Will Kiffin Coach From The Sideline Or The Press Box?

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
The beat writer from the @Anniston Star: Saban: "I’ve never made the OC come down but we’re going to do it this year." I'm sorry this just doesn't sound good to me.
CNS provided some most illuminating context for this in his presser, so might be worth takin' a look...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Great call!
I felt that Coach Saban would ask him to be on the field, simply because Kiffin's used to being a head coach, on the sideline, and would probably be more comfortable and relaxed there.
Also, with two very inexperienced Quarterbacks, I kinda thought Coach Saban would want Coach Kiffin readily available to settle them down if necessary.
sip

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I wouldn't look at it like that.. I do see what you are saying, but I think Coach Saban recognizes the opportunity for Kiffin to connect better with the players on the field, and as I stated in the other thread, that anytime He see something going on, He can connect with the players on the sideline, and have a way to connect to them emotionally and mentally. Look at Kirby and the way he coaches up the players on the sideline.. anytime someone screws up.. he's right there to cuss their ... out.
I felt that Coach Saban would ask him to be on the field, simply because Kiffin's used to being a head coach, on the sideline, and would probably be more comfortable and relaxed there.
Also, with two very inexperienced Quarterbacks, I kinda thought Coach Saban would want Coach Kiffin readily available to settle them down if necessary.
sip

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I like that CNS is doing this. After all the success he's had he continues to adapt and try new things. That's crucial to sustaining success IMO.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I wouldn't look at it like that.. I do see what you are saying, but I think Coach Saban recognizes the opportunity for Kiffin to connect better with the players on the field, and as I stated in the other thread, that anytime He see something going on, He can connect with the players on the sideline, and have a way to connect to them emotionally and mentally. Look at Kirby and the way he coaches up the players on the sideline.. anytime someone screws up.. he's right there to cuss their ... out.
..that too! :)

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I read the article linked above. I understand Saban's point about why he insisted Kiffin coach from the field, although Kiffin would rather be up in the box. Saban then goes on to explain how he won't be interrupting the OC's playcalling while we have the ball, he will trust Kiffin's judgment and not micromanage things.

My conclusion is that Saban trusts Kiffin to call the plays as the game goes on, but will overrule Kiffin's opinion about where Kiffin should actually coach from.

Maybe Saban just wants the OC to be within reach during the games so Saban can light him up if needed. :)

The last paragraph in the article seems to be mixed up :

Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart has been a mainstay on the sidelines since he took over the position in 2008. Saban did not mention who would join Kiffin in the press box Saturday against West Virginia.
The entire story was about why Kiffin will coach on the field, then concludes by making reference to who will join Kiffin where the writer just said Kiffin would not be. :confused:

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
When Kiffin was HC at UT, he never could figure out how to use the headphone system at Bryant Denny, this may be part of the reason too :biggrin:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.