News Article: Slow down! Refs want to hit pause on up-tempo play

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
http://www.wsbtv.com/ap/ap/sports/s...t-pause-on-up-tempo-play/ng8wD/?__federated=1

We'll see if they actually do as they say they want to...

"There was a sense of urgency because it was something new to us, especially the teams that wanted to go at that fast pace," said Gerald Austin, coordinator of officials for Conference USA. "Across the country, we pretty much said, wait a minute, there's no obligation to speed up how we get the ball spotted during the normal portion of the game."

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This is the only real solution to keep the game balanced. I don't think they can set a time limit between plays. That would cause to many unintended consequences. I have no problem with offenses going fast but as the article says the referees should not be in a frantic rush to get the ball set. It gives the offense a schematic advantage and the advantage that the referees are not in proper position to identify illegal formations, illegal pre-snap movements, etc. What the NFL did with Chip Kelly was perfect. Chip can run his uptempo offense as fast as the officials let him. And it isn't like the officials are slowing his offense down much, they are just making sure the defense has been given proper time to substitute and get set and that all the officials are in place. I hope the college referees adopt this way of officiating the HUNH. They should also tell the head coaches that the officials will control the pace of the game and to not ride them the entire game about getting the ball placed and "hurrying up."

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'll believe it when I see it because as stated it's not new rules but general agreed upon outlines. If it was a rule or set of rules they HAD to implement then they would go overboard in enforcing them. But who's to say they won't still get 'caught up' in the urgency of the tempo when it's just guidelines they're following?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
When the number of Illegal Motion penalties and inside holding calls double or triple -- THEN, I'll believe it too.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
This article states all that is really needed. Let the officials get set. They can move a quick pace, but not be run crazy. When everyone of the officials is ready put the ball in play. It will the defenses job to be ready at that point. I agree that this something I will be watching closely, and I would love to see a couple of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on a some coaches screaming at the refs to go faster. Warn them to back off like with a sideline warning, and then hit them with the penalty.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Talks cheap. I've got to see it for myself.
I've got to see them call penalties on some of the guys who aren't set when the play begins.
Too many uptempo teams got away with bloody murder last year. Holding calls MISSED.
Motion calls MISSED ect...
Assorted other calls MISSED. Officials were responding to the hurry up teams request,
at the determent of Defenses. Officials were not set when play resumed. They missed a lot.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
...They should also tell the head coaches that the officials will control the pace of the game and to not ride them the entire game about getting the ball placed and "hurrying up."
You start tossing that yellow flag (the 15 yard variety) at these coaches for hounding the refs and it will stop.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I have noticed some refs will speed up their movements to help the offense and that drives me crazy. I'm glad some of the SEC refs did try to slow it down last year. It's not fair to make the defense move faster, the refs should be one speed the whole time no matter what the offense tries to do. They should move slow period.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This article states all that is really needed. Let the officials get set. They can move a quick pace, but not be run crazy. When everyone of the officials is ready put the ball in play. It will the defenses job to be ready at that point. I agree that this something I will be watching closely, and I would love to see a couple of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties on a some coaches screaming at the refs to go faster. Warn them to back off like with a sideline warning, and then hit them with the penalty.
Essentially this is what they did with the 25 second clock. Clock was started once all officials were in place. I don't know why they got away from it with the clock change but they have got to reign this in.

James Eagle

1st Team
Aug 9, 2011
North Georgia
I want the Refs to be consistent in the time taken to spot the ball. The game should be allowed to progress at a tempo that the refs can adequately and accurately manage.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
It's not really slowing the offense down if the officials aren't set and ready for the plan, it's allowing the offense to run as fast as the normal officiating will allow. A devils' advocate would say, if an offense can dictate the speed of a game, then why can't the defense at the end of a game demand a ultra quick spot and stop to the clock to leave as much time on the clock for their offense, right? If we're gonna give one group special permission, then we gotta give that special permission on the other side of the ball too.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Yep. I cannot believe the way officials have let players, of all people, push them to a faster pace. There have been a couple of cases where I thought "this is it, he's going to put the ball under his arm and chew that guy out" instead they just started running. It was kind of embarrassing, I thought. Who supervises whom?

And, I agree with all those that say they'll believe it when they see it and flags start flying. Those snaps while the official was still between the linemen and the linebackers (and sometimes still between the linemen) were ridiculous. I also want to see some flags for ineligible down field. The Barn probably got away with that 50 times last year.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
If the officials are not willing to control the game, they should just put WWE on their uniforms, because they are about as useful as a wrestling referee.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
"It's not specific rules, but more of an outline on how to appease the up-tempo offenses while keeping the defenses relatively happy."

i find this quote less than comforting.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
"It's not specific rules, but more of an outline on how to appease the up-tempo offenses while keeping the defenses relatively happy."

i find this quote less than comforting.
Pretty much everything I've seen done, in terms of addressing the issue so far seems to have this dual edged aspect. I do see indications they are addressing the worst of the officials completely being out of position, but when they talk about things, I don't see any clear indication that there is an intent to set a certain reasonable pace, regardless of what the offense wants. They still seem to desire to keep up with the offense...

You can't just get rid of all refs who can't run fast enough, keep adding refs to enable you to keep up, etc... ultimately there needs to be a standard that says ok, the refs will not even attempt to operate faster than a particular speed, and one would hope that particular speed also allows the defense to substitute (as not allowing substitutions is just an unintended side effect of the clock change+hurry up). Until they are willing to set a standard, I don't think the problem will really be addressed, rather which crew you get turns into Russian roulette. You could get a crew that was even faster than the pace last year, or you could get one that refuses to trip over themselves.

Hopefully though, the refs have to start to realize they're being played for suckers. Running around like idiots, just so they can keep the defense from substituting. Then, they stand there for a while until the offense which suddenly isn't in such a big hurry gets the play from the sideline and hikes the ball. If they get sufficiently irritated by that nonsense, that should help some...

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.