Bama Practice Observations

jaakRTR

3rd Team
Nov 21, 2010
Lexington Alabama
Hope it's ok to copy/paste this on here, but read this online. Thought it was a good read. Especially liked the part about 2 scout team offenses practicing against the D.

Jason

I have a business associate who does advertising with Crimson Tide Sports Network. As part of this commitment, his business if given 4 practice passes so he and three others can attend one fall practice each year. This is truly behind the scenes after the media is gone stuff. Observations from Friday:

* QBs go to the furthest side of the field away from media access point. The media hears a unique horn signifying that they are allowed to come out and they (literally) run through the designated doors b/c their allowed time begins the second the horn sounds.

* they're allowed only to a certain point on the field and when the horn sounds again signifying their time is up all managers drop what they are doing and literally start shielding practice and guiding media off the field. There is no "let be get this last picture" going on. The horn sounds, you leave.

* Blake Sims surprised. Apparently, none of the coaches expected him to do what he's done in fall camp. The team loves him, he's performing well, he's committed. Based on Friday, I think he starts and gets the majority of the snaps on Saturday, and likely for at least the two weeks after that.

* Coker is an enormous talent, but it doesn't seem that he's put it "all together" yet. Sims had clear control of huddle and offense. Coker is way more talented (strongest arm since Brodie, and maybe even stronger than that..also, he has the frame to hold up if he ultimately starts), but Sims is ahead on the intangibles.

* All the RBs are quick. Stunningly quick. The size of Henry will take you by surprise. He looks like an LB or DE playing RB. Massive. Goes without saying, but this is a great strength for the team. Any of the three would start at 90% of D1 schools. Drake is incredibly quick.

* The D looks big, fast, mean, and mad. The entire hour and a half someone - Saban or Smart usually - was yelling at them. Not "come on you can do better" type yelling. I mean "what the **** are you doing?! get there! faster, ******. you've got to go faster". And they responded.

* Not sure what happened with Tony Brown, but Saban got in his face and said "why the **** are you fighting with the people trying to help you? just do your job". He had gotten beat on a play, but it seemed more than that one play was bothering Saban. That said, he's going to start at some point this year. His talent is obvious.

* Best part, IMO - there are two scout team offenses. as soon as one scout team O finishes a play, the other scout team is at the line of scrimmage ready to snap the ball. The D doesn't substitute. They just have to line it up in a hurry (more yelling of "encouragement" is done in between snaps..."hurry...let's go...move your ......line it up"). This process was so tight and smooth. It was impressive how they are coaching around the hurry up.

* The team size and speed is probably the best we've ever had. I know people keep trying to say this will be a "down" year at Bama. I don't buy it. If we get slightly above average QB play - and it is consistent - then this team SHOULD be in the playoff.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I really liked hearing about the two scout team offenses lining up one after another. We will be ready for the hunh. Thanks for sharing.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
That two scout team O sounds really good. We've got a chance!

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
IIRC that's how Stanford practiced/prepared for Oregon and other tempo teams.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
IIRC that's how Stanford practiced/prepared for Oregon and other tempo teams.
I recall that as well. Someone posted a rather extensive article about how Stanford has dealt with Oregon. It boiled down to this aspect of changing practice techniques, simplifying play calls, and I think maybe tackling well. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that we have borrowed from teams that have had more success defending these types of attacks. I truly think if we get more accustomed to playing the speed teams and simplify things a bit so the guys can play a little faster we won't have the problems that we have had recently.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
And we're deep too, brother. Looking at the two deep I can see us rotating the entire front 7 and remaining pretty nasty.
By this, I gather you mean rotating between series, not plays?

Given the inherent difficulty w making substitutions against the HUNH...

Man I hope the refs keep a closer eye on what the HUNH have been getting away with to-date...

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Man I hope the refs keep a closer eye on what the HUNH have been getting away with to-date...
I think the SEC has an extra official on the field this year because of HUNH offenses. Sort of an experiment to see if it goes league wide next season. Sounds like officials are starting to get active about the problem.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
And we're deep too, brother. Looking at the two deep I can see us rotating the entire front 7 and remaining pretty nasty.
we're deep across the DL and OLB, but not really for ILB unless we move someone inside. We really need all the ILBs to stay healthy the entire year or could have issues.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yeah, deep is always a great thing. I bet they their going to be nasty as well. All of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By this, I gather you mean rotating between series, not plays?

Given the inherent difficulty w making substitutions against the HUNH...
Not necessarily every play, but the uptempo HUNH teams do take breaks between plays (ala incomplete pass, sack, etc). At that point, Bama can substitute the front 7 during a series.

I think the SEC has an extra official on the field this year because of HUNH offenses. Sort of an experiment to see if it goes league wide next season. Sounds like officials are starting to get active about the problem.
The eighth official is for only one crew. Does not apply to every SEC crew.

we're deep across the DL and OLB, but not really for ILB unless we move someone inside. We really need all the ILBs to stay healthy the entire year or could have issues.
Against these teams Bama stays primarily in a nickel or dime defense. A guy like Dillon Lee can go form OLB to ILB in that situation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.