Cop punching tazed guy in Wal-mart

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Two able bodied police should have been able to subdue him easily after tazing him.
Punching someone in the head is a good way to break your hand.
He was sitting there groggy. Slap some cuffs or a ziptie on him and haul him off to the squad car.
They WANTED to hit him like that.

Two able bodied police should have been able to subdue him easily after tazing him.
He was sitting there groggy. Slap some cuffs or a ziptie on him and haul him off to the squad car.
True.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think all of those years of "cops" desensitized a lot of folks wrt police violence in dealing with "resisting"

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Question: what would had have to have happened just before the video started to make it OK for the officer to repeatedly punch a man in the back of his head while lying on the ground?
Still wondering if those who suggested this behavior might be appropriate depending on what happened before the video started can share what those things might be.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think police do overreact at times -- but maybe it's because they never know when someone will overreact and then try to kill them....

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So it's sort of like preemptive self-defense...
Yeah, I guess sometimes it might be.....again, not defending, but - it only takes about 5 seconds for a situation to change for the worst -- and if they are responsible for protecting all of the others in Wal-mart at that moment -- that may have caused that reaction.

Let's say the guy breaks free - and begins running through Wal-mart, and in the process one of the bystanders gets injured, possibly severely --

I know it's a lot of "What If...." stuff -- but there are some crazy people out there -- and if you get a hold of one of them -- it can get ugly quick....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you don't want to put your life on the line while obeying the law, get another job. Cops signed on to enforce the law, not abuse it, so if that's the best excuse they have, they need to do something else.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Yeah, I guess sometimes it might be.....again, not defending, but - it only takes about 5 seconds for a situation to change for the worst -- and if they are responsible for protecting all of the others in Wal-mart at that moment -- that may have caused that reaction.

Let's say the guy breaks free - and begins running through Wal-mart, and in the process one of the bystanders gets injured, possibly severely --

I know it's a lot of "What If...." stuff -- but there are some crazy people out there -- and if you get a hold of one of them -- it can get ugly quick....
I understand your argument. But there's another word for preemptive self-defense: assault.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If you don't want to put your life on the line while obeying the law, get another job. Cops signed on to enforce the law, not abuse it, so if that's the best excuse they have, they need to do something else.
Police are like Teachers now -- most of the good ones have gotten out -- like I said before -- the system is broken beyond repair.....

At this point -- there are lot of rules in every job saying "this is how you should act" -- and in every job, 99% are either ignoring the rules, or bending them so far the rules are no longer recognizable.....

But from the Lawmakers to the Law Enforcers to the Law Judgers -- it's all over.....you can blame the cops --- I prefer to blame society at this point -- we sort of have allowed things to deteriorate to this level.

So many now view getting arrested as a 'Badge of Honor' within society -- and are willing to challenge authority violently.

Imagine being a cop, following the rules, and someone slapped you across the face and went for your gun -- and you knew you had about 3-5 seconds to decide what to do to not only save you, but save the criminal, and anyone else that was standing nearby --

Can you honestly say that you can follow all the rules that you've learned when you instinctively turn to "survival mode"?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Imagine being a cop, following the rules, and someone slapped you across the face and went for your gun -- and you knew you had about 3-5 seconds to decide what to do to not only save you, but save the criminal, and anyone else that was standing nearby --

Can you honestly say that you can follow all the rules that you've learned when you instinctively turn to "survival mode"?
If survival mode is what got me to taze the guy, it's revenge mode that gets me to punch him while he's being held down.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No, which is one of a long list of reasons I chose not to be a police officer.

Again, I don't feel sorry for them one bit - they signed up for this - no one forced them to become a cop.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Police are like Teachers now -- most of the good ones have gotten out -- like I said before -- the system is broken beyond repair.....

At this point -- there are lot of rules in every job saying "this is how you should act" -- and in every job, 99% are either ignoring the rules, or bending them so far the rules are no longer recognizable.....

But from the Lawmakers to the Law Enforcers to the Law Judgers -- it's all over.....you can blame the cops --- I prefer to blame society at this point -- we sort of have allowed things to deteriorate to this level.

So many now view getting arrested as a 'Badge of Honor' within society -- and are willing to challenge authority violently.

What you are saying regarding rules rings true to me. I have specifically noted as much over the past few years. There seems to be a view that is popular among the millennials that, in general, rules are suggestive in nature, subject to individual consideration (and rejection) on a case-by-case and individual-by-individual basis. Of course that's always happened. But I don't think the attitude was nearly as pervasive just 20 or 30 years ago.

On the other hand, my experience since 1991 has been in a military environment, where rules are generally followed. So I'll freely admit that I could be wrong due to experiential bias. That said, I even noticed a big change in the attitudes of junior military members between say 2000 and 2010.

When a nation of laws ceases to view rules and laws as obligatory, that nation begins to fall apart, at first in the little ways - like increasing police brutality.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Do you think that some officers have "battle fatigue" from dealing with the criminal element in our society day after day after day and night after night after night and need more time off.

There is a right way to do things and a wrong way. Looks like the officer in this situation was doing the latter. Can't he see people using their iPhones to record this incident? He just may be in the wrong profession.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.