Blake Sims - All of his plays

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Bolded: It probably all hangs on how Blake Sims is doing. If we are winning comfortably and he's not turning the ball over, it might be hard to make a change.

However, the problem is what if Blake Sims struggles, Coker gets in and struggles too??? Who do we go with? Senior or guy with more eligibility and higher ceiling?
If they both struggle I'd go with Bateman in a heartbeat and wouldn't think twice about it.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
However, the problem is what if Blake Sims struggles, Coker gets in and struggles too??? Who do we go with? Senior or guy with more eligibility and higher ceiling?
Honestly, I don't think you can pull Sims if he struggles. The coach has to sell out to his starter. Otherwise, the QB is going to be scared of making a mistake and play tight. You have to allow him to make a mistake without fear of losing his job.
Think South Carolina 2008 when Spurrier never really decided between Smelley and Garcia. He just played whoever was hot. Neither got in a rhythm and they both played tight all year. They went 7-6. Both Smelley and Garcia had their worst statistical seasons.
I think Florida in 2006 is what you need to do if you have 2 capable starters - have them each play a specific role. Chris Leak never feared losing his job. But Tim Tebow had a special role on the team that he filled.

We either sell out to one QB, or we give them both special roles. But, I think, barring a complete fall out, you pick a QB to start and you ride him to the end.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Honestly, I don't think you can pull Sims if he struggles. The coach has to sell out to his starter. Otherwise, the QB is going to be scared of making a mistake and play tight. You have to allow him to make a mistake without fear of losing his job.
Think South Carolina 2008 when Spurrier never really decided between Smelley and Garcia. He just played whoever was hot. Neither got in a rhythm and they both played tight all year. They went 7-6. Both Smelley and Garcia had their worst statistical seasons.
I think Florida in 2006 is what you need to do if you have 2 capable starters - have them each play a specific role. Chris Leak never feared losing his job. But Tim Tebow had a special role on the team that he filled.

We either sell out to one QB, or we give them both special roles. But, I think, barring a complete fall out, you pick a QB to start and you ride him to the end.
That sounds great until the starter throws 2 ints in a game....do you continue to go with the guy that you are afraid to let pass or do you give someone else a chance?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Too early for this mess. We don't know what they're capable of doing until this weekend. Remember AJ McCarron threw two ints in a game before and didn't get yanked. We should probably know who's the starter sometime tomorrow or Thursdsay. Coach is going to go with who he feel is the best.. and in the end, we have a starting quarterback... but we just don't know who, and when. This is pretty much beating a dead horse over and over, not realizing he's dead.
That sounds great until the starter throws 2 ints in a game....do you continue to go with the guy that you are afraid to let pass or do you give someone else a chance?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Too early for this mess. We don't know what they're capable of doing until this weekend. Remember AJ McCarron threw two ints in a game before and didn't get yanked. We should probably know who's the starter sometime tomorrow or Thursdsay. Coach is going to go with who he feel is the best.. and in the end, we have a starting quarterback... but we just don't know who, and when. This is pretty much beating a dead horse over and over, not realizing he's dead.
Apples to oranges on AJ...he did that after he was a successful starter, not when he was trying out for the job the first couple of games in 2011.

We are just talking about realistic, potential qb issues that some are intersting in talking about on a forum that does what we are doing, which is sharing viewpoints.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
There's a fine line. In any leadership role, you have to allow your people to make mistakes and not fear for their job. But, they also have to know that there is a point at which they could lose their job.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
There's a fine line. In any leadership role, you have to allow your people to make mistakes and not fear for their job. But, they also have to know that there is a point at which they could lose their job.
I agree. I'm not saying I know when that line might be crossed, but I don't think CNS would risk losing a game just to stroke a struggling qbs confidence.

Not directed at you GD, but it's whistling past the grave yard, so to speak, if we think that any of these guys won't struggle to some extent the first game or two. Now to what extent they struggle, how long of a leash they are given to mess up without getting pulled, who's second or third in line, etc. is anybody's guess.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.