Georgia Dome Questions for those who have been

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Hey Folks! Heading to the Georgia Dome for the first time! I'm needing to know a couple of things.
1) Where to park- Any other time I have come to Atlanta I've been on a charter bus full of students and never had to worry about it. Never had the opportunity to go to the Georgia Dome. Just need some friendly advice on parking. Is there a shuttle or what?

2) When to get there- If I'm in TTown I know what time to be there. Is there tailgating? If so, where? I've got a WVU friend with me and I would love for him to get a little bit of a taste of what it is like at a Bama game.

Thanks in advance!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Hey Folks! Heading to the Georgia Dome for the first time! I'm needing to know a couple of things.
1) Where to park- Any other time I have come to Atlanta I've been on a charter bus full of students and never had to worry about it. Never had the opportunity to go to the Georgia Dome. Just need some friendly advice on parking. Is there a shuttle or what?

2) When to get there- If I'm in TTown I know what time to be there. Is there tailgating? If so, where? I've got a WVU friend with me and I would love for him to get a little bit of a taste of what it is like at a Bama game.

Thanks in advance!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
if you are driving in from 'bama the day of the game, marta is a good option. you can park at hamilton e holmes station (end of the line on the west line). its easy to get to off of I-20 and there is free parking. the dome station is 4 stops in, and you can actually get off at vine city station which is one stop sooner and is across the street from the dome

http://www.itsmarta.com/rail-schedules-or-route.aspx

i know in the past, lots of folks have stayed friday night in the hotels near six flags and then used the train to get to the game. it helps avoid a lot of the in town congestion

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
if you are driving in from 'bama the day of the game, marta is a good option. you can park at hamilton e holmes station (end of the line on the west line). its easy to get to off of I-20 and there is free parking. the dome station is 4 stops in, and you can actually get off at vine city station which is one stop sooner and is across the street from the dome

i know in the past, lots of folks have stayed friday night in the hotels near six flags and then used the train to get to the game. it helps avoid a lot of the in town congestion
Most helpful! Thanks! We will be coming from Huntsville, but we'll make our way down to I-20.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN

I made the mistake last year of coming from the Marta station at Perimeter Mall north of town. It seemed as if 90% of the crowd riding Marta was heading in that direction after the game. Had to get on a southbound train to the next station and boarded an empty northbound train to get back to Sandy Springs. Hardly anyone was getting on the train at Vine City heading back west. That would seem to be the best option.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I made the mistake last year of coming from the Marta station at Perimeter Mall north of town. It seemed as if 90% of the crowd riding Marta was heading in that direction after the game. Had to get on a southbound train to the next station and boarded an empty northbound train to get back to Sandy Springs. Hardly anyone was getting on the train at Vine City heading back west. That would seem to be the best option.
yeah, i would never go northbound after an event, its a madhouse.

i live off the south line and we always walk south from the dome for one station and grab a southbound train and its always been easy.

rolltidega73

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 5, 2003
Hiram. GA USA
Your best bet is to ride Marta. We off 20 West and we go to the Hamilton E Holmes exit and ride Marta instead of dealing with Atlanta traffic.

Thanks in advance!

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
I have always used Marta from 20 west as well. After the game it always requires patience. But the option of driving to that stadium is not one I ever considered. Maybe some others have done it and can tell you. But Marta is way to go. Drops you off right at the stadium.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO

I second this completely. Did this last year for the VT game.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
You guys are going to have to quit telling people to use the Holmes station stop on Marta or there will be no parking spots when we get there. Send them to College Park or some other station on the southern end of town. :wink:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You guys are going to have to quit telling people to use the Holmes station stop on Marta or there will be no parking spots when we get there. Send them to College Park or some other station on the southern end of town. :wink:
eeew, that's the station the barners use

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I just attended an event at the dome last month and the only advice that I would give is If you use MARTA(Which I would highly recommend), enter and exit the dome from the VINE CITY station instead of the Georgia Dome station.

Last edited:

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
We always park at or around the dome. There are tons of parking decks that are not expensive. There is a huge parking deck at the Dome. I always love watching everyone pile in at Marta, meanwhile trafffic getting out of the dome parking lot and surrounding areas is about 1/4 as bad as leaving Tuscaloosa after a game.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Both times I've been (Clemson and VT) I parked at the Hamilton E. Holmes MARTA station (since I live West of Atlanta) and rode the MARTA straight do the dome. Never had a problem and it's easy and simple. The only downfall is the mad rush to the trains after the game but if it goes to plan most of the WVU fans will be gone anyways.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Last year I parked at the Dunwoody Marta station north of Atlanta. No problem getting to the dome, but the return was a bit of a hassle. We had been warned to chill out in the dome for a while after the game ended to avoid the mad rush to Marta. This worked OK... But not being familiar with Marta, we couldn't determine if we were on a northbound train headed for Dunwoody or the one that goes to Doraville. We guessed... and guessed right. I'm going to the game again this year and plan to park at Doraville. (I'm staying NE of Atlanta...)

This year I'll be more attentive as to how to recognize which train is going to Doraville vs. the other northbound train... Color-coded I believe... but I had a hard time determining which "color" the actual train was. Markings in Atlanta are IMO nowhere near as good as the DC Metro.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Last year I parked at the Dunwoody Marta station north of Atlanta. No problem getting to the dome, but the return was a bit of a hassle. We had been warned to chill out in the dome for a while after the game ended to avoid the mad rush to Marta. This worked OK... But not being familiar with Marta, we couldn't determine if we were on a northbound train headed for Dunwoody or the one that goes to Doraville. We guessed... and guessed right. I'm going to the game again this year and plan to park at Doraville. (I'm staying NE of Atlanta...)

This year I'll be more attentive as to how to recognize which train is going to Doraville vs. the other northbound train... Color-coded I believe... but I had a hard time determining which "color" the actual train was. Markings in Atlanta are IMO nowhere near as good as the DC Metro.
usually, the digital sign on the approaching train will say "doraville" or "north springs" (dunwoody is on ns line). there is also usually a sign on the side of the train and on the signs inside, but they can be hard to see when it is crowded. worst case, grab the first northbound train then when you get to lindbergh station (where the lines split), they will tell you which train you are on and if needed, you can get off and grab the next train through.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I have PMd one of our ATL members, but please chime in if you can help: My boys and I will be coming in from Columbus (from the south on I-85). I don't do MARTA a lot so I am unfamiliar with its routes. Would you recommend parking and getting on at either the Airport or the College Park station (suggestion on which one?) and then exiting at the Garnett station and walking from there - rather than going all the way to the Five Point station, switching trains, then heading west for just one or two stops?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.