USC CB Josh Shaw admits he lied

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Okay I am confused. I read the article. Did he burglarized his girlfriend's apartment? If so what motive would he have to do that?

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010
Okay I am confused. I read the article. Did he burglarized his girlfriend's apartment? If so what motive would he have to do that?
His motive for burglary? Maybe he wanted to steal some stuff? ;)

Just kidding. I agree that it is a confusing story...but how else to explain two sprained ankles? lol

On the bright side, he's switching his major to Creative Writing...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I know that. Just don't hear very often of stealing from a GF. He could have been stealing from some of her roommates. He might have been shoplifting something else from a roommate and feared getting caught by his GF. Thus the reason for jumping off a 3rd floor balcony.

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
I wouldn't call him a moron, at least he came out with the truth pretty soon after he lied. Most young men can't do that. Now if he was forced to tell the truth would be another story but I haven't seen that anywhere

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
The best lies are simple with very little detail provided. That's my tip of the day to the children.

Did this moron really not expect to be called on his grandiose story?

TexasTider

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 6, 2004
I do find the difference in handling this between USC and ND to be interesting. Wouldn't be shocked if the revelation process was similar but the way the school handled it totally different.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You do not have to steal to commit burglary - you just have to enter without consent with an intent to commit a crime. The police were looking for a burglary suspect because of the way that he jumped, but the intent to commit a crime is a requirement to make that stick. Since he was seen jumping from his girlfriend's balcony, that charge will probably never be brought since a robbery was never reported (that we know of).

I don't know why he jumped. But I wouldn't make the assumption that he entered with an intent to steal anything.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You do not have to steal to commit burglary - you just have to enter without consent with an intent to commit a crime. The police were looking for a burglary suspect because of the way that he jumped, but the intent to commit a crime is a requirement to make that stick. Since he was seen jumping from his girlfriend's balcony, that charge will probably never be brought since a robbery was never reported (that we know of).

I don't know why he jumped. But I wouldn't make the assumption that he entered with an intent to steal anything.
That's what stuck out to me.

This quote from the article:

Witnesses described the suspect: "They saw a black male with dreadlocks leave the apartment from the balcony," Preciado said the police report reads.

Preciado said the officers then broke the door open and searched inside, but no one was there.
The police are called because a black man with dreadlocks was seen leaving the apartment. They knock on the door...no answer. They then break down the door, finding everything in order.

We don't know if anything was stolen, or even reported stolen. We do know the police kicked in a door to investigate. Good grief.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I know a lot of people don't like Rome but his barbs are pretty funny if they aren't directed at your team/school.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
The police are called because a black man with dreadlocks was seen leaving the apartment. They knock on the door...no answer. They then break down the door, finding everything in order.

We don't know if anything was stolen, or even reported stolen. We do know the police kicked in a door to investigate. Good grief.
According to this article, there was more to it than what you are describing.

"On August 23, at around 10:40 p.m., officers responded to a radio call of a screaming woman at the 500 block of Figueroa," Kim told ESPNLA. "They met witnesses who directed them to the apartment. After knocking on the door there was no response and officers made entry. No one was home. When they looked at the apartment they observed that the rear window had been pried open. Witnesses identified a male, black with dreadlocks leaving the apartment from the balcony. During the investigation the person who lives in the apartment returned and talked about her roommate and boyfriend, Josh Shaw, but he is not named as a suspect."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
According to this article, there was more to it than what you are describing.
Thanks for the additional info...
"On August 23, at around 10:40 p.m., officers responded to a radio call of a screaming woman at the 500 block of Figueroa," Kim told ESPNLA. "They met witnesses who directed them to the apartment. After knocking on the door there was no response and officers made entry. No one was home. When they looked at the apartment they observed that the rear window had been pried open. Witnesses identified a male, black with dreadlocks leaving the apartment from the balcony. During the investigation the person who lives in the apartment returned and talked about her roommate and boyfriend, Josh Shaw, but he is not named as a suspect."
It's still confusing to me...a scream from the vicinity of where the apartment is was called in. Although nobody was there, a broken window on the rear concerned the police, so they kicked in the door.

Who pays to replace the door? The woman who lived there...the one who didn't scream or call the police? Or the building owner? Or the taxpayers?

Last edited:

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Thanks for the additional info...

It's still confusing to me...a scream from the vicinity of where the apartment is was called in. Although nobody was there, a broken window on the rear concerned the police, so they kicked in the door.

Who pays to replace the door? The woman who lived there...the one who didn't scream or call the police? Or the building owner? Or the taxpayers?
I was thinking the same thing. I would expect the PD to pay for the repairs if it were my home...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.