Blake Sims - All of his plays

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This really highlights what Blake can do for us with the safe short passes in the flats(Many to Chris Black shown)and short slants to WR's and TE's. He obviously can make plays with his legs as well.

I'm warming up to the idea of him starting but his sidearm delivery still bothers me because it could cause a few tip pass up for grab INT's. We also won't have a deep pass game at all. We can win that way but it really is handicapping the offense and underutilizing our WR's. You also saw a lot of errant incompletions where he wasn't close.

I just want the best option to start either way and if that's Sims I will cheer for him like crazy to succeed. Here's hoping his intermediate passing range has improved from what we've seen so far.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I don't think he's ever thrown a pass past 10 yards in live action. If he's mediocre with the long ball we could be okay.

I'm curious how many first team reps he's gotten this year vs the previous 2.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I like Blake. I worry about his ability to lead a comeback via the pass. Play action and slants are great unless you are behind by a touchdown or two.

This is what concerns me too. But I don't know if Coker could do it.

We were spoiled with how poised AJ was in those situations.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Blake will be able to hit the slants and TE outs with no problem and hand off/pitch to the stable of backs we have. "Game manager" isn't a bad thing. I think Blake will take us home this year. RTR!

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
He looked real good running the ball. On the other hand, I think I saw him make about three throws that I couldn't make. I think he threw it 10+ yards one time. Just doesn't inspire confidence.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I like Blake. I worry about his ability to lead a comeback via the pass. Play action and slants are great unless you are behind by a touchdown or two.
I don't think dinking and dunking the ball down the field is in the cards if we expect to have a good season. With that kind of offense we'd be vulnerable to Ole Miss, MSU and even Arky and UT much less LSU, TAMU and AU.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
He looked real good running the ball. On the other hand, I think I saw him make about three throws that I couldn't make. I think he threw it 10+ yards one time. Just doesn't inspire confidence.
But also note that in every instance he was in for mop-up duty where throws down the field would be tagged as running up the score.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Awesome..Thanks for sharing this..Should Blake become the man this year, I have confidence in him, cause he brings an option of being a true a running QB when all our WR's are covered..When he takes off & gains a big play running the ball, that will be just as effectiv as throwing the ball, and that will cause nightmares for D's trying to stop us..I'll go ot on a limb & state, that should Blake become our starter, our offense will be the most explosive offense since Coach Saban has been at Bama..Cause we've never been a pass heavy type offense & most of AJ's & Greg, John Parkers passing yards were from short passes, that our WR's turned into big gains after catching the ball, and Blake can hit those short & medium passes that our offense rely's on..With an occasional bomb or pass longer than 25-30 yards..

I'm actually hoping that Blake becomes our starter this year & leads us to a NC, cause he's earned it by patiently waiting his turn(He's a true team player Coach Saban loves & respects..As do I as well)..And then Coker takes over next year & leads us to back to back NC's..That will give Cornwell time to completely heal up & will give him a couple years running our offense..And then one of the young stud QB recruit takes over after Cornwell..If Blake can lead our offense this year..The dominoes will fall perfectly into place after this year for Coker & he will get his shot running our offense next year..That will give Coker the time needed to become completely ready to lead our offense..Instead of being thrown into the fire this year..If that happens, so be it, and I'll have all the confidence in the world with Coker as well..Cause Coach Saban will have either one ready to lead our offense & the talent is there on offense to make a NC run this year..Cause our D will prolly be the #1 rated D this year at the end of the year & all we need is & I hate to use this term, a true "Game Manager" at the QB spot(who doesn't turn the ball over trying to do to much), cause I think our running game has the chance to be one of the best ever in the history of college football..

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
But also note that in every instance he was in for mop-up duty where throws down the field would be tagged as running up the score.
This... he absolutely has thrown the ball much further in "live action", it just wasn't in blowouts, it was during A-Day. Of course, he's generally struggled in A-Day, but people sure can have selective memory when it comes to Blake.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
If Blake is the Man then I hope he does great. Hope he doesn't win it just because he has been at Bama longer, if he wins outright that's good.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Awesome..Thanks for sharing this..Should Blake become the man this year, I have confidence in him, cause he brings an option of being a true a running QB when all our WR's are covered..When he takes off & gains a big play running the ball, that will be just as effectiv as throwing the ball, and that will cause nightmares for D's trying to stop us..I'll go ot on a limb & state, that should Blake become our starter, our offense will be the most explosive offense since Coach Saban has been at Bama..Cause we've never been a pass heavy type offense & most of AJ's & Greg, John Parkers passing yards were from short passes, that our WR's turned into big gains after catching the ball, and Blake can hit those short & medium passes that our offense rely's on..With an occasional bomb or pass longer than 25-30 yards..

I'm actually hoping that Blake becomes our starter this year & leads us to a NC, cause he's earned it by patiently waiting his turn(He's a true team player Coach Saban loves & respects..As do I as well)..And then Coker takes over next year & leads us to back to back NC's..That will give Cornwell time to completely heal up & will give him a couple years running our offense..And then one of the young stud QB recruit takes over after Cornwell..If Blake can lead our offense this year..The dominoes will fall perfectly into place after this year for Coker & he will get his shot running our offense next year..That will give Coker the time needed to become completely ready to lead our offense..Instead of being thrown into the fire this year..If that happens, so be it, and I'll have all the confidence in the world with Coker as well..Cause Coach Saban will have either one ready to lead our offense & the talent is there on offense to make a NC run this year..Cause our D will prolly be the #1 rated D this year at the end of the year & all we need is & I hate to use this term, a true "Game Manager" at the QB spot(who doesn't turn the ball over trying to do to much), cause I think our running game has the chance to be one of the best ever in the history of college football..
I hope if Blake Sims is on the field it's because he's the best quarterback we have, not because he has sat on the bench longer than anyone else we have. I appreciate his dedication to the team as much as anyone else but it shouldn't mean he can earn the job because of that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.