and my offense to score early and often. I can watch every snap of an Alabama or OSU blowout, enjoying the last snap as much as the first. If the game gets tight, I get stressed out. I remain positive even when my teams are down, but I find myself pacing and doing other things to ease my stress. Sure, the tight games result in a greater sense of euphoria if my teams win, but those highs come at a price.

If it is a game that does not involve my teams, I really don't care as long as the game remains close. I can enjoy offensive shootouts and defensive slug-fests equally as long as the plays are well executed, there aren't too many flags and the game remains competitive.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
There's nothing like a beat-down/blow-out over a bitter rival.

Human nature being what it is...we are basically fickle people...with game after game with never any question as to who will win...

The tight games decided in the fourth quarter seem to deliver more satisfaction for me when we come out on top. Maybe it's like the old saying...you don't really appreciate something that comes easy verses something you have to really stretch to get. Of course, the down side of tight games is you can never relax.

So here we are...so dominant that we are talking about a two-game season. Is that good or bad? I'll take it any day.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the road...if we are dominant and consistently blow out everybody it takes a little of the interest of watching the games out of the equation, but if we win close squeakers it can make it tougher to watch while it's going on.

My favorite type win: We let a tough opponent hang around the first half, build up their hopes and expectations, then wipe the floor with them in the second half.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
In order of preference: 1) the blowout win; 2) we-skunk-the-other-team win. I've come to the point in my life that the less stress, the better.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
In the interest of self-preservation I want the game to be over before it starts. Since that's not a viable option I must go for the next best thing. A score of 50 to nothing at halftime is about the best I can hope for. I was still worried, for instance, when we were up on Georgia by 31 in 2008. My pessimistic mind always thinks the worst is gonna happen. The other team could take the opening kickoff all the way back. And then they will only be down by 24!!! And so I start worrying about that. That's the way my mind works.

So for my heart's sake I want there to be such a wide gap in the score that it simply is not mathematically possible for the other team to win the game. I'm 38 years old, and I'm still waiting for that game to take place. :)

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
In the interest of self-preservation I want the game to be over before it starts. Since that's not a viable option I must go for the next best thing. A score of 50 to nothing at halftime is about the best I can hope for. I was still worried, for instance, when we were up on Georgia by 31 in 2008. My pessimistic mind always thinks the worst is gonna happen. The other team could take the opening kickoff all the way back. And then they will only be down by 24!!! And so I start worrying about that. That's the way my mind works.

So for my heart's sake I want there to be such a wide gap in the score that it simply is not mathematically possible for the other team to win the game. I'm 38 years old, and I'm still waiting for that game to take place. :)
Yeah, like the 2010 barn game. Bama left 18 points on the table in the first half. At worst, the score should have been 42-7 at halftime, and the game over.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.