Look for ethanol percentages to be increased in gasoline - too much corn

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
The whole ethanol idea IMHO, is crazy. It essentially takes more energy to produce it, than it provides. It taps into our food sources which eventually will come back to bite us. The gasoline goes bad faster, at least on a carbureted car ...I used to go work on cars that had been sitting for a couple of years. I'd find the problem, then fire it up, and usually the thing would run on the gas that had been sitting in the tank (although it would smell rank).... Now, you let one sit 6 months to a year, and there's a good probability that your gonna have to pull the carb and clean it and drain the tank. My buddy has 6 older 70's trucks that do a lot of sitting. Even using Sta-bil in the gas, he's constantly re-working the fuel systems. He could let them sit for long periods of time when the fuel you bought was predominately ethanol free (although, yes E free gas will go bad too...just takes a lot longer). My motorcycle runs better and gets better MPG with non Ethanol gas as well. I fear that eventually you wont be able to buy E free gas. For me, it's worth the extra $ for E free fuel in my older vehicles.

IMHO, ethanol is for drinking, not as a cutting agent to make the oil companies crude go further.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
it also contributes to the huge algae blooms in the gulf which kills enormous amounts of wildlife. but leave it up to the environazis to care more about a stupid idea than the damage it causes.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
it also contributes to the huge algae blooms in the gulf which kills enormous amounts of wildlife. but leave it up to the environazis to care more about a stupid idea than the damage it causes.
This is far from the enviro nazis. This is the corn lobby. Most true tree hugging enviro people gave up on ethanol after all of the crap that danb listed came to light, and I'm not even really sure if when it was originally pushed it wasn't just the big business of the corn lobby putting on hippy clothes to try and sell ethanol.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It ruins small engines like chainsaws even quicker. A friend is the chief CFO for the largest oil distributor in the area. He explained the problem to me for the large companies. They have a certain % which they must sell of E gas. It's just not economical to sell a small amount of E-free. We still have a few stations around here. Unfortunately, the one closest to me has water in that tank. They're not taking care of it. Every storage tank sweats. The first thing in the morning is to drain off the water. Another friend grew up with a dad who had a service station. His job every AM was to go out and drain off the water. I recently bought a new generator. I converted it to propane, but I was supposed to run it several hours on gas first. I used E-free from that closest station which had E-free. When I cranked it up, it would run for several minutes and rev down almost to stopping, then it'd pick back up and go to normal RPM. I got the local service guy from Westinghouse and called, giving him the symptoms. He just said that I had water in my gas. I went ahead with the conversion. It ran perfectly on propane. BTW, the friend who used to drain the water says that he never buys gas before noon. They say that you don't get as much firepower because of expansion, particularly with temps like lately, but it's probably worth it to stay away from some water. The corn lobby has been pushing for 15% ethanol, but the car company lobbyists have been pushing back equally hard...

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
I don't even clean my carburetors on my small engine items I have it is cheaper just to buy another one and replace it. Here lately I got the solution that will clean the carburetors and then I have a spare. Ethanol sucks.

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
Berryman's dip. You can get it at wal-mart. I will say it won't clean everything but most.
yep... the Berryman's Chem Dip used to be the pinnacle of solvents to clean a carb. It's still the best on the market but, the EPA has cracked down and it's not near as good as it was in the 90's. I used to keep 5 gallons (it was sold in 6 gallon metal buckets with a metal parts dip tray)...... you get that stuff on your hands, and you'd smell it for 2-3 days.... but it would do the job...... now most stuff they sell is an absolute joke for carb cleaning.....it'll work, but not good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.