News Article: Behind Hogs' 'Momma's Boys,' Bielema Confident of an Upset on Saturday at Auburn

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
So do I.

Arky has running backs. Some say they're close to where we are with talented RB depth.
After watching the SEC Network and getting a chance to look at Arkie a little closer, they do have some studs at RB. I imagine that they have been working all Summer on dealing with Auburn right out of the chute so I imagine they will be ready. If they can control the clock and keep the Auburn O on the bench, I can see an upset and personally, the Barn opening with an SEC loss would make my weekend. That and LSU taking a dump against Wisconsin.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If Marshall was actually "suspended" I'd give the pigs a chance. I have a feeling though we're talking about a one series or maybe even a one play suspension.
I just don't think they can slow Auburn down.
I'd pick Auburn to win 42-31.
sip

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Auburn is due some bad bounces this season. Too many things went their way last year. I expect them to drop at least two games to underdogs this year, I'm hoping the Hogs are up to it.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
If they have really put that much effort and emphasis on this game, they are setting themselves up for a lot of disappointment. A big loss could be something that would be hard to recover from.

I think a lot of people are forgetting how much luck Auburn's season involved last year. A lot of us didn't think much of Auburn until later in the season, and I'm not sure they were a very good team until later in the season (they beat Washington State by one TD, Miss. State by 4, lost to LSU, beat Texas A&M by 4, and only had 20 more yards than a lousy Arkansas team). They had tons of luck, in the A&M game, in the Arkansas game, Georgia game, and Alabama game for instance.

I can certainly understand why Arkansas would think they have a chance, they had one the last time.
K, I'm not sure everyone realizes that. They were one break away touchdown from stealing that game. The only thing I am worried about for Arky is that they play on the road.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I watched our game against them in 2011 the other day. I forgot they were actually competitive and played well at the beginning. We ended up pulling away and winning by a comfortable margin in the second half. 2010 was an even closer game that we had to win near the end.

They have really slumped since 2011. Kind of sad..but not really. I am interested in seeing how they play this Saturday..but I see no chance they win.
I totally agree. I do however believe as the season progresses the Hogs may be a dangerous team. As for the barn I still believe they are better than we, as a group, are willing to admit.

kat4bama

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2009
I think he said all that just to get his team fired up. I would love it if they could pull off the win.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Auburn is due some bad bounces this season. Too many things went their way last year. I expect them to drop at least two games to underdogs this year, I'm hoping the Hogs are up to it.
That's true. For all their luck in 2010, look at where their program went after that. The universe had to reset itself and will do so again.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
One thing I'll give the last two SEC Champion Auburn teams a lot of credit for is that they seem to be able to score as needed. Normally they weren't high-scoring teams, but when the other team scores, they usually match. Look at the 2010 Arkansas game. They ended up scoring a ridiculous amount of points because Arkansas kept scoring...they matched. Same thing with Missouri in 2013. Missouri scored frequently, Auburn scored frequently. And against FSU in the BCSNCG, they scored at the end after being scoreless in the second half...because FSU had just taken the lead. Obviously they left too much time, but the pattern is there. They usually score when they have to and it makes them very dangerous.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think figuring out Auburn is one of the great mysteries of life, kind of like why the prettiest girls often wind up married to the ugliest dudes imaginable.

Now Auburn's OFFENSE - I said their OFFENSE -is very good. It is going to be VERY good this year and could well place them high in the national picture. Their defense? Not so much. Auburn seemingly does not realize that defense is a good chunk of the game. If Gus Malzahn does not get him a decent DC then he's going to become a modern version of Steve Spurrier - the guy who can put up 70 points on Kentucky but really is clueless when the nitty gets gritty.

Writing off their entire year as a fluke is a mistake - but then again, so is thinking they were actually a great team. The thing that sickens me is that if the UGA miracle does not happen then WE PLAY FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP when we beat Missouri last year. That is the one I can't get over. Hey, let them have their fun with that game and us win it all? I think we could all live with that.

However, Auburn benefited from a number of things last year. Keep in mind this is a team that needed a late TD drive from Marshall to beat Miss State, barely outlasted an overmatched Washington State, won the aTm game because of a non-call, got just plain lucky against UGA and made us pay for not putting them away. This team JUST LIKE THEIR 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP team was a few breaks from 7-7. (How many of you remember the fact that Georgia scored more points in an eight-minute span in the fourth quarter than the rest of the game? The Aub defense was horrific). But then again - they were also not as BAD as that 3-9 horror in 2012, either. They could easily have won three of those games and been 6-6, which would have kept Chizik aboard, esp if one of those was LSU.

So they're decent but not awesome except on offense. Can Arky beat them? Well, the score will be 0-0 when they start and Arky knows their playing the SEC champs. Could be. Do I expect it? No, but I didn't expect App St to beat Michigan, either.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
Burt, Bert, Rhett, Bret, whatever his name is needs to win a few SEC games before openly being so "confident".
But ole Gussy and the Barn-turds may just be Arky's inspiration this year. If i recall correctly, Auburn in 2012 became the first team in SEC history to finish 7th in the West, at 0-8 in the conference. What did they do the next year? Win the conference. Why shouldn't Arkansas think they could do the same. I hope they beat Auburn 55-0.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I don't expect an upset, but closer than expected is possible. If Arkansas could expose some weaknesses in Auburn and keep it close, it could set the tone for the rest of the year. I would think that Arkansas is like Bama in that they are preparing for the HUNH, and once enough teams learn how to control it, Auburn and a lot of other HUNH teams are going to have problems.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.