Blake Sims - All of his plays

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CNS sure let AJ throw it down the field in 2010. I think Sims had the option to throw it further on some of those plays but chose the shorter routes because that's his comfort zone. If you wanna develop your backup QB, you gotta let him take some shots. I don't believe CNS would bar his backup from throwing down the field just to be nice to the other team when that backup could be the starter in a year.
Saban was always happy when AJ threw the ball deep.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I thought when he whipped AJ on the butt it was because of a mistake he made down near the goal line on a short pass play, although I could be wrong.
IIRC, Saban was upset AJ went deep to a covered Julio at the goal line rather than dumping off to an open guy.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sims? Nah, people would just say the secondary was off that day.

There are lots of folks who appear to truly not want to give Sims credit. If the staff - all of whom have forgotten more about football than anyone here will ever know - trust Sims, then so do I, regardless of what I may or may not have seen in practice.

I agree 100%.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not sure we're looking at this the right way.

Blake Sims won the backup job over several guys, which includes Phillip Ely and Alec Morris. This means something, he was backup at Alabama and not merely by default. There were other guys there, that other schools wanted and Sims is the one that not only managed to hold onto that second string spot for a couple of years, but hasn't been knocked off the first string position this year yet either. The coaches don't draw straws to determine that sort of thing.

It's a good thing to be able to return your second string guy once you lose your starter. Not every school gets to do that (they might graduate or transfer). And, on top of that, this is Alabama, not exactly completely lacking in talent. I remember reading something last season that listed Blake Sims as an NFL draft prospect. There are probably plenty of programs out there that would love to have the "problem" of potentially playing Blake Sims at quarterback, a fifth year senior.

On the other hand, Coker is a guy Alabama originally recruited. He's a guy pro scouts love, and he came from a place that's had a fair bit of success with QBs. If you're going to get a backup, you might as well get the backup from a team that just won a championship, right? Coker is the sort of guy that practically every school looking for a starter would have wanted.

So, we can look at it like the obvious fact that Alabama will be playing a guy who was a backup. A guy who has limited experience and has to show some improvement. Part of this is the simple fact that there are some skills a quarterback can't develop until he gets meaningful playing time along with the first team reps. Or, we can look at the fact that Alabama has the #2 guys from two of the top programs in the country. If you're going to have to replace a starter, isn't that the sort of position you'd want to be in? No one wants to start a true freshman at quarterback...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
IIRC, Saban was upset AJ went deep to a covered Julio at the goal line rather than dumping off to an open guy.
2nd and goal from 1 - McCarron audibles from run to pass, takes a sack of 10 yards
3rd and goal from 11 - under pressure, scrambles back to the 30, lobs it up in the end zone and prays it doesn't get intercepted
Jeremy Shelley kicks the FG

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Saban was always happy when AJ threw the ball deep.

I'm not just talking about going deep, how about ten yards past the line of scrimmage? Did CNS specifically tell BS not to throw it further than ten yards? I doubt it. The likely answer is BS wasn't comfortable doing it.

Last edited:

nx4bama

All-SEC
Apr 8, 2010
NW Alabama
I'll be the first to tell you I was highly disappointed in his performance on A-day. But Jacob Coker doesn't impress me either from the film I've watched of him and the subtle leaking reports that there are times he can't hit the broad side of a barn. The staff really has no choice but to "trust" them because they're all we've got. None of the other guys are ready to compete for the starting job. Personally, I couldn't careless who wins the job. I just want the best out there. They both have their shortcomings and it doesn't take someone who's coached 30 years see that. If they didn't then we'd have two perfect qb's.
kudos on the proper use of that expression :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I will say there are some plays in that compilation that are better than I remember though it's pretty telling that he never throws the ball down the field. We will find out what he can do on Saturday but must admit I'm skeptical he can throw the ball down field consistently. I'll be supporting him though..

I will say there are some plays in that compilation that are better than I remember though it's pretty telling that he never throws the ball down the field. We will find out what he can do on Saturday but must admit I'm skeptical he can throw the ball down field consistently. I'll be supporting him though..
He hasn't been asked to do it really. A-Day wasn't that great though. I guess we'll see once it's live. Hope he can light it up like he does in practice.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
He hasn't been asked to do it really. A-Day wasn't that great though. I guess we'll see once it's live. Hope he can light it up like he does in practice.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
I don't want to rehash the whole QB discussion but that was the point in my previous post. Why has he never been asked to throw the ball down field? And as you say when given the opportunity in A-Day he struggled doing it..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if we'd ever seen McCarron throw it 10+ yards down the field successfully until he was the starter in 2011. Sometimes these garbage time cuts don't indicate ability not only because of the level of competition but also in variety of playcalling.

The coach says he's done enough to at least be considered a starter for this unit. I'd assume that he's improved enough to at least let all this perimeter talent be exploited.

I don't want to rehash the whole QB discussion but that was the point in my previous post. Why has he never been asked to throw the ball down field? And as you say when given the opportunity in A-Day he struggled doing it..
I just hope it was nerves.

Sent from my iPhone

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.