Slight majority of 18-24 yr olds think all kids should get a trophy

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I would have voted "only winners." But, I think trophies are small potatoes. First, kids do see who wins games. Second, most leagues still have all-star games and championship tournaments. So, kids get it in sports. They know who's good and who's not.

Much more damaging than a trophy epidemic is grade inflation (as mentioned earlier). Sometimes the kids - even if they know who the "smart" kids are - see A's and think they are just as smart as anyone. They think they are good at math because they make A's. Their parents see standardized test scores and see "20th percentile" next to their math score but don't tell their kids. So the kids grow up thinking they are good at math (but their parents know better). Then they get to college and can't pass College Algebra. So, they get out of maths and sciences and major in Art. Then they can't find jobs so they push mops at McDonalds and demand a "livable wage."

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
It's very interesting, although in a macabre way. Propaganda forced down the throats of society by their leaders is one thing. Propaganda from within a self-deluded society is another.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Man, you're not kidding - my wife and I mention this all the time - it seems that everyone we know has 'gifted' or 'genius' kids now. I'm around these kids, most of which are barely average....
"I know! Parents these days. They think their kids are so special! I mean, it's not like their kids are like our little Jamie who can count to ten in Japanese! I mean, can you believe how smart he is?"

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
"I know! Parents these days. They think their kids are so special! I mean, it's not like their kids are like our little Jamie who can count to ten in Japanese! I mean, can you believe how smart he is?"
There are Japanese kids that can count to a thousand in Japanese. We're LOSING HERE!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Man, you're not kidding - my wife and I mention this all the time - it seems that everyone we know has 'gifted' or 'genius' kids now. I'm around these kids, most of which are barely average....
Yep. We're currently experiencing this. Our oldest is truly gifted. She belongs in the "gateway" program. Her IQ is 138-140, depending on which score from which IQ test you use. Without even taking an IQ test you can tell (just by being around her) she's very intelligent. My oldest son, who goes to the same school as our daughter, is not "gifted" in our opinion. Yet, the school is begging us to get him tested and says he's a candidate for the gifted program. But my wife and I are honest about it. He's a little above the average kid. I would highly question the testing method if he got in. That's not saying my son is "dumb". He takes after me, he's a little above average. I took an IQ test and scored 117+/- 2 pts. The wife has an IQ in the 130's. We know our kids very well and have no doubt our middle one is not "gateway" material. But his teacher keeps pushing for him to test.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.