News Article: Behind Hogs' 'Momma's Boys,' Bielema Confident of an Upset on Saturday at Auburn

The Kig

May 1, 2014
As a fan of both Bama and Arkansas, I know it is a big hill to climb to beat the defending SEC Champs (spit... they were a few miracles away from a mediocre season). Barn wasn't nearly as good as their record indicated last year and Arkansas wasn't as bad as their record. No doubt, Arkansas was terrible last year in certain phases of the game (Secondary, LB's and overall QB play) and was still reeling from the Petrino disaster. Brandon Allen played hurt most of the year and there was zero depth at QB to step in. He is healthy and the Offense has a much better grasp of Chaney's playbook.

The primary reason I think this game COULD be a win for the Hogs is that Defensively they are going to be much improved. The back 7 was horrendus and the one strength of the team (D-line) was the victim of a weak D-Coordinator last year. Adding a much more aggressive philosophy with a new coordinator and some actual linebackers will pay dividends. Still not up to SEC par on the 2-deep, so injuries will play a big role.

Not many teams were able to keep Auburn from moving the ball last year and I don't think Arkansas will completely stop them this year. My view is that this game will be very close with one team (hopefully the Hogs) winning by no more than 3 points.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
One thing everyone should realize - as lucky as the barners were last year, they still have a ton of talent (despite what my barner brother says about the Circus Master inheriting a team with no talent - glad he was the only family member that got the idiot gene). Chicklets had some very highly ranked classes, and some of those higher rated recruits are still around. Last year was the first year for the Circus Master; I think they a)won't be any better offensively because of what they are replacing there (and maybe refs waking up) and b) won't be any better defensively because of who they still have there (and they lost a few, including Lawson). If they don't have similar luck, they lose at least four games; I just don't see this as being one of them. Much as I would love to see it. Hogs have to show they have a defense.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As a fan of both Bama and Arkansas, I know it is a big hill to climb to beat the defending SEC Champs (spit... they were a few miracles away from a mediocre season). Barn wasn't nearly as good as their record indicated last year and Arkansas wasn't as bad as their record. No doubt, Arkansas was terrible last year in certain phases of the game (Secondary, LB's and overall QB play) and was still reeling from the Petrino disaster. Brandon Allen played hurt most of the year and there was zero depth at QB to step in. He is healthy and the Offense has a much better grasp of Chaney's playbook.

The primary reason I think this game COULD be a win for the Hogs is that Defensively they are going to be much improved. The back 7 was horrendus and the one strength of the team (D-line) was the victim of a weak D-Coordinator last year. Adding a much more aggressive philosophy with a new coordinator and some actual linebackers will pay dividends. Still not up to SEC par on the 2-deep, so injuries will play a big role.

Not many teams were able to keep Auburn from moving the ball last year and I don't think Arkansas will completely stop them this year. My view is that this game will be very close with one team (hopefully the Hogs) winning by no more than 3 points.
Then get your wins early before your starters start getting injured.

I'll be rooting for them hogs!

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Woo Pig Suie!! Seriously though I don't see it. They have quality defensive starters but the depth issue there will be huge on Saturday. On the bright side (if there is one), their QB play couldnt get any worse than it did last year. They were atrocious.

On another note, I would have been interesting to see the Humphrey vs. Humphrey matchup when we play Arkansas. This would have been his brother's Sr. year there. This is assuming Marlon would have gotten some PT at DB. Too bad Marlon's brother got kicked off the team.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.