West Virginia Game Week Press Conferences and Practice Updates

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'd rather Landon NOT play on Special Teams TBH. All due respect to CNS's judgement but Landon is THE ONE guy we cannot afford to lose to injury. He is by far our best player on D and the MVP who will also be a leader and a communicator to the other DB's. If he goes down on a SP teams play it will hurt as bad or worse that losing Sunseri last year. LC is invaluable to this team.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I'd rather Landon NOT play on Special Teams TBH. All due respect to CNS's judgement but Landon is THE ONE guy we cannot afford to lose to injury. He is by far our best player on D and the MVP who will also be a leader and a communicator to the other DB's. If he goes down on a SP teams play it will hurt as bad or worse that losing Sunseri last year. LC is invaluable to this team.
I think that's just the way he does things. He even did it with CJ last year. After losing Vinnie to that last year, I am a bit concerned too, but at the same time, an injury can happen on any play.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I don't believe it for a second that Sims won it............ There's more to it than they're letting it on.
Couldn't it just be that Blake has more experience with the system and Coker had a lot of pressure thrown on him (by outside media) that he's struggling to adjust?

I just don't see a grand conspiracy here. Saban has shown what he values at different spots. But consistency trumps a lot of other stuff for most, if not all, positions.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm sure we will.

Here's the rub that I think everyone has missed on: Blake is playing faster, the huddle is a little more electric, he's playing well.....BUT it's still a close race. How? Because Coker has the build and arm of a future NFL starter. At this point, it's not what Coker is, but what he CAN be. How much more work will it take until he reaches that point?

It could be as soon as this week in practice, a half of game snaps, or it might not click until next season.
Which ever one plays I don't think they'll be given the keys to the Cadillac until they build a little confidence with Saban and Kiffin. So it will be conservative. But if Sims is playing faster then that means he has a better grasp of what's going on and that's who we want on the field. I still say if he can correct the staring down of his receiver and we can incorporate some of his running ability into our offense we will be hell to stop.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Naw, I was kidding ya'll. I was basically saying that He has confidences in both QBs and the fact he said that a starter may not be on the field at the end of the game doesn't mean he's gonna start next game. I think we all know Sims is going to start, but Coker will play in second half.. we'll see. COker might play better than Sims in game, or sims might play better than Coker.. Shoot, Morris might outplay them.
Couldn't it just be that Blake has more experience with the system and Coker had a lot of pressure thrown on him (by outside media) that he's struggling to adjust?

I just don't see a grand conspiracy here. Saban has shown what he values at different spots. But consistency trumps a lot of other stuff for most, if not all, positions.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I don't read anything extra into the Coach's statement about the QBs. It might stand to reason that Sims has gotten more confidence and improved with Coach LK working with him, not to mention knowing that he at least played the Spring as the #1 QB. And I can certainly understand that 20 or practices is a darned short amount of time to expect someone brand new to the system to be running things confidently, and at full speed.

We all know CNS hates turnovers. If, for whatever reason, Coker is overthrowing or throwing late, that is going to have the head coach's attention, and not in a good way.

Whatever. They put on the crimson and take the field, I'm behind them 100% -- that goes for the softball team, the gymnasts, the hockey team, whomever. So whoever is in at QB, starting or not, I hope he plays the game of his life.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Monday afternoon practice report

Watching the quarterbacks, it's obvious the accuracy of Coker has improved from the first few practices of August. All three top quarterbacks were hitting the targets on a number of long and short routes.

There's a real drop off in arm strength after Sims, Coker and Morris. There's a smaller gap between the top two and Morris. Sims was really humming it in to receivers on short routes.

We will see Saturday!:)
I hope the young man proves the doubters wrong. Not to take anything away from Coker. Sims has been put the ringer by the media AND fans. Hope he wins the Heisman.

If Coker wins the job good for him and par for the course. He'll be the team's leader and I as a fan will be the first to back him. It's just Sims is an afterthought to what it seems like everyone.

Either way hope both do a great job this season.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I hope the young man proves the doubters wrong. Not to take anything away from Coker. Sims has been put the ringer by the media AND fans. Hope he wins the Heisman.

If Coker wins the job good for him and par for the course. He'll be the team's leader and I as a fan will be the first to back him. It's just Sims is an afterthought to what it seems like everyone.

Either way hope both do a great job this season.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
What I love about football is that it's the ultimate team sport. If all our guys play to their potential they will bring #16 home to T-Town.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Sims can be the guy. He doesn't need to go out there and throw for 300 yds.

A stat line such as this: 13/18 200 yds 2 TDs, 35 yds rushing

WILL get it done. JMO

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
And here's the answer to who's leading the QB competition. 'Sip should be happy. "His boy" seems to have earned the job.
Buzz--It's not Saturday yet, so it's still up in the air as to who will start at QB.
Yes, I'll be happy to see Blake get a chance to start if that comes to fruition.
He's a five year guy who has worked his butt off to help the team in any way he can.
Still, my contention all along was that Coach Saban would give him a chance because he was a five year guy and was therefore, "way more familiar with the system".
I think that familiarity is what will be the deciding factor if Blake does in deed start.
To me the incredible pre-camp expectations placed on Coker were not fair to say the least.
I'm not sure if any QB can walk on campus for fall camp only and be comfortable enough with the system to start game one. It's just not realistic.
Coach Saban said it best in his press conference.."To think someone can play with confidence without knowledge is almost stupid".
Regardless, If Coker starts I'll be pulling for Coker. I'm for whichever QB is under center wearing a crimson jersey.
RTR! sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.