West Virginia Game Week Press Conferences and Practice Updates

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Game week is finally here.

Game reminder:

Kickoff - 2:30 (central)
TV - ABC or ESPN2 (Announcers - Dave Pasch, Brian Griese & Tom Luginbill)
Radio - Crimson Tide Radio Network (click to find the radio station in your area)

Coach Saban meets with the media for his game week Monday noon press conference today. During that, we will get the depth chart.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
WVU will be without a senior DB...

@mikecasazza Dana Holgorsen says senior CB Ickey Banks is suspended first three games for academic issue. Said Banks was "reinstated" after NCAA review.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Depth chart released prior to the press conference. Posted that in its own thread.

Saban about to speak.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
  • Saban: "West Virginia has, I think, a really good team coming back."
  • Nick Saban press conference underway: West Virginia has, I think, a really good team coming back. Dana has done a really good job on offense
  • Saban: WV has a lot of success moving the ball on opponents; will be a challenge for Bama
  • Saban: No new injuries to report. "Everybody is practicing" except Kurt Freitag (toe).
  • Saban: The QB situation we’re going to continue to rep both guys. We feel like both guys have done a good job.
  • Saban says both QBs are still taking reps. "Obviously someone has to start the game so we'll make that decision sometime this week."
  • Saban: Blake Sims has done really, really well. Played well in scrimmages. Said team has a good rhythm with Sims in.
  • Saban: Jacob Coker is still learning. Said it's about confidence and becoming more familiar with the system.
  • Saban on Coker still learning: "To think that a guy can play with confidence when he doesn't have knowledge is almost stupid."
  • Saban: all players are available to go to Atlanta at this time
  • Saban: No plans to play two series on, two series off or anything like that for QBs right now.
  • Saban on QBS: No guarantee that "whatever pitcher starts the game is necessarily going to pitch nine innings."
  • Saban: Going to go West Virginia games when I was a kid was the biggest thing going. I've always been a Mountaineer fan.
  • Saban: I remember looking the rails watching Jerry West play at the West Virginia Field House.
  • Saban waxes poetic about growing up a WVU fan, but says "But now I'm at Alabama. I'm an Alabama fan now."
  • Saban thinks Alabama has much more depth up front on defense. Ex-end A'Shawn Robinson first-team at noseguard ahead of Brandon Ivory.
  • Saban: No decision has been made on whether both QBs will play Saturday.
  • Saban: The decision to play both quarterbacks hasn't been made. I've said about all I can say on the quarterbacks.
  • Saban says CB Cyrus Jones has had a really good camp this fall.
  • Saban talking RBs: Says Yeldon and Henry are downhill runners, Drake is better receiver, perimeter running. Want all three involved.
  • Saban: we've tried to make some systematic adjustments on offense, but it has to be within what our players can do
  • Saban on involvement with OC: I'd rather make my recommendations between series rather than during a drive. Doesn't want to mess the guy up
  • Saban: you can mess a guy up if you constantly question what they do
  • Saban: Landon Collins has been a key guy in a leadership role; has set a great example; will still play some on special teams
  • Saban says the team will "minimize" Landon Collins' play on special teams because of his value at safety. He'll still play on some teams.
  • Saban: Brandon Ivory could start inside and A'Shawn Robinson move back to end against a different style of offense. Says lots of versatility
  • Saban saying he hates to give the depth chart, because players gets used differently in different situations.
  • Saban: Rashaan Evans has shown a lot on the edge in terms of a pass rush. Tim Williams has too, when we get him fully back.
  • Saban: A'Shawn Robinson listed as starter at NG, but will play multiple positions on line depending on formation
  • Saban said he can't remember ever having a freshman start at left tackle.
  • Saban says LB Reuben Foster has "learned how to play." Said he's corrected the mistake that caused his neck stingers.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
"Saban: No plans to play two series on, two series off or anything like that for QBs right now.
Saban on QBS: No guarantee that "whatever pitcher starts the game is necessarily going to pitch nine innings."

Sounds like he'll decide by end of the week and possible stick with the QB for the duration of the game except for late game situation. I like this.

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
"Saban: No plans to play two series on, two series off or anything like that for QBs right now.
Saban on QBS: No guarantee that "whatever pitcher starts the game is necessarily going to pitch nine innings."

Sounds like he'll decide by end of the week and possible stick with the QB for the duration of the game except for late game situation. I like this.
Sounds like Sims has put more distance between himself and Coker than most realized.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Saban: Blake Sims has done really, really well. Played well in scrimmages. Said team has a good rhythm with Sims in.
Saban: Jacob Coker is still learning. Said it's about confidence and becoming more familiar with the system.
And, that's why Blake is your starter vs WVU, IMO

squeally dan

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2008
I think people may be reading what they want to read.

I just listened to the conference on the radio and to me it sounded like they still don't have a starter and both will likely play against WVA. He basically said he knows there has to be a starter but the starter may not be the starter by the end of the game.

From what I have heard, from people who have seen practices, Blake will be the starter and it isn't even close. However, in the conference I just listened too, Saban said nothing of the sort.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
  • Saban: Blake Sims has done really, really well. Played well in scrimmages. Said team has a good rhythm with Sims in.
  • Saban: Jacob Coker is still learning. Said it's about confidence and becoming more familiar with the system.
And here's the answer to who's leading the QB competition. 'Sip should be happy. "His boy" seems to have earned the job.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think people may be reading what they want to read.

I just listened to the conference on the radio and to me it sounded like they still don't have a starter and both will likely play against WVA. He basically said he knows there has to be a starter but the starter may not be the starter by the end of the game.

From what I have heard, from people who have seen practices, Blake will be the starter and it isn't even close. However, in the conference I just listened too, Saban said nothing of the sort.
saban's using the jedi mind trick

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
So, if Sims can't get the offense going or throws a long INT, we will see Coker?? I just don't have the level of confidence in Sims that Coach does. But, hey, I'm just a fan. I trust Coach's decisions.
I'm sure we will.

Here's the rub that I think everyone has missed on: Blake is playing faster, the huddle is a little more electric, he's playing well.....BUT it's still a close race. How? Because Coker has the build and arm of a future NFL starter. At this point, it's not what Coker is, but what he CAN be. How much more work will it take until he reaches that point?

It could be as soon as this week in practice, a half of game snaps, or it might not click until next season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.