Ice Bucket Challenge Goes Awry For Kentucky Firefighters

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ket-challenge-kentucky-firefighters/14431171/

Four firefighters in Kentucky were injured Thursday while attempting to spray college students with water for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

The firetruck's aerial ladder came too close to a main power line at Campbellsville University. The ladder did not hit the line, but energy from the line struck two of the firefighters who were in the bucket, said Campbellsville Police Chief Tim Hazlette.

Police said Capt. Tony Grider, 41, and Simon A. Quinn, 22, were airlifted to University of Louisville Hospital.

Grider, a 16-year veteran of the department, was listed in critical condition, and Quinn, a part-time firefighter, was upgraded from serious to fair condition. Both are being treated at the University of Louisville Medical Center Burn Unit.

Also injured were Capt. Steve Marrs, 37, who has been with the department for 11 years, and Alex Johnson, 28, who has been there three years.

No students were harmed.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Saw a video of a kid who was having water dumped on him from the top of some bleachers, but the water missed and splashed all over the ground in front of him. The kid yelled up 'YOU [EXPLETIVE] MISSED, MEGAN!' right before the bucket came down right on his head.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Its good with all the additional contributions ALS has received from these but I'm past tired of seeing it.
yeah, but the bucket stuff is just getting silly. its nothing but one upping now.

like all of this stuff, it will flame out in 15 minutes when the next viral thing comes along.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
yeah, but the bucket stuff is just getting silly. its nothing but one upping now.

like all of this stuff, it will flame out in 15 minutes when the next viral thing comes along.
Doesn't matter - as of today the ALSA has raised over $53 million in three weeks (over $30 million in the last three days alone) - as compared to approximately $2.1 million this time last year.

I don't care if people take advantage of this or not, people are aware and are giving - as someone with a close friend suffering from this, that's all that matters.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Doesn't matter - as of today the ALSA has raised over $53 million in three weeks (over $30 million in the last three days alone) - as compared to approximately $2.1 million this time last year.

I don't care if people take advantage of this or not, people are aware and are giving - as someone with a close friend suffering from this, that's all that matters.
Not sure if its true but I read an article that said only about 10% of the money raised for ALSA actually goes to research. There is so much embezzlement with a lot of these charities. Have to be careful. Not saying that is what's happening here but makes you wonder what they are doing with all the extra money.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Not sure if its true but I read an article that said only about 10% of the money raised for ALSA actually goes to research. There is so much embezzlement with a lot of these charities. Have to be careful. Not saying that is what's happening here but makes you wonder what they are doing with all the extra money.
On average, 46% goes to research or directly helping families with ALS, but that with normal annual income of $26 million.

This will allow them great latitude wrt helping families directly and investing in research.

Only 7% goes to administration, which is a pretty small percentage compared to most.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
On average, 46% goes to research or directly helping families with ALS, but that with normal annual income of $26 million.

This will allow them great latitude wrt helping families directly and investing in research.

Only 7% goes to administration, which is a pretty small percentage compared to most.
Ah ok. Guess that article I read was wrong or I misread it.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Ah ok. Guess that article I read was wrong or I misread it.
They also spend a sizable amount trying to educate people.

The problem with ALS is while it's a horrible disease - attacking the physical body while leaving the mind completely intact - it's pretty rare. I think something like 30k people in the US have it, so it's not something drug companies are sinking a lot of money into to search for treatments or maybe a cure. Raising awareness might be more valuable in the long term than money spent on research now, as most drug companies spend 20+times what the ALSA has raised so far to bring a drug to the first round of trials...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i know how much $ they have gotten and i'm glad about that and the extra awareness. my ex sis in law passed from als this year in her late 30s, its a horrific disease. i just think this has gotten downright silly. a week ago, i hadn't heard of this at all, now, its every where i look.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Its the latest internet fad like planking, setting yourself on fire etc. At least something good is coming out of this one.
I liked planking. Owling not so much. Leisure diving was awesome, and Bradying was the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.