Pace-of-play

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I know we've discussed the HUNH a good bit and the SEC officials may slow things down a little but I ran across the following article that mentions the NCAA coordinator of officials discussing it and that they've added some pace-of-play procedures in the officiating mechanics manual.

Link

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There's way too much ambiguity there. Clearly a crew, if they want, can maintain a reasonable pace without tripping over themselves the whole game. But, they always could do that. I mainly see a confession that they were doing a really poor job and overly catering to the offense, but we all knew that. There's still nothing, anywhere to actually prohibit the refs from acting like the Keystone Cops out there. So, if you draw the wrong crew, you might get horrible officiating.

I do hope that I see more things like that article, that bring increased awareness to the issue. A lot of fans didn't really get how the clock changes impacted things (I didn't) and don't understand the extent in which the refs ran around acting like the game was about to end in the first quarter. Unfortunately, the article even alludes to the fact that refs now are expected to be in better shape, presumably to help keep up with the pace (of the offense)...

Last edited:
There's way too much ambiguity there. Clearly a crew, if they want, can maintain a reasonable pace without tripping over themselves the whole game. But, they always could do that. I mainly see a confession that they were doing a really poor job and overly catering to the offense, but we all knew that. There's still nothing, anywhere to actually prohibit the refs from acting like the Keystone Cops out there. So, if you draw the wrong crew, you might get horrible officiating.

I do hope that I see more things like that article, that bring increased awareness to the issue. A lot of fans didn't really get how the clock changes impacted things (I didn't) and don't understand the extent in which the refs ran around acting like the game was about to end in the first quarter. Unfortunately, the article even alludes to the fact that refs now are expected to be in better shape, presumably to help keep up with the pace (of the offense)...
I'm with you. I think we've been saying that on this board for a long time that they are not obligated to run to spot a ball. They needed to allow themselves to get in position which they rarely were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
"It's not specific rules, but more of an outline on how to appease the up-tempo offenses while keeping the defenses relatively happy."

this one sentence pretty much says it all.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Hopefully college officials will be like the crew that officiated the high school game I attended last Friday. They were not in a big hurry to spot the ball and signal it in play, plus they called a lot of procedure penalties. Both teams were running the HUNH, but the officials kept things more honest than what I remember over the last few years.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I agree with the ambiguity but at least they seem to be realizing that they've allowed the offense an advantage. An umpire or referee's role is to make sure the game is played fairly and that's not what has been happening in too many games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.