Anecdotal Crimson Tide Fanaticism

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
1) My sister married an Auburn fan. They had a little girl who in just a few short weeks contracted spinal meningitis. To this day at the age of 16 she is wheelchair bound, can not talk (she can utter some sounds), walk, and will need constant attention for the rest of her life. But she learned to like Bama football at an early age. Her dad once bought her an Auburn shirt for Christmas. She cried and cried!

I couldn't be a more proud uncle. :)

2) My cousins no longer like to watch the game with me. I've told them I've mellowed out, but I don't think they believe me. I remember long ago watching a game with them. There was a particular play in which the ball went just off the tips of Shaun Alexander for what would've been a big gain, if not a touchdown. I went from sitting Indian-style on the floor into the air. I tore my shirt off, in mid-flight I recall, wadded up and threw it into the wall. I turned, wearing only my shorts, and looked at my cousin. He then turned to his own son...

"Son, that's what you don't wanna be when you grow up."

tmv85

All-SEC
Another one:

My daughters are in the back seat as we are driving down the road trying to get home. Lynyrd Skynyrd is playing "Sweet Home Alabama" and we're singing along. My oldest, right after the chorus gets through, says to me, "Daddy, who is singing this song?" I said, "Lynyrd Skynyrd, honey." She says, "Well, they're singing it wrong." I looked a little puzzled in the rear view mirror and said, "Dear, they wrote the song so they can't be singing it wrong." She responded and said with a very serious tone, "Daddy, they are messing up the chorus. EVERYBODY knows that it goes (singing now) 'Sweet Home, Alabama... ROLL TIDE, ROLL! Where the skies are so blue!'"

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
We saw Lynryd Skynyrd at Rock the South in Cullman this summer. When they did " Sweet Hime Alabama", Johnny actually cocked his ear waiting for he "ROLL TIDE ROLL". It was pretty cool.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I usually travel to the Montgomery area at least once a year during the season and almost always have occasion to watch one of our games with one of my brothers. He and his wife met at the University and married shortly after. They're in their fifties now. His wife can't watch the games because she gets so upset if anything goes wrong. She goes upstairs to watch regular tv and we have to update her every time something happens. Of course when she hears us yelling, she wants to know what happened. After the game she'll watch the rerun. My brother reads this forum so he'll recognize this story.
One other quick story, my other brother was holding my oldest daughter who was a about 2 (she is 35 now) at the time in his lap during a game. Alabama had an exciting play, my brother forgot all about her, he jumped up to scream and my daughter went flying across the room. Fortunately she was ok. Roll Tide.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I don't mind, and actually prefer watching a game alone. Even when it's just a few people watching, somebody will decide to engage me in a conversation just when I'm most trying to hear what's being said on TV.
I also enjoy watching the game alone. With an Aggie son I could never watch a Bama vs ATM game with him. Two years ago he told me that the the Aggies would win. I just couldn't believe what happened! It took a year to get over it!

Each day day when I go online for sports news, I first go to ESPN.com, then to al.com. Then, I go to TideFans to get the real news.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
When my daughter was 3, I taught her to say the following responses:

Me: "Hey Chelsea, what's Tennessee? "
Chelsea: "Hillbillyville!!"

Me: "Hey, Chelsea, what do auburn fans say?"
Chelsea: "Moooooooo!"

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I don't mind, and actually prefer watching a game alone. Even when it's just a few people watching, somebody will decide to engage me in a conversation just when I'm most trying to hear what's being said on TV.
I absolutely can not stand that!!!!! Do NOT try to engage me in conversation during a Bama game.
It can lead to serious injury to the ego :)

p'colabamaman

All-SEC
Sep 16, 2008
Pace, FL.
My wife still says I kicked our dog one year when Bama was having a bad game. Well, he shouldn't have been wagging his tail and acting all happy and should have known that I was in a bad mood.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
I also enjoy watching a game alone or with my wife who is a huge fan. The absolute worst thing that can happen is to be forced to watching the Alabama / Auburn game with anyone that's an Aubie fan, even if it's family.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
1) My sister married an Auburn fan. They had a little girl who in just a few short weeks contracted spinal meningitis. To this day at the age of 16 she is wheelchair bound, can not talk (she can utter some sounds), walk, and will need constant attention for the rest of her life. But she learned to like Bama football at an early age. Her dad once bought her an Auburn shirt for Christmas. She cried and cried!

I couldn't be a more proud uncle. :)

2) My cousins no longer like to watch the game with me. I've told them I've mellowed out, but I don't think they believe me. I remember long ago watching a game with them. There was a particular play in which the ball went just off the tips of Shaun Alexander for what would've been a big gain, if not a touchdown. I went from sitting Indian-style on the floor into the air. I tore my shirt off, in mid-flight I recall, wadded up and threw it into the wall. I turned, wearing only my shorts, and looked at my cousin. He then turned to his own son...

"Son, that's what you don't wanna be when you grow up."
99 Tennessee game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking of which, I'm watching the 2008 SECCG right now and we should have won this game. I was at national guard drill throughout most of the game and made it home in time to see Florida take over in the fourth when we should have. You saw though then the changing of the guard.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
What other rivalry features a guy who poisons and kills one rivals' time honored tradition; makes national news for it; faces federal charges because of fanaticism-gone-wild; a few years later, is going to be in a dunking booth at a fundraiser/carnival, so those same rivals can unleash some angst on him; but the event gets cancelled because the rivals issued death threats against a former BAMA player and his family via social media.

You cannot make this stuff up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I will probably get in trouble for this. For the majority of my life, The Bama Nation was always known as a very classy fan base. All our rivals could ever say were stereotypical ignorant comments. I remember intersectional games with other schools that left their fan bases impressed with how Tide fans conducted themselves. I have never been to a game that rival fans were not invited to our tailgate for food, football and spirits.
However, I am no saint. I have , in good nature taunted and ribbed fans of our rivals, yelled at the TV, refused to wear certain colors or say certain things , even thrown things in frustration in my own home(never at anyone or caused damage

In the last few years , the actions of a few have left me embarrassed for them, and saddened for the rest of us. Their actions have not only brought ridicule to a great group of people, but reinforced some of the aforementioned stereotypes. With the advent of the Finebaum show on SECN, some of the stereotypes have been advanced. I love all of my Bama fan brethren , I have always claimed even the Lunatic fringe, the ignorant and the boisterous . But, I think it is time we reclaimed our place in football society to accompany the level our coaches and players have achieved on the field.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Also, when I'm around my friends that enjoy football, or coworkers and acquaintances that follow the game, I regularly see a difference in our level of information and knowledge. It's common that I tell fans of other teams/schools more about their roster/schemes/recruiting than they know.

Anyone else experience this?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't wear orange. Ever. I barely let my sons.
True story. I had a orange shirt that I would often wear with a blue suit and an orange and blue tie. I never wore it during football season, but anytime I did some wise crack would say something about me switching over to Auburn.

I gave the tie to an Auburn friend when he helped me with a favor and I haven't worn the orange shirt since.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
January 1980, I-40 at the Fayetteville exit ( Bama defeated Ark. handily in the Sugar Bowl). I stop for gas & as I'm paying my 17 month old son toddles in, throws both arms up in the air & yells "Roll Tide" at the top of his little lungs. At the moment, I am standing in a gas station covered in Arkansas memorabilia, not to mention a gentleman behind the counter who is twice my size. Before I can deny all knowledge of the kid the man starts laughing & says "well, at least he knows how to pick a winner". It made a great story at my sons' wedding.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Also, when I'm around my friends that enjoy football, or coworkers and acquaintances that follow the game, I regularly see a difference in our level of information and knowledge. It's common that I tell fans of other teams/schools more about their roster/schemes/recruiting than they know.

Anyone else experience this?
Yes. Although at work we have a pretty good mix of knowledgeable Bama, Dawg,Barn and Vile fans. The non Bama fans usually stick together against the Bama fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk yuuyyyy

Lil Bama Lady

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 31, 2006
Heflin, Alabama, United States
My mother is the reason that I am a Bama fan. She LOVED Joe Namath, would have REALLY loved him, if she could have gotten within arms reach.......but I digress.

Anyway, she and I were watching the AL-Penn State Sugar Bowl game (we all know the one) and I was 8 years old at the time. She and I were huddled up together on the couch when Bama made the now infamous Goal Line Stand, my mother pops up off the couch like a spring, screaming loudly, arms flailing wildly about. At the same time, I jumped to my feet screaming and jumping and somehow, her left elbow made strong contact with my mouth and busted my lip. I remember very distinctly, the apprehension of the play, the joy of the stop, the sharp feeling of pain, the taste of blood in my mouth, the realization what had happened and the laughing and celebrating........Ahhh good times!!

Also, during the now infamous Rocky Stop play that involved Roman Harper and Arian Foster during the AL-TN game in 05. We had turned the ball over 3 or 4 times and they were taking it right down the field on our D. I couldn't watch the Viles score that TD! I just couldn't do it, so I shut off the TV and went outside (I was the only one home-no one would watch the games with me anymore at that point) to stomp around in my yard, mutter cuss words and was SO mad that I HAD to kick a tree resulting in searing pain (later a broken pinkie toe was found to be the cause.) I limped back inside and turned on the TV only to find the score was STILL THE SAME! I had to wait till the replay to see what had happened. When the replay came, I was jumping up and down on my couch and screaming (in joy AND in pain!) Next thing I know, Brodie hit D.J. Hall for a 40 something yard completion and Jamie Christensen kicked the winning FG.
Game over!!
6-3 Bama.
I ran (limped quickly) out of my front door and ran awkwardly around my yard screaming to NO ONE in particular as loud as I could the Rammer Jammer cheer. Thank God I lived in the country at that time and had no neighbors close by, but I bet I scared the crap out of a few rabbits!!

Is it Saturday yet??!!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.