News Article: Behind Hogs' 'Momma's Boys,' Bielema Confident of an Upset on Saturday at Auburn

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The coach strolled into his office in Fayetteville, looking like he didn't have a care in the world, like he was heading for the beach. In the Arkansas football offices it's causal day every day. On a recent tar-bubbling summer afternoon Bret Bielema--wearing a golf shirt, shorts and loafers with no socks--plopped down on a sofa and spoke about his wonderful life: how he met his traffic-stopping wife, Jen, at a blackjack table in Las Vegas in 2008; how he loves nothing more than hanging out by his backyard pool with his teacup Yorkies, Lucy and Ricky; how he enjoys listening to Bob Marley, whose music poured out of overhead speakers, enhancing the carefree, laid-back vibe.

Then the subject switched to Auburn. Bielema, 44, leaned forward. His eyes narrowed. His pulse quickened. "I love the fact that we play Auburn to start the season," he said. "We're coming off a three-win season, OK. We've needed to focus on something positive all offseason, and this game against Auburn is that. We get a chance to show who we are in their home environment. I love it that we get them first. Love it. There's nothing more enjoyable when you see two different philosophies clash."
Bert seems very confident.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Burt, Bert, Rhett, Bret, whatever his name is needs to win a few SEC games before openly being so "confident".
He could start by winning just one. He should be less concerned about an upset and more concerned with simply competing with Auburn.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Nothing at all wrong with a coach being confident in his team and believing they will win. You're not a competitor if you go in thinking the game is already lost. I'm glad he's putting a lot of stock in the barn game.

Everyone has the exact same record in week 1.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You know, I read that and thought here is a coach who has a vision for what he wants to accomplish. He has a vision, or a plan that involves a power rushing attack whose back-bone is a great offensive line.

That is who he is and that is what he plans to do.

What is he supposed to say when interviewed? "No, I don't think we've got a chance."

I thought it was a pretty good article.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I watched our game against them in 2011 the other day. I forgot they were actually competitive and played well at the beginning. We ended up pulling away and winning by a comfortable margin in the second half. 2010 was an even closer game that we had to win near the end.

They have really slumped since 2011. Kind of sad..but not really. I am interested in seeing how they play this Saturday..but I see no chance they win.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If it weren't for turnovers last season, they might've pulled it out.
I think a lot of people are forgetting how much luck Auburn's season involved last year. A lot of us didn't think much of Auburn until later in the season, and I'm not sure they were a very good team until later in the season (they beat Washington State by one TD, Miss. State by 4, lost to LSU, beat Texas A&M by 4, and only had 20 more yards than a lousy Arkansas team). They had tons of luck, in the A&M game, in the Arkansas game, Georgia game, and Alabama game for instance.

I can certainly understand why Arkansas would think they have a chance, they had one the last time.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think a lot of people are forgetting how much luck Auburn's season involved last year. A lot of us didn't think much of Auburn until later in the season, and I'm not sure they were a very good team until later in the season (they beat Washington State by one TD, Miss. State by 4, lost to LSU, beat Texas A&M by 4, and only had 20 more yards than a lousy Arkansas team). They had tons of luck, in the A&M game, in the Arkansas game, Georgia game, and Alabama game for instance.

I can certainly understand why Arkansas would think they have a chance, they had one the last time.
My mom asked me last week why folks are high on Alabama after a 2 loss season but not nearly as high on Auburn after their season.

I pointed out exactly what you did. They went 11-1 in the regular season but could have easily been 4-8.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Glad you mention this. Coupled with their mediocore early part of last year with their amazing finish I really think people (and especially the Barn fans) think they were a lot better than they really were.

Look, they played really good ball toward the end of the year and probably should have beaten FSU in the NC game, but they enjoyed the most fortuituous bounce in the history of college football on that play against GA. The score against us on the kick six wasn't so much luck as it was "highly unlikely" that you win a game like that on the last play of the game by returning a fg 109 yards.

Just case in point: I overheard two older guys who were watching the Bama/Barn replay from last year talking one day in a pro shop. It was the point in the game, near the end, when we had shot our self in the foot with the false start that negated the first down near the goal line and then right after we missed the next to last fg to go up 10 with less than 3 minutes to play. One of the old guys looked at the other, as we are litterally puking the game away, and said "Auburn was the most improved team in the country last year."

So let the Barners interpret the lousy play early, lucky bounce against GA, and our lousy, sloppy play that contributed to their win as "improvement.'

I hope their bubble get's burst early and if the Hogs upset them I'd actually do the most embarrassing cheer in college football: the hog call!

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
This is Bulimic...I remember his days at Wisconsin. He had opportunities (and the talent) to win some huge games, but IIRC he failed on almost all of them.
There is nothing I would rather see than the hogs curb stomp the barners, nothing...but it ain't happening. Not this year, and I'm not even sure how close it will be.
Forget their offense, I'm not sure the hogs have a defense that can even slow down any HUNH, but we'll see in a few days.

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
As Coach Saban recently said, "Confidence in the absence of knowledge and experience... is kind of stupid." ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.