News Article: Slow down! Refs want to hit pause on up-tempo play

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
If they would just follow the NFL model, I don't think anyone would be complaining. Those guys never run around like chickens with their heads cut off to appease an offense. They stand over the ball for the rule-required time period, mark it for play, and efficiently get out of the way. The skill and ability of SEC officials is a subject for another (long) thread.

I know there is a LOT of pressure not just from coaches, but also from the media, to protect the hurry up. I understand that some, especially casual, fans, love it. I think it is arena ball, all that's missing is really loud, irritating music and strobe lights.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
If they're not going slow it down with the HUNH teams, then they need to turn their backs when regular-tempo teams line up on offense. It's only fair.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic about this issue because so many people are drawing attention to it and there are a lot of high-profile non-HUNH teams that will continue to complain until something is done. Complaining works in this country.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Same goes for QB's yelling and clapping their hands at the refs to spot the ball more quickly.
Yep, that should definitely be stopped. I remember Aub QB Marshall doing that several times in our game last season. Looked like a petulant child.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Essentially this is what they did with the 25 second clock. Clock was started once all officials were in place. I don't know why they got away from it with the clock change but they have got to reign this in.
I think that was television wanting two things:
1. Games being over quicker.
2. Television loving high scoring games.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
You know, I think hurry up teams would go crazy if we said that we should get rid of the snap clock because we like to play slow. Since we like to play slow, we should be able to take a full minute between snaps if we want. Oh no, they would go crazy about that; however, all we want is for the officials to be set, but they say we are picking on the hunh concept. It is more than ridiculous, but they cry and get their way because some idiots actually enjoy 63-60 football games.

TerryR

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 12, 2011
Wetumpka, AL
If they're not going slow it down with the HUNH teams, then they need to turn their backs when regular-tempo teams line up on offense. It's only fair.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic about this issue because so many people are drawing attention to it and there are a lot of high-profile non-HUNH teams that will continue to complain until something is done. Complaining works in this country.
General Reply to many others posting - not only yours.
These HUNH teams think they should be able to dictate the pace and the officials be damned. Whatever happened to the official who spots the ball, STANDS over the ball, checks the position of the other officials, alignment of teams et al - then allows the play to be put in motion. To not see that officials are being driven by these hurry up teams/coaches/players is to be ignorant. I thought Steve Shaw, Supv of SEC officials, said they will add an 8th official at random games - not all games. To add another official lends credence that they realize they have some problems with this modus operandi. Illegal motion, illegal linemen down field, players not set, alignments askew, officials caught up in the plays scurrying trying to get in position or get out of the way....how much more does one need to see??

The Kig

May 1, 2014
I want the Refs to be consistent in the time taken to spot the ball. The game should be allowed to progress at a tempo that the refs can adequately and accurately manage.
This is the key... but will be the hardest thing to manage. Some refs will support, or at least not have an issue with, the faster paced offenses. Others will not...

Unless there is some mandate to the entire group, some refs will interpret it one way or another... that has the potential to create chaos. If a team gets a crew that leans towards slowing the game down ( example...when Bama plays Barn) or vice versa, the other team will cry foul.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Simply allowing all officials to be properly set would be a giant leap forward for football-kind.

BamaBuff24

1st Team
May 2, 2000
FWB, FL USA
I remember watching a bowl game last year and I paid attention to the officials. A few times the umpire was not set in his position before the snap. Someone will get hurt if they keep going. That is why in the nfl the umpire is place in the backfield because they were getting hurt. I don’t totally agree with CNS about the hurry up offense but there should be more control by the officials. I am not sure most Offense lines are even set before the snap.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
One way to tell if the officials are serious about controlling the pace is to watch the reaction of Auburn fans on Facebook. If they are whining about the refs making bad calls, then the refs are controlling the pace and calling penalties that were missed last year. Then again, if they were up by 50, they would still whine about some "bad" call in the first quarter.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think that was television wanting two things:
1. Games being over quicker.
2. Television loving high scoring games.
I went back and read over what people were saying about the change to the clock rules, and it was being sold as a way to speed up the games, but that it would probably result in a few less plays. There wasn't that much talk at all about it, and that was even noted. Interestingly, Rich Rod was in support of it, while he was one of those who argued adamantly against the mandatory ten second wait (in other words, his bias was obvious, he clearly didn't mind changing the clock rules in his favor).

At least the way it was being presented, it seemed as though there was no anticipation of there actually being more plays. Logically, and the way it was intended, one could understand why that would be the case. They were shortening the game, how could you then get off more plays? Defensive substitutions weren't even discussed.

But, by reviewing the data, what we saw was that yes despite measures taken that apparently shortened the game, we still saw an increase in plays. Except for the coaches that were silently hatching their strategies (like Rich Rod, who now runs what would have been the fastest offense prior to the clock change), I don't think anyone else, television included really understood what the clock changes would do. It was unintended and it needs to be fixed.

To add another official lends credence that they realize they have some problems with this modus operandi.
I think the additional ref also shows an unwillingness to deal properly with the problem as well though. The issue was not that they didn't have enough refs... if they did their job properly, there would be no issues with their being out of position. It might help, but it is addressing a symptom, not the problem.

I think most of us agree that there needs to be consistency, and the only way to be truly consistent is to set a reasonable pace that all refs can work at, and use that regardless of what the offense wants to do.

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
If people are so adamant about not having to stop and wait for officials, I have a suggestion: Take up Rugby... oh wait, even in Rugby there are pauses for the official to place the ball... How about Basketball? ... Hmm... time-outs, in-bounds plays, having to wait to substitute your players... Sprinting? ... who wants to wait for the gun when you can get a head start... It's looking like Hockey's your only option to be happy...

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I went back and read over what people were saying about the change to the clock rules, and it was being sold as a way to speed up the games, but that it would probably result in a few less plays. There wasn't that much talk at all about it, and that was even noted. Interestingly, Rich Rod was in support of it, while he was one of those who argued adamantly against the mandatory ten second wait (in other words, his bias was obvious, he clearly didn't mind changing the clock rules in his favor).

At least the way it was being presented, it seemed as though there was no anticipation of there actually being more plays. Logically, and the way it was intended, one could understand why that would be the case. They were shortening the game, how could you then get off more plays? Defensive substitutions weren't even discussed.

But, by reviewing the data, what we saw was that yes despite measures taken that apparently shortened the game, we still saw an increase in plays. Except for the coaches that were silently hatching their strategies (like Rich Rod, who now runs what would have been the fastest offense prior to the clock change), I don't think anyone else, television included really understood what the clock changes would do. It was unintended and it needs to be fixed.

I think the additional ref also shows an unwillingness to deal properly with the problem as well though. The issue was not that they didn't have enough refs... if they did their job properly, there would be no issues with their being out of position. It might help, but it is addressing a symptom, not the problem.

I think most of us agree that there needs to be consistency, and the only way to be truly consistent is to set a reasonable pace that all refs can work at, and use that regardless of what the offense wants to do.

This. You have basically summarized the root of the problem. The clock rule changes were the genesis of this whole thing.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I think that this year we are going to see more fake injuries if the refs don't do something. The part most needing addressed is when the ref runs and grabs the ball when the play is over and quick as he can he places the ball on the line of scrimmage and whistles the ball into play even before the other refs are set. I don't really care if the defenses don't have time to substitute but at least let the refs get into position for one second.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
The HUNH is turning the game into garbage. If they want to fast break, go play basketball...
Now I DO enjoy watching the HUNH offenses... I really do. Do I want Bama to run it? No. But I think the Oregon offense us fun to watch. Frankly, I think the Auburn offense is fun to watch, too. However, the officials ABSOLUTELY do not need to change their routines (and make mistakes, miss calls, etc.) solely because the offense wants them to hurry up. The pace of the offense should not change what the officials do.

The Kig

May 1, 2014
Now I DO enjoy watching the HUNH offenses... I really do. Do I want Bama to run it? No. But I think the Oregon offense us fun to watch. Frankly, I think the Auburn offense is fun to watch, too. However, the officials ABSOLUTELY do not need to change their routines (and make mistakes, miss calls, etc.) solely because the offense wants them to hurry up. The pace of the offense should not change what the officials do.
Agreed. I don't even fault the coaches for looking at different creative ways to give their teams an advantage. Without that, the forward pass would still be heresy.

When the teams that were running kooky offenses were still losing when they played traditional football teams this wasn't all that visible. Teams like Oregon and Barn have made it to the big game and national exposure has people picking sides. Both teams in the SECCG (Barn shouldn't have been there and the East was a Charlie Foxtrot) last year run some variation of this clock management style.

Hopefully Bama takes care of business this year and ends up in the playoff/winning it all, but imagine the comedy if the refs do what they are talking about and two teams make it to the final game that want to run 100 plays each.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
I think that this year we are going to see more fake injuries if the refs don't do something. The part most needing addressed is when the ref runs and grabs the ball when the play is over and quick as he can he places the ball on the line of scrimmage and whistles the ball into play even before the other refs are set. I don't really care if the defenses don't have time to substitute but at least let the refs get into position for one second.
It is a good thing that I am not a ref. If one of my crewmates did that to me, I would be blowing my whistle like a maniac until I was in position. In fact, I tend to slow down when people around me start to do the headless chicken routine, so I would take my own sweet time getting in position, whistle blowing all the while.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It is a good thing that I am not a ref. If one of my crewmates did that to me, I would be blowing my whistle like a maniac until I was in position. In fact, I tend to slow down when people around me start to do the headless chicken routine, so I would take my own sweet time getting in position, whistle blowing all the while.
The point you make is what I was going to post about...

Human nature being what it is...it seems to me the more the coaches and players yelled at the refs to hurry up, the slower they would go, deliberately.

And I also agree if I were a ref and my colleague on the field was starting the play before I was set and in place, we would have to reach an understanding. The refs job is to call an impartial game, not accommodate one team over the other.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.