Burger King Announces Move To Canada; Tax-and-Spenders Up In Arms

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The middle class is quickly fading and much of that middle class is made up of people that work in factories of companies that actually make something.

We, as a country, are above that kind of drudgery. We have college degrees. We work at desks in A/C controlled climates and listen to Bruno Mars while switching between Instagram and spreadsheets.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Why wait for the net installment of Rachel Maddow when you have the writings of Karl Marx to reference?
VJ you have displayed your ignorance!!:eek2: Burger King wasn't around when Karl Marx was writing. Colonel Sanders and KFC may have been around.:)

You forgot the blue and the smiley in your post BTW.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
VJ you have displayed your ignorance!!:eek2: Burger King wasn't around when Karl Marx was writing. Colonel Sanders and KFC may have been around.:)

You forgot the blue and the smiley in your post BTW.
Neither was your man in the White House but he sure did latch on to his coattails!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
This story is pretty big news here in Canada. Tim Hortons is the strongest brand in Canada and is very, very successful up here but it has had a lot of trouble getting traction in the US and hasn't really tried to expand elsewhere (yet). We're hearing up here that Tim Hortons wants to team up with Burger King to take advantage of BK's established locations in the US and around the world and that BK likes what Tim's has to offer for co-location prospects to help it compete with McDonalds.

On the US-Canada income tax subject: as Bamaro pointed out, they really aren't much different (although a couple of basis points is certainly significant to any publicly traded corporation). Personal income tax rates and sales tax rates OTOH are much higher in most of Canada. 42% marginal tax rate on annual income over $72,000 where I live in Nova Scotia and sales tax of 15% on almost everything except groceries. Taxes on gasoline is almost 50%. My wife and I take one or two shopping trips each summer (on Canada Day weekend, lol) and fall to Maine and or New Hampshire to do our shopping for ourselves, our son, Christmas, birthdays etc. Sticker price on clothes and household items is about 30% to 40% lower than here in Nova Scotia and tax is 5% or less compared to 15% at home. Big savings so we load up the car with goods. And we always find people really friendly and service in stores and restaurants is much better in the US than at home.

In our experience, we like Dunkin Donuts coffee better than Tim Hortons but I really can't say about Burger King because we don't go there. If you want a burger in Canada from chain restaurant, Harveys is the best by far.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This story is pretty big news here in Canada. Tim Hortons is the strongest brand in Canada and is very, very successful up here but it has had a lot of trouble getting traction in the US and hasn't really tried to expand elsewhere (yet). We're hearing up here that Tim Hortons wants to team up with Burger King to take advantage of BK's established locations in the US and around the world and that BK likes what Tim's has to offer for co-location prospects to help it compete with McDonalds.

On the US-Canada income tax subject: as Bamaro pointed out, they really aren't much different (although a couple of basis points is certainly significant to any publicly traded corporation). Personal income tax rates and sales tax rates OTOH are much higher in most of Canada. 42% marginal tax rate on annual income over $72,000 where I live in Nova Scotia and sales tax of 15% on almost everything except groceries. Taxes on gasoline is almost 50%. My wife and I take one or two shopping trips each summer (on Canada Day weekend, lol) and fall to Maine and or New Hampshire to do our shopping for ourselves, our son, Christmas, birthdays etc. Sticker price on clothes and household items is about 30% to 40% lower than here in Nova Scotia and tax is 5% or less compared to 15% at home. Big savings so we load up the car with goods. And we always find people really friendly and service in stores and restaurants is much better in the US than at home.

In our experience, we like Dunkin Donuts coffee better than Tim Hortons but I really can't say about Burger King because we don't go there. If you want a burger in Canada from chain restaurant, Harveys is the best by far.
My god that is outrageous. What's the point in working?

Wow!! Good ole USA for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Does your president consider your actions unpatriotic? (really should not be in blue)

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
My god that is outrageous. What's the point in working?
Believe me, we ask ourselves that very question sometimes. And we've talked about moving to the States since we both like it so much pretty much everywhere that we've been. But we're a little long in the tooth (especially me) to make such a big move. It used to be a joke in these parts that people don't live in Nova Scotia for the climate or tax regime but when you get into your mid forties it's not much of a joke anymore.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
It's a broken system, and we need to fix it.
It's an easy fix. The businesses just need to want to pay more in taxes to be in 'Merica. We need to change laws so that their hearts will want what is best for our central government instead of for their husbands, wives, and children.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Does your president consider your actions unpatriotic? (really should not be in blue)
Lol. Probably not. Two years ago when the US dollar and Canadian dollar were close to par, there was a significant increase in Canadians going shopping in the US as more of us became aware of how much we were getting price gouged up here. The federal government raised the duty free limits on goods purchased in the US pretty significantly so I think maybe Prime Minister Harper thought provincial sales tax and some retailers were being unpatriotic.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Attention all Marxists: 3G Capital, of Brazil, owns the majority share of Burger Whooper.

Go boycott Brazil. Preferably by moving there.

Of course, since the overwhelming majority of Burger Whopper restaurants (not sure I feel comfortable calling them a restaurant, but for the sake of discussion..........) are franchises (that means not owned by the evil corporation), you will only be hurting the exploited, overworked masses that you pretend to care about, if you boycott them.

And while you are in a high state of fake outrage, dig into how Warren Buffett is always at war, with the Gestapo, I mean IRS, over how much taxes his company owes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.