Anecdotal Crimson Tide Fanaticism

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
This is a thread that I've thought about starting for a while because it's a subject that I think about from time to time. The subject is being a fan, not just of Alabama, but of football and sports in general.

One of the reasons I enjoy TF so much is that because when I come here I'm surrounded by people that enjoy and follow football as closely as I do. We aren't normal. There are Alabama fans, diehard fans, and then there's those of us on this board.

When I talk to my friends about football... they're just not on my level...as bad as that sounds. They have so much misinformation and really poorly formed opinions. It can be funny sometimes.

I thought perhaps this could be a thread where we share some of those anecdotes.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with these sentiments entirely; I look forward everyday to getting on here. Can't think of any anecdotes right now, but will say that there some extremely funny posters on Tidefans.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
In 2009, on an SEC board, a delusional UF fan picked UF to win the SECCG 39 to something. I told him that UF wouldn't score 39 points on Bama if they played 3 times. My pick was 31-13.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
This one has to do more with a former Bama player, Joe Namath. And a big ut fan, my Brother-in-law.

On the evening of 11/16/1968, I was at my Brother-in-law's home watching the Bama at Miami game. During the game, my Brother-in-law asked me what interesting pro games were on the next day. I, being a Jets fan, immediately said the Jets and Raiders. He, being a Colts fan, gave me a big LOL and said he was talking about real pro teams in the NFL, not wannabe's in the AFL.

In the early evening the next day, with the Jets leading by 3 with 65 seconds left in the game, NBC switched their telecast to the movie 'Heidi' and the New York Jets at the Oakland Raiders on 11/17/1968 became the most famous regular season professional football game ever played. I reminded my Brother-in-law many times over the years of his LOL and remarks. Especially the next season when Joe and the Jets beat his Colts in the Super Bowl. :biggrin: Wannabe AFL team, remember?

Edit: Watched the Jets and Colts at his home also. :biggrin: Where else would I have been? Joe had guaranteed the win! :biggrin:

Last edited:

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
At the 2009 LSU game, the Million Dollar Band had just marched in to BDS, and we were playing Yea Alabama. On the other side of the fence that we were standing on, there were some LSU fans who naturally had to shout "Tigah Bait" at us the whole time. So, when we turned around to play to the home side, I proceeded to position my trumpet about an inch from the guy's left ear (he was looking the other way), and played the loudest Yea Alabama I've ever played.

At the first note, he jumped, shouted, covered his ears, and left the fence immediately. Probably had to check his pants :biggrin:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I was talking with a young Soldier of mine who is from Tuscaloosa and is a Tide fan. We discussed how excited we were for this season and I said, "It'll be interesting to see who becomes our QB." There was a brief pause and he said, "Who do we have right now?" I smiled and explained our depth chart, Sims vs Coker, and so on. But I died a little on the inside. A Bama fan that doesn't even know who we have at the quarterback position...am I weird to know all the names and who we are recruiting?

I love this board as well. I believe for the most part we are logical.

No one on this board believed me when I said we would dominate ND like we did Michigan in the BCSCG though. lol

See we aren't perfect.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I was talking with a young Soldier of mine who is from Tuscaloosa and is a Tide fan. We discussed how excited we were for this season and I said, "It'll be interesting to see who becomes our QB." There was a brief pause and he said, "Who do we have right now?" I smiled and explained our depth chart, Sims vs Coker, and so on. But I died a little on the inside. A Bama fan that doesn't even know who we have at the quarterback position...am I weird to know all the names and who we are recruiting?
No, some folks are just more into something else. My Brother-in-law, for example, although a big ut and football fan, was more into golf, which is why he had to ask me about the pro games on TV. If we had been talking about the final round of professional golf the next day he could have given me the complete rundown of the leader board.

Which reminds me of another big LOL that I got one time when asked a football question by him. One that I have already related in another thread, but bears repeating here.

He asked me about $cam in the 2010 season when the news broke concerning $cam and MSU. I explained about $cam being at UF originally and told him that $cam was better than Tebow ever dreamed of being. That got a big LOL from him because at the time every other story on ESPN was still about Tebow, and the barn was just beginning to turn $cam loose.

Edit: He apologized for that LOL, and said I had been right about $cam and Tebow, before he died early this year. I am going to miss that guy this football season if I don't die before it gets here. Are we there yet!?

Last edited:

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
In 2007 my daughter was 4. I had her in pre-K at a Montessori School here in Memphis, and she got a note sent home stating that Friday was going to be "wear orange for autumn day." The thought of my beautiful child in orange on any day is bad enough, but that particular Friday was the third Friday in October... We had Tennessee the next Day. I sent her to school with a note. It read: "Jessica won't be wearing orange Friday. Everybody knows Crimson leaves are prettier anyway. Roll Tide."

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I love this board as well. I believe for the most part we are logical.

No one on this board believed me when I said we would dominate ND like we did Michigan in the BCSCG though. lol

See we aren't perfect.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
I picked both of those games 41-14. I missed on ND!

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I go back and forth about the value of the info I can pick up on these type discussion boards. I know some websites are bad to put up inaccurate info. Tidefans is good in that regard because the inside info you can pick up (or infer) here is more often based on a true foundation, not just made up.

But that brings me to my quandary...I can't help being curious about the details of every aspect of the team and I always want to understand the bottom line. But sometimes when you do get the unvarnished story you can find out something you might have rather not known. I could be specific but out of sympathy for the poor dead horse I'll leave it in general terms. :)

Here's an example, made up to make the point...

Two players have a fight, and the general public doesn't understand why the specific punishment was handed out. One player was punished much more harshly than the other, even though the one that threw the first punch got off easy. Everybody scratches their heads wondering "what in the world?"

Insiders know that the guy who got punched was slipping around with the other player's girlfriend, and bragging about it to other team members. So he had it coming...the punishment was correct. But in this situation, I'm not sure it's a good thing that every detail would come out.

Sure, that's a silly example, but sometimes I think too much inside info can be a double-edged knife...it can cut two ways.
Kind of like the overweight guy who can't stop eating ice cream. Or someone with a squeamish stomach riding by a train wreck...they know not to look but they can't help themselves.

I want all the info I can get about the team, although I understand knowing the details might not always please me.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
When my oldest daughter was 2 and in preschool the teacher was going around and asking the children what particular animals say. "What does the dog say?" "RUFF", said one kid. "What does the cat say?" "Meow", said another. It got to my daughter and the teacher, without knowing anything about my family, asked her, "What does the elephant say?" Apparently my daughter didn't miss a beat and said, "ROLL TIDE!"

That's parenting done right, folks!:biggrin:

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Another one:

My daughters are in the back seat as we are driving down the road trying to get home. Lynyrd Skynyrd is playing "Sweet Home Alabama" and we're singing along. My oldest, right after the chorus gets through, says to me, "Daddy, who is singing this song?" I said, "Lynyrd Skynyrd, honey." She says, "Well, they're singing it wrong." I looked a little puzzled in the rear view mirror and said, "Dear, they wrote the song so they can't be singing it wrong." She responded and said with a very serious tone, "Daddy, they are messing up the chorus. EVERYBODY knows that it goes (singing now) 'Sweet Home, Alabama... ROLL TIDE, ROLL! Where the skies are so blue!'"

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Nothing specific, but I do enjoy the fact that you never hear anything on the local news that you couldn't have known first on TideFans.

And any fan that doesn't know general sports forum information about their team I question their fandom. What are they doing all day, working?

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
When my middle daughter was small she would mix up peek-a-boo and the phrase "Boo Auburn." When someone said "Boo Auburn," she would automatically put both hands over her eyes and then pull them away as if playing peek-a-boo.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This is a thread that I've thought about starting for a while because it's a subject that I think about from time to time. The subject is being a fan, not just of Alabama, but of football and sports in general.

One of the reasons I enjoy TF so much is that because when I come here I'm surrounded by people that enjoy and follow football as closely as I do. We aren't normal. There are Alabama fans, diehard fans, and then there's those of us on this board.

When I talk to my friends about football... they're just not on my level...as bad as that sounds. They have so much misinformation and really poorly formed opinions. It can be funny sometimes.

I thought perhaps this could be a thread where we share some of those anecdotes.
Nolan, I absolutely agree--We aren't normal! Lol...Those of us that come here eat, drink, and sleep Alabama football 365/24/7 and are obsessed with it. We take it very seriously, more so than the average sidewalk fan. Like Graytide said earlier, I too really look forward to coming here every day and thoroughly enjoy the posts here on the football board. There really is no better college football message board out there, and I've been on quite a few of them.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've been a Bama fan since I was about 5 or 6 some 50+ years ago. My enthusiasm made my parents and younger siblings become fans as well and I went on to graduate from the University as did one of my sisters.

However, it wasn't all rosy with the family because I could get very agitated if things weren't going well, (I've since mellowed somewhat). During the 1970 Alabama vs Ole Miss game, which we lost badly, Ole Miss ran a kickoff back for a touchdown. That elicited a loud curse and a slam on the arm of the chair I was sitting in and breaking it off. The chair was an expensive antique my mother had recently bought. Needless to say my dad ran me out of the house and banned me from watching ANY Alabama games in HIS house until I could control myself. From then on I had to watch games somewhere else.

My sisters follow Alabama football and most of my communications from them relate to questions about the team, usually because they want to know how to factually respond to an opposing fan. I get calls or emails from them at odd times just for that purpose. However, to this day they will not watch a game with me, (even though I've mellowed).

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
. However, to this day they will not watch a game with me, (even though I've mellowed).
I don't mind, and actually prefer watching a game alone. Even when it's just a few people watching, somebody will decide to engage me in a conversation just when I'm most trying to hear what's being said on TV.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.