Cop punching tazed guy in Wal-mart

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you resist arrest -- i'm not sure what else you would like them to do.....

Any suggestions?
Yah, when my kids (or other people I interact with) don't do what I want them to do, I immediately resort to punching them in the head repeatedly.

Is this really how our police are supposed to handle this? Is this really what you want to happen to someone for passively 'resisting arrest'?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Yah, when my kids (or other people I interact with) don't do what I want them to do, I immediately resort to punching them in the head repeatedly.

Is this really how our police are supposed to handle this? Is this really what you want to happen to someone for passively 'resisting arrest'?
Well we didn't get to see what he did before the video started. He was in a crowded environment with dozens of others.

I honestly don't know what I want anymore. We've lost control of the legal system....at every level.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/statutes/statute.aspx?id=19875

520.090 Resisting arrest.(1) A person is guilty of resisting arrest when he intentionally prevents or attempts
to prevent a peace officer, recognized to be acting under color of his official
authority, from effecting an arrest of the actor or another by:
(a) Using or threatening to use physical force or violence against the peace
officer or another; or
(b) Using any other means creating a substantial risk of causing physical
injury to the peace officer or another.
(2) Resisting arrest is a Class A misdemeanor.
Effective:January 1, 1975
History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 177, effective January 1, 1975.
We don't know what happened just before the video begins, but I'm not a lawyer and don't know if it matters in law or to what degree. It seems from a cursory reading of the law that resisting did not occur during the time the video was recorded. Electrical shock also makes it very difficult to control your body.

I will say that based on what I saw the blows to the back of the head and neck seem excessive to me. Those are not defensive blows the officer is delivering. They appear more to be submit or I will knock you out blows.

I support officers in making lawful arrests lawfully. I think the officer crossed the line.

On a side note, while researching the past few minutes I came across a SCOTUS case only lawyers are likely to be familiar with: Plummer v State. Very interesting case that makes me wonder where and when it could be applied in some cases today.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
Police need to stop acting like this, people are starting to notice more. More people are getting tired of it. Even Obama is starting to be concerned!

The cops acting like this are literally going to start a second civil war in the United States.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I think the guy in the video was ValuJet!! He was failing to comply. The blows to the back of his head were weak blows.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Question: what would had have to have happened just before the video started to make it OK for the officer to repeatedly punch a man in the back of his head while lying on the ground?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
Both officers need to lose their jobs. One for the blatant excessive force and the other for not stopping it. Regardless of what the guy did before the video started, he wasn't exactly putting up a fight. Cop went too far.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've known a couple of policemen pretty well. They've admitted to me that one of the situations where they really have to struggle to hold their tempers in check is when someone is actively resisting arrest. Conversely, they've said that it's not that way when there's passive resistance (like going limp). For that reason, I think that there was probably active resistance before the video started. I'm not saying I condone it at all - just adding that insight. The other incidence where they get really upset and frustrated is after a long, high speed and dangerous chase. That's the reason so many of them end in nasty incidents at the end...

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I've known a couple of policemen pretty well. They've admitted to me that one of the situations where they really have to struggle to hold their tempers in check is when someone is actively resisting arrest. Conversely, they've said that it's not that way when there's passive resistance (like going limp). For that reason, I think that there was probably active resistance before the video started. I'm not saying I condone it at all - just adding that insight. The other incidence where they get really upset and frustrated is after a long, high speed and dangerous chase. That's the reason so many of them end in nasty incidents at the end...
High speed chases, I completely agree with. The adrenaline is running so high and the idiot who ran from the cops risked many lives weaving in and out of traffic and running red lights and stop signs. I'm perfectly fine with cops putting a good beat down on those idiots.

In this case, it appears the suspect was tazed. I don't know enough about being tazed (not yet anyway ;) ) so I just don't know how much "active" resistance one can put up after said tazing.

Police need to stop acting like this, people are starting to notice more. More people are getting tired of it. Even Obama is starting to be concerned!

The cops acting like this are literally going to start a second civil war in the United States.
Obama is concerned?! Really? Lol Blue font?! lol

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
High speed chases, I completely agree with. The adrenaline is running so high and the idiot who ran from the cops risked many lives weaving in and out of traffic and running red lights and stop signs. I'm perfectly fine with cops putting a good beat down on those idiots.

In this case, it appears the suspect was tazed. I don't know enough about being tazed (not yet anyway ;) ) so I just don't know how much "active" resistance one can put up after said tazing.

It's very spotty. Some big guys and people up on drugs can continue while being tazed. But that wasn't what I said. If there were active resistance, before the video began, causing the tazing, that would have been what would have raised tempers...

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, but if a cop can't control his temper, he needs to find another line of work. It's that simple. Those in positions of authority cannot be allowed to abuse their power because you ticked them off.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.